Existing Aquitaine (France)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Gavin

Who, me?
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Zachary said:
This isn't the right thread for me to say this in, but you're not the only one who has thought Griffon Gifts should go. There have been multiple years recently in which it has narrowly avoided demolition. I expect eventually Pepto-Bismol Tower will end up vanishing.

PS: If anyone is curious or wants to start a conversation about this (I can provide additional info), bring it up in the Aquitaine thread. I wanted to reply here because the fact that park management agrees the structure is a massive guest flow problem is relevant to the current Aquitaine overcrowding discussion.
Well since nobody else has asked, I'll bite.

May 17, 2013
Sorry, I meant to take it over here and never got around to it. :cool:

I went through this thread to see if the tower structure had always been there. I've been going to the park on and off for 30 years and just couldn't remember. Apparently it has; though before it was painted like the rest of the hamlet. Though it's a nice structure, I don't feel it is a necessary part that it would have to remain. If I couldn't remember whether it always existed, maybe others wouldn't be too upset. A smaller fountain feature or something to that effect would still make that area look nice, but not take up all the space. Then they could regrade that area going towards Griffon so that the awkward handicap path could go away. And that would leave a nice open area to see Josephine's as you walk up the path. Josephine's could be a great people watching spot if the structure wasn't there.

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
Traffic flow concerns are nothing new in Aquitaine and the hamlet has been modified repeatedly in recent years in hopes of fixing the problem. Three notable alterations are the removal of Oyster's Secret, the reconfiguration of the bathrooms, and the removal of the planter in the center of the hamlet.

To continue this process, going into the off-season leading up to either 2012 or 2013, the park had actually 100% decided to remove the tower. Merchandise was even given notice that they'd have to relocate their operations (presumably to the Griffon photos building). Apparently this news was actually sort of a relief for Merch as Griffon Gifts, with its four open sides and hard to monitor displays, is one of the most stolen from shops in the park.

Anyway, something happened (likely having to do with the finances required for the tower's removal) and it was decided that it would be left standing for the time being. I haven't heard anything since, but don't be surprised if we walk into the park for the first time one season and see it missing- especially now that Aquitaine overcrowding has reached a critical level and it visually blocks one of the parks most successful food locations: Josephine's.

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
I think that the photo building was always planned to be the gift shop. It has an unusually large amount of excess space inside of it and it is not uncommon for photo buildings to also be gift shops at most other parks.

I have a feeling for one reason or another it was decided at the last minute to locate the gift shop in the tower.

Feb 9, 2013
As you can see in this picture the park just posted to Instagram, it looks like the Archangel St. Michael slaying the demon statue has been moved back to its more prominent position in the circle planter in front of La Belle!

[instagram=https://instagram.com/p/BB8GOUBRH0y/]

Sep 29, 2009
It looks like it's had a fresh coat of paint as well. I thought the fountain had potential, but it rarely worked, and the water was always green. I would like to see them place a fountain in another location.

Perhaps it could be a wall fountain against La Belle Maison. I think Aquitaine needs at least one working water feature.

Edit: What are those bands around the tower, behind the Fleur di Lies? Could we see another Aquitaine rework, or is this just to keep it looking fresh and fix maintenance?

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Feb 9, 2013
CastleOSullivan said:
It looks like it's had a fresh coat of paint as well. I thought the fountain had potential, but it rarely worked, and the water was always green. I would like to see them place a fountain in another location.
Edit: What are those bands around the tower, behind the Fleur di Lies? Could we see another Aquitaine rework, or is this just to keep it looking fresh and fix maintenance?
The water in the fountain wasn't green, the bottom had a green coating of some sort, and the lights at the bottom were also green. That was until it stopped working completely and the park just put rocks in the bottom of it for the rest of the season.

Also, the bands on the Aquitaine tower have always been there. Not exactly sure what their use is, but they are not new.

Merboy

Silver Donor
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
I LOVE that statue of St. Michael. It's one of my favorite park decorations. I'm so glad it's back where it belongs.

Also I thought the bands around the turrets were so they could put that crazy sparkly pink stuff on the sides of the building during Illuminights?

Reactions: Joe

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
I'm glad that beautiful statue is back to it's original area with the flowers. It was a pretty sight to look at.

Sep 29, 2009
I don't know if this is a popular opinion or not, but out of the original park hamlets, Aquitaine seems like the least thought out to me. When I look at old concept imagery and the models made at the the time, it seems like the whole area had major down-scaling.

One, which I can no longer find, depicts the Three Musketeers Theatre as having a castle wall surrounding the entire theater. Other than that, everything else was exact. Another photo of a model shows the theater having a grand plaza with a fountain located by the restrooms. In comparison, all other models look almost exact.

To me, the entrance always looked unfinished up until recent renovations. The rest looks like a narrow movie set. I don't know if they still plan on moving the tower where Griffon Gifts is currently located. If they do, they need to add something elegant to tie it all together.

Reactions: Joe and Zachary
Nov 21, 2013
Back in the early days the 3M theater had wooden grandstands for seating with a fabric shade structure/cloth over it. Behind the grandstand were a grove of pines and a petting zoo.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan
Sep 29, 2009
I wasn't even considering the petting zoo, but you're probably right. Maybe that's what they were trying to portray, but the area just looked like a blank space courtyard. Perhaps they didn't know exactly what they wanted to do with that area yet. I guess it's a possibility.

Either way, with that area, the hamlet would look less like a misshapen H form. It might look more like a hamlet that was always meant to be there.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad