Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Reading their description they followed the power lines then cut into the woods until eventually they popped out across from the ride - they think it was legal because they didn't see any signs or fences stating otherwise.

I can imagine there wouldn't be a fence, but I'm curious - is a power line trail considered a public right-of-way? Furthermore, hasn't it been already established that where they were across from the coaster was part of the old Camp Wallace unexploded ordinance/conservation zone of the park's property?

Yeah that is deftly on parked owned land and might be on part of the old Camp Wallace site that is listed by the army corps of engineers as A HIGH provability of unexploded ordinance and hazardous waste. So really not a good idea to go poking around.

Yeah that is deftly on parked owned land and might be on part of the old Camp Wallace site that is listed by the army corps of engineers as A HIGH provability of unexploded ordinance and hazardous waste. So really not a good idea to go poking around.
What was camp wallace?

Reading their description they followed the power lines then cut into the woods until eventually they popped out across from the ride - they think it was legal because they didn't see any signs or fences stating otherwise.

I can imagine there wouldn't be a fence, but I'm curious - is a power line trail considered a public right-of-way? Furthermore, hasn't it been already established that where they were across from the coaster was part of the old Camp Wallace unexploded ordinance/conservation zone of the park's property?
So he would have been standing on the blue marked area in the picture below to get that picture.

It's always been my understanding that the area where it's believed there's a high chance for unexploded ordinance is the area across the water that I marked in red. Also that it's technically in Kingsmill.

In the picture below the entire wooded peninsula between the golf course and the rest of the park is owned by the park.
Screenshot_20201011-233039~2.png

Reactions: Jonesta6
What was camp wallace?
WWII era army base that did live fire training for AA teams bound for Europe.

Army Corps of preliminary report a few back was a little vague on how far towards 60 that the risk extended. I would think it's less likely that close but I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility either.

Went this morning right when Festa opened. The workers said that the ride was down for maintenance and encouraged people to go to other rides. About 5 minutes later another worker came and handed the person working Apollo a clicker and a clipboard, then we were told the ride was open and allowed to board. Glad we stayed and didn't leave like almost everyone else. Anyone know why they would say it was a maintenance issue when they were just waiting on a clicker and a clipboard?

Went this morning right when Festa opened. The workers said that the ride was down for maintenance and encouraged people to go to other rides. About 5 minutes later another worker came and handed the person working Apollo a clicker and a clipboard, then we were told the ride was open and allowed to board. Glad we stayed and didn't leave like almost everyone else. Anyone know why they would say it was a maintenance issue when they were just waiting on a clicker and a clipboard?
Might not be as simple as that. Not sure what Busch's start up policy is exactly but it wouldn't surprise me if handing over that paperwork might not have been the final part of them certifying that all the checks are done and it's good to go. Yhe person waiting on it might not have known if they were just wrapping up or were having an issue. So rather then have you wait and it possibly be a while they suggested you come back. Honestly given a 4 hr window that what I would want them to do if it was me.

Not sure what the situation has been with the “expediter” at Apollo’s Chariot since the beginning of the event, but this afternoon they weren’t forcing people to queue in row order, and were basically just ensuring that people weren‘t crowding in the station.

That's good to hear. I was there on the first Saturday of the event, and the girl working the line rejected our request to sit in the back row. She said "try later when we are less busy," but I don't know what "less busy" means when they were already clearing the entire line with each train.

I got six rides on Apollo during the Friday night session and it was hauling, despite most trains being sent with over half of the rows empty. The ride is running significantly better than it was during the first night of the event and the programming is slowly learning and improving, as many have stated the first trim barely grabs the train and the second one has been rare to engage from my own experience, as well. There is definitely a slight rattle towards the back of the train on wheel seats when it’s nearly empty, which is normal for B&M coasters. I was on the final ride of the night in the second to last row with only four other people on the train and outside of the turn around, the ride was still running incredibly smooth for its age. Apollo is easily in it’s best shape in years from this new programming and it’s extended period of siting dormant, it will likely only continue to get faster as the event continues into the first week of November.

There is definitely a slight rattle towards the back of the train on wheel seats when it’s nearly empty, which is normal for B&M coasters.
Erm... which rows on an OG B&M hyper aren't wheel seats?

Do you mean the distinction between sitting in an "inboard" seat vs. "outboard" seat in any given row, so you're a couple of lateral feet away from the wheel assembly vs. directly atop it?

Perhaps there is enough damping through those couple of feet of steel vehicle structure to attenuate larger vibrations, since each seat is mounted on its own little vertical post instead of being tied together directly to its neighbor. The wheels' attachment to the train is via a wide bearing, which sits under the inboard seats less than the outboard seats... interesting to know that difference can palpably change the ride experience with respect to wheel vibrations...?

Do you mean the distinction between sitting in an "inboard" seat vs. "outboard" seat in any given row, so you're a couple of lateral feet away from the wheel assembly vs. directly atop it?
Yes, it’s less noticeable on hypers, but provides a world of difference on B&M inverts.

I could be wrong, as I’m solely basing this on how the ride feels in the middle two seats compared to the outer seats, and I’m in no way shape or form an engineer or someone who can actually provide evidence to support this claim outside of basing it on the ride experience. It just seems like when you’re more inline with the track on B&M coasters and not directly above or underneath a wheel, the rattle is less apparent.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad