Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
0ef1740c-b2a5-4ceb-be2e-5900a59e89b4_text.gif

Why is there a SeaWorld LLC and a SeaWorld Inc? I have been on this when it does an abrupt stop before the station and while it was uncomfortable, it certainly wasnt concussion inducing. Verbolten is the same way.

So... If the e-stop is triggered and a train stops on the mcbr, wouldn't it just feel slightly more intense than the regular mcbr since it already knocks the speed down fairly significantly?

If it was the end of the ride brakes before the turn to come back into the station, we know that one is a bit more intense but it still spreads the force out so that it won't feel like you're slamming into a brick wall.

So how does one get any head injury on either brake run? And what can you even get a foot injury on?

our inability to visualize how an injury happened is not evidence that it didn't it is just evidence of a lack on imagination.

As for family representing each other. My father represented me any number of times over the years. (mostly in traffic court) I am not a lawyer so I could not say if it is sketchy that a wife represented her husband.

Why are we all so quick to assume this guy is trying to rob Seas?

Well, if he's claiming injuries (I didn't see the obligatory "pain and suffering", less than $75k certainly isn't robbery these days...more like petty theft. ?

It is certainly possible that different forces would be experienced stopping on the mid-course brake run vs the brake run at the station. It could be coming into that at different speeds, etc.

I'm sure Busch Gardens has data on how often a coaster has stopped there and if anyone reported issues in the past. Also, I am quite sure B&M would have tested forces for stops here since it has a stairway leading down and would be designed to have stops happen here sometimes.

I found this study interesting, which seems to suggest that is very unlikely to get a concussion from a roller coaster:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2796436/

"Comparing the calculated HIC15 values of this study and from other contact sports in the literature, figure 3b illustrates that only boxing and football tackles fall within the probability of suffering a concussion."

"Real time 3-D motions of the heads of volunteers were measured during rides on three different roller coasters, strikes with a pillow, and low speed car crash simulations. It was found that the peak head accelerations and velocities from these intense events were all comparable and fell far below the established biomechanical thresholds for TBI."

of course, it is not impossible for someone to have injuries from riding a coaster, even when it performs normally. especially if the person has some pre-existing condition:

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/to...ogic-injury-risk-due-to-roller-coaster-rides/

although in this case, these 2 individuals are not genetically related, so i doubt either one of them would have been injured due to a pre-existing condition

Last edited:
Reactions: BGWnut
So according to that study, though there's a rare chance anyone would suffer a concussion on a roller coaster; the main culprit would be a pre-existing condition that gets exacerbated.

And since the park explicitly states on the ride safety sign (I remember it being in the queue speil for awhile though they may have stopped when they put all those promo ads there) to either not ride or consult a physician before riding, I would think the onus is on the guest to heed the warning.

So either:
  • This guy's concussion actually happened and was not the result of him ignoring a warning and there's a problem with the ride not spreading out the forces on a brake run (highly unlikely as it is designed to do that and gets checked daily as others here have mentioned).
  • He got a concussion by ignoring a warning (which could have happened with a stacked station brake run and not necessarily e-stop as was stated in this case, not so rare when running 3 train operations).
  • He made the concussion up because without a scan of some sort, a hospital won't likely know what the extent if any of a brain related injury.
All of that to say that it's highly unlikely this guy actually had an issue that wasn't either due to ignoring a warning or completely made up. But, there is a chance.

He made the concussion up because without a scan of some sort,

As someone with multiple concussions.....you can't really see it with a scan either. It takes certain neurological assessments where you had a previous baseline. Usual testing involves eye tracking and you give someone 5 unrelated words and ask them 60 seconds later to repeat it in the same order. It took about 5 years for 2 of my concussions to show up on any scan.

Reactions: BenWilkerson
As someone with multiple concussions.....you can't really see it with a scan either. It takes certain neurological assessments where you had a previous baseline. Usual testing involves eye tracking and you give someone 5 unrelated words and ask them 60 seconds later to repeat it in the same order. It took about 5 years for 2 of my concussions to show up on any scan.

I have had a severe concussion where I was med-flighted before (not fun as you can imagine), and they ran me through a scanner. I think MRI but I'm not sure.

That is what I based my statement on, otherwise my basic medical training from a long time ago had said a regular concussion is not good but is not a huge debilitating issue if it's not repeated.

They were likely checking for potential brain damage with that less than the concussion. I've been through that for one of them, not for any other. But if this guy has had 1 concussion, you're likelihood of it happening again increases.

They were likely checking for potential brain damage with that less than the concussion. I've been through that for one of them, not for any other. But if this guy has had 1 concussion, you're likelihood of it happening again increases.

Then wouldn't that constitute a previous condition thus he ignored the safety warning resulting in injury?

... Same warning I've ignored several times and never had an issue with though obviously my body isn't this guy's.

Reactions: BenWilkerson
Then wouldn't that constitute a previous condition thus he ignored the safety warning resulting in injury?

... Same warning I've ignored several times and never had an issue with though obviously my body isn't this guy's.

Eh. Concussions are such a different beast.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad