Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Wild Izzy/Maus always had some good abrupt-braking going on just before returning to the station. It made for terrific viewing from the ground nearby. Wild indeed.

I can't recall any other brake experience in the park that approached that one. Then again I've never come to a complete stop on Apollo's mid-course. Its other brakes have never been anything other than fine, as far as I know and have experienced...

Wild Izzy/Maus always had some good abrupt-braking going on just before returning to the station. It made for terrific viewing from the ground nearby. Wild indeed.

I can't recall any other brake experience in the park that approached that one. Then again I've never come to a complete stop on Apollo's mid-course. Its other brakes have never been anything other than fine, as far as I know and have experienced...
rode it last week, still doing that.

Reactions: jornor and Zachary
Apollo SLAMS to a halt on brakes when all the trains are stacked at the station. I am sure that a stop at the MCBR is very similar to a stacked station.

Reactions: jornor
Industry standard is that every coaster gets a block check every day, if it’s running more than one train.
Is anyone on the coaster when they do that, to see if the stop is smooth? The complaint wasn't that it didn't stop, it's that it did.

Is anyone on the coaster when they do that, to see if the stop is smooth? The complaint wasn't that it didn't stop, it's that it did.

The stop is designed by one of the top roller coaster manufacturers to be a safety mechanism, and it is tested daily to make sure it is operating. I doubt they put anyone in it when they test a safety feature.

Pretty much the moral of the story is this mechanism couldn't of caused the injuries they claim

No one is on the train when these tests occur. But I'm sure someone rode and they stopped it there after the incident to double check it as part of the investigation.

But when trains stop in these places, they are not meant to be smooth. They stop for riders safety. But they wouldn't program/ design something to injure someone.

Virginia law requires guests to report any injuries to the park's first aid before leaving the park. Unless the guy was dragged out on a stretcher I don't think this lawsuit is going to go that swimmingly for him.

Reactions: Mushroom
It sounds like he went directly to a hospital.

It also sounds like he didn't talk to the park or report it to the park. He just left and went to the hospital. Which like b.mac said is the requirement under state law.

I do wonder who this guys lawyer is because it seems like amateur hour. Couldn't even make sure to file against the correct corporate entity?

Reactions: Logang
It also sounds like he didn't talk to the park or report it to the park. He just left and went to the hospital. Which like b.mac said is the requirement under state law.

I do wonder who this guys lawyer is because it seems like amateur hour. Couldn't even make sure to file against the correct corporate entity?
Or an undue burden on the victim?

Cases like this sadly come down to numbers most of the time.

Despite the fact that most of us here can fairly plainly see this case is likely a load of crock; corporate lawyers are not cheap.

Even if the plaintif has 0 chance of winning, SeaWorld's defense of itself is not free.

At this point, it will come down to saving SeaWorld the most amount of money rather than what is "right or wrong". Someone will do some number crunching and figure "if this goes to trial it will cost us x in lawyer fees". SeaWorld will then initiate a settlement offer in which they offer the plaintif something like 'x minus 25%'.

The majority of the money will go to the lawyers and nobody (except the lawyers) will be happy in the end.

Reactions: N2588 and Mushroom
You're probably right, but what if they just sucked it up and squashed this claim so as to not provide precedence for future claims... And if the PR department is up to it, spin the case as proof that the rides are incredibly safe.

Last edited:
Personally I do not see that the plaintiff is full of crap. I do not have anywhere near enough data to make that determination. What I do see is people jumping to a conclusion without any first hand knowledge or data. So I have to ask what is so clear here? SO far the only thing I see is that Seas made a claim and then took it back. (their filing name) I also see that the injured party went to the hospital. That is all I see.

• Dislike
Reactions: Sly4Good and Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad