Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I don’t disagree that if people what EV to be the way of the future they need charging stations. However the people that will use them need to pay for them
through use fees. EVs are already getting around the tax on motor fuels that help
pay for the roads everyone both fossil
fuel vehicles and EVs use. Gas stations are everywhere because it’s a huge money maker, I just don’t think places like BGW or other private businesses should be looked at like it’s their responsibility to provide a place to charge a vehicle and cover that expense without there being a cost recovery plan that includes the users it benefits to pay for.

To add to me previous post, I just stopped for another $100 worth of fuel
in my truck and saw these chargers on Coliseum Drive….there really are way more than I realized. All empty of course.

E0A8E937-49D6-4392-82F5-2D96AC497307.jpeg

Also relevant:

Over 80% of EV owners have the ability to charge at home. So counting the cars charging on a weekday at the local mall in Newport News is a LOL-level complete waste of time for the purposes of this thread.

On the other hand, a great many people visiting BGW do not, somewhat incredibly, actually live at BGW. Nor anywhere near it. So having destination EV chargers right at the park could be a very convenient, attractive, and possibly cost-neutral (possibly even better than cost-neutral) idea.

Anything to complain, though.
If you tell yourself that enough you may start to believe it.

Wait. I’m completely lost.

If he tells himself what, he might start to believe it? Nothing he said is controversial.

Also, who here has said that companies have a responsibility to provide free EV charging?

Over and over is seems as if you are responding a conversation is being had somewhere besides this thread.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have no idea what that comment was supposed to mean either. Oh well. 😄

As for this one:

I just don’t think places like BGW or other private businesses should be looked at like it’s their responsibility to provide a place to charge a vehicle and cover that expense without there being a cost recovery plan that includes the users it benefits to pay for.

^^^ Clearly in the wrong thread with the talk about it being "their responsibility," or otherwise it's a case of reading miscomprehension. That's perhaps a mean thing to say, but I'm not sure what else to conclude there.

The cost recovery plan under discussion can involve everybody benefitting, not just EV drivers. Seems like maybe some people wouldn't be happy unless they saw EV drivers forced to pay for a destination-based energy source that costs nothing, net, to provide. I'll leave speculation about the motivations behind such sentiments to others for the moment. But as an owner of both gas and EV vehicles, I will say it would frustrate me to stand at a gas pump anywhere in the world right now while EV owners travel so inexpensively via electric propulsion.

I do agree about EVs being under-taxed for using the roadways. That's an issue that will need to be addressed eventually, and inevitably people are going to complain about that too.

• Love
Reactions: Luke and Nicole
I do agree about EVs being under-taxed for using the roadways. That's an issue that will need to be addressed eventually, and inevitably people are going to complain about that too.
It's happening here in WV..... I argue about it only because they are adding a tax to my hybrid which is a hybird that doesn't really gain any additional gas mileage (aka "mild hybrid") so I'm essentially being double taxed. For plug-in hybrids I think it makes sense and I'd be happy to pay the extra money on my registration as they require.

I think within 10 years, we'll see a great improvement in range. With increased range, faster charging will be possible. A fill up at a "gas" station for a quick charge or your house will probably be all that is needed

I think within 10 years, we'll see a great improvement in range. With increased range, faster charging will be possible. A fill up at a "gas" station for a quick charge or your house will probably be all that is needed
That what I think is needed, EV “fuel stations” where the energy is taxed and metered for use and the station owner makes a profit for the service he or she provides. The equipment will be a everchanging solution needing constant upgrading not just to hardware but software to optimize new battery technology. Just like new fuel pumps that’s included in the cost of fueling.

Reactions: mikes
That what I think is needed, EV “fuel stations” where the energy is taxed and metered for use and the station owner makes a profit for the service he or she provides. The equipment will be a everchanging solution needing constant upgrading not just to hardware but software to optimize new battery technology. Just like new fuel pumps that’s included in the cost of fueling.

That seems to be a much more logical basis for discussion.

However, I counter with the thought that each business should decide for themselves how they would like to comply with any regulations that come with offering EV charging services, including taxation if it becomes a thing.

If a theme park, as a means to entice guests that don't live nearby, were to offer such services for free and pay the necessary taxes/fees/whatever to the regulatory agencies as required as a cost of doing business, then that's their decision. The solar power idea would potentially help them recoup some of those expenses.

That seems to be a much more logical basis for discussion.

However, I counter with the thought that each business should decide for themselves how they would like to comply with any regulations that come with offering EV charging services, including taxation if it becomes a thing.

If a theme park, as a means to entice guests that don't live nearby, were to offer such services for free and pay the necessary taxes/fees/whatever to the regulatory agencies as required as a cost of doing business, then that's their decision. The solar power idea would potentially help them recoup some of those expenses.
See this is where I have a issue with places like BGW paying a tax for energy used to charge that will pay for roads and such because reguardless how you look at it a non EV driver who already paid fuel tax would have some of their membership cost going to cover tax. I don’t see a 100% off grid solar charging system
being a option for BGW because of cost and operation, what happens at night? A battery array could solve that but again that’s another massive cost. Even for a 100% solar system
there needs to be a tax system, if not and the world pushes forward with all EVs in the future who will be paying to maintain and build roads?

Except most gas stations don’t make their money on fuel.

Reactions: panopticon31
See this is where I have a issue with places like BGW paying a tax for energy used to charge that will pay for roads and such because reguardless how you look at it a non EV driver who already paid fuel tax would have some of their membership cost going to cover tax.
Why would membership cost ever need to subsidize something the park already doesn't have to pay anything extra for?

I don’t see a 100% off grid solar charging system being a option for BGW because of cost and operation, what happens at night?
Who said anything about off grid? That's ridiculous. Why would you assume that?

Shifting the goal posts won't work, sorry.

You know that the park makes infrastructure investments all of the time without raising ticket and pass prices, right? Companies have operating budgets and determine how to spend those funds. There is no reason to assume that installing EV chargers would not be covered by their existing budget, since it is something they would plan for.

You know that the park makes infrastructure investments all of the time without raising ticket and pass prices, right? Companies have operating budgets and determine how to spend those funds. There is no reason to assume that installing EV chargers would not be covered by their existing budget, since it is something they would plan for.
I don’t think I ever said they would raise ticket prices….what I did say is I would rather the park spend my money for things for the park….things all the guests can enjoy.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Luke
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad