Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I thought LR was smooth but forceless, and Wildcat was intense and also pretty smooth. I didn’t think it was rough at all, and I agree that Comet felt the roughest for me. As much as I liked Wildcat, and how it was GCI’s first so it feels wrong for RMC to touch it, RMCs are still amazing rides, and I will definitely prefer it to Wildcat.
The reality that Wildcat isn’t that rough is one of the reasons I would much prefer a ground up RMC (e.g. near Candymonium) vice transforming a ride that just needs minor rehab.

Reactions: CoasterTalkBob
I honestly am starting to wonder if there might be discussions of just building another water park and then using the current area for rides. There's no easy way out of it.

That's insane.... but honestly, it doesn't bug me. Things like cabanas are something that is allowed to be a very much premium thing because not having it doesn't affect your day and those that have don't impose on those that don't. If people are willing to pay that I'm more than happy to let them so that they can use that to keep ticket prices down :)
I honestly think the next big thing for them is going to be to find a way to split the park in half.

I know this sounds like a HUGE “No way they ever do that!” and “That would ruin Hersheypark forever for me!”; but hear me out.

That path along Stormrunner is almost a dead straight line. Make that hill the dividing line. The lower part stays Hersheypark. The upper part becomes Hershey’s Boardwalk. Tidal Force comes out for more water park attractions. Put in a split park gate to park hop without going outside. Put a new gate for HB next to the Claw. Then the theme areas around there become the Scream Pier which would be RMC WC to LR area, and change all the paths to look like wood. The Boardwalk gets renamed to Hershey Shores. Then give the old Pioneer Frontier area a makeover to Hershey Cape and make it like a coastal town looking area.

Then you got the classic Hersheypark. That area around Trailblazer is to be a much smaller Pioneer Frontier, still have Kissing Tower Hill, the Hallow, Founders Circle, and Chocolate town. But they can do their next biggest expansion in park history by expanding out into the old golf course. They still need a classic floorless looper, a family launched coaster, and could do a dive coaster. In this case they may want to do a terrain hugging woodie as something they haven’t had the chance to do.

Add the Family Launched to HB, Floorless and Woodie to HP. Gives a huge coaster count between the two. And makes it possible to 1 day 1 park. That’s what’s stopped me from going back to HP, much like CP. They are too big to be a 1 day park but aren’t really a 2 day park because there’s not enough. But have a HP and HB and you suddenly got a 2 park thing going on. Hell they could even expand Chocolatetown to include all of the current VIP parking.

I thought LR was smooth but forceless, and Wildcat was intense and also pretty smooth. I didn’t think it was rough at all, and I agree that Comet felt the roughest for me. As much as I liked Wildcat, and how it was GCI’s first so it feels wrong for RMC to touch it, RMCs are still amazing rides, and I will definitely prefer it to Wildcat.
Not every coaster has to be a force monster. LR is a joy to ride and the racing really adds to it, especially all the crossovers and fly bys. It's one of my favorite coasters in the park. When I go to HP, riding Lighting Racer a bunch of times is a given. I wouldn't miss it.

I honestly think the next big thing for them is going to be to find a way to split the park in half.

I know this sounds like a HUGE “No way they ever do that!” and “That would ruin Hersheypark forever for me!”; but hear me out.

That path along Stormrunner is almost a dead straight line. Make that hill the dividing line. The lower part stays Hersheypark. The upper part becomes Hershey’s Boardwalk. Tidal Force comes out for more water park attractions. Put in a split park gate to park hop without going outside. Put a new gate for HB next to the Claw. Then the theme areas around there become the Scream Pier which would be RMC WC to LR area, and change all the paths to look like wood. The Boardwalk gets renamed to Hershey Shores. Then give the old Pioneer Frontier area a makeover to Hershey Cape and make it like a coastal town looking area.

Then you got the classic Hersheypark. That area around Trailblazer is to be a much smaller Pioneer Frontier, still have Kissing Tower Hill, the Hallow, Founders Circle, and Chocolate town. But they can do their next biggest expansion in park history by expanding out into the old golf course. They still need a classic floorless looper, a family launched coaster, and could do a dive coaster. In this case they may want to do a terrain hugging woodie as something they haven’t had the chance to do.

Add the Family Launched to HB, Floorless and Woodie to HP. Gives a huge coaster count between the two. And makes it possible to 1 day 1 park. That’s what’s stopped me from going back to HP, much like CP. They are too big to be a 1 day park but aren’t really a 2 day park because there’s not enough. But have a HP and HB and you suddenly got a 2 park thing going on. Hell they could even expand Chocolatetown to include all of the current VIP parking.
I was thinking second park but the second park being the new waterpark. I agree with what you are saying about CP but, at least right now, HP isn't nearly as bad as CP because you don't have the stupid overselling of fast lane. I honestly don't even think that CP is big enough to split into two parks..... These aren't destination/resort parks (yet) like Disney and Universal -- but I don't see any reason why Hershey can't have a separate gated water park (possibly built under the out and back of Candymonium and that extended area).

Reactions: TGOALA
The reality that Wildcat isn’t that rough is one of the reasons I would much prefer a ground up RMC (e.g. near Candymonium) vice transforming a ride that just needs minor rehab.
Okay, so here's the plan everyone. Let's all keep talking past each other and try to force our individual perspectives on Wildcat to be "The Reality" through sheer force of repetition. Saying basically the same thing three times within ten posts didn't make the magic happen, so maybe four will do it?

Or, maybe let's take a moment to recognize the wide variety of valid experiences different people will have on a ride like Wildcat, and stop trying to prescribe what reality is to others.

Okay, so here's the plan everyone. Let's all keep talking past each other and try to force our individual perspectives on Wildcat to be "The Reality" through sheer force of repetition. Saying basically the same thing three times within ten posts didn't make the magic happen, so maybe four will do it?

Or, maybe let's take a moment to recognize the wide variety of valid experiences different people will have on a ride like Wildcat, and stop trying to prescribe what reality is to others.
I agree that Wildcat is not for everyone (my wife doesn't like the vibration for one), but unlike other rough rides at Hershey, there isn't a push to RMC them just for that reason. Personally I find Comet to be much more rough and it gives me a headache riding it, but there isnt this huge push to RMC it just because it jack hammers you all over the place.

The reality is that Wildcat gets a decent line comparable to Lightning Racer so saying its unrideable is false and ignores that a lot of park goers like the ride.

Is an RMC a good investment for Hershey, definitely. Do they need to tear up Wildcat to do it, no.

Wildcat is the worst wooden coaster I have ever ridden. An empty plot of land would be an improvement. Whatever comes next is welcome. Also, it never had a line, at least this season. Even on Saturdays. Saying it was “always crowded” is revisionist history. Maybe in its first season it was popular…

I agree that Wildcat is not for everyone (my wife doesn't like the vibration for one), but unlike other rough rides at Hershey, there isn't a push to RMC them just for that reason. Personally I find Comet to be much more rough and it gives me a headache riding it, but there isnt this huge push to RMC it just because it jack hammers you all over the place.
Or maybe your respective experiences and opinions on these rides are simply more unusual than you appreciate. 🤷‍♂️

The reality is that Wildcat gets a decent line comparable to Lightning Racer so saying its unrideable is false and ignores that a lot of park goers like the ride.
I don’t know who said Wildcat is unrideable — I know I didn’t — but regarding line length, hourly capacity is a huge factor when it comes to how long a line gets/looks, not just comparative popularity. A decent, maybe not especially amazing, number of people do queue up for Wildcat, with its 1/2 as many tracks and either 1/2 or 1/4 as many operating trains as Lightning Racer.

How many of those people enjoy it though? Is it possible that Hersheypark knows something about the collective customer sentiment on Wildcat that you don’t know?

I even liked Wildcat in 2018 when the first 3 valleys had to be endured before there was much anything enjoyable. But in 2020 it was running really good. If it's anywhere near as bad as some are saying a mere 23 months later, that's a real problem.

As to Lightning Racer, during my first visit in 2011 it still seemed brand new. So beautiful and the big surprise of the trip. Meanwhile Wildcat was already brutal. LR is still popular, considering location, and would get a boost from having something sort of the same and yet completely different and intense a short way down from it.

The extreme conversions are great by me, but I'd still like to see RMC or GCI do a steel wheels, steel retrack where the only reprofiling is to increase speed and make every element deliver.

An empty plot of land would be an improvement.
People that say this should absolutely be banned from enthusiast discussions. Ok, maybe that's a bit of an over-statement but that sentence is one of the most self-centered and anti-industry statements one could possibly make.

Please explain to me how a coaster hurts you if you don't ride it.

Am I in the minority here that is excited for the RMC conversion?

I love wooden coasters: 2008 Mean Streak caused a trip to the chiropracter and 2019 Boulder Dash gave me a pinched nerve in my back so bad that I couldn't bend over - Wildcat delivered the worst and more jolting experience of the 3.

I'm PUMPED about the RMC conversion and excited to see what sort of ride they will deliver.
That's not at all related to the point I was trying to make.

But, seriously.... if you have had that much physical issue riding coasters maybe you should consider if it's safe to be riding at all? I'm not saying that to be a jerk but genuinely think you should talk to a doctor about it.

That's not at all related to the point I was trying to make.

But, seriously.... if you have had that much physical issue riding coasters maybe you should consider if it's safe to be riding at all? I'm not saying that to be a jerk but genuinely think you should talk to a doctor about it.
Haven’t really had an issue outside of those 3 woodies.

Mean Streak wasnt even that bad, just needed a realignment which I’m sure walking around Cedar Point for 3 days didn’t help.

Boulder Dash was wicked fun and didnt present an issue until days later (I’m guessing it was BD because the only others I rose that day were Wooden Warrior and LC’s boomerang). I rode BD again in 2020 towards the front (instead of in the back like in 2019) and it wasn’t a problem at all.

Wildcat didn't present anything physical on the days following but I definitely didnt feel right after riding it. I wouldn’t ride it again if asked.

Last edited:
People that say this should absolutely be banned from enthusiast discussions. Ok, maybe that's a bit of an over-statement but that sentence is one of the most self-centered and anti-industry statements one could possibly make.

Please explain to me how a coaster hurts you if you don't ride it.
I have ridden it and it did hurt me. Wildcat is a very unpleasant experience. Hersheypark should strive not to give guests unpleasant experiences. But okay. I guess I am just anti-industry. 🤷‍♂️

I have ridden it and it did hurt me. Wildcat is a very unpleasant experience. Hersheypark should strive not to give guests unpleasant experiences. But okay. I guess I am just anti-industry. 🤷‍♂️
Ok, you rode it..... you don't like it...... don't ride it again. How is it an improvement for you if the coaster is torn down and turned into an empty field? I just don't understand the logic..... Why do you have to campaign for something to be destroyed just because you don't like it?

You aren't the only person that enjoys this industry..... there are rides that aren't going to be for you. We all live in this world and we all have our own tastes and preferences. If you don't like a ride, don't ride it -- it's really that simple.

I empathize with people who liked and will miss Wildcat. I've cared a lot about attractions many people weren't really into.

That said, speaking entirely selfishly, I'm thrilled that Wildcat is being converted. I always found it to be incredibly uncomfortable and even just looking at the layout I don't see anything I would find desirable about it even if the pain it inflicted didn't sour my day. Especially in a park with two other (in my opinion, dramatically better) GCI layouts, I'm not gonna miss the thing for a second and I'm very excited to see what becomes of the structure.

I will say this though: In my perfect world—even though I suspect RMC would do a better job—I would prefer that GCI get the job instead of RMC. I know, ethically, the park doesn't owe GCI anything beyond what their contracts stipulate, but I do think that it would just feel "more right" to me if GCI was given the opportunity to "redeem" their first coaster with their new, innovative, prototype track system.

Either way though, while I feel bad for all the people who are losing a coaster they care about—especially for all the kids losing potentially their first coaster—I'm very squarely in the "party" camp here.

Either way though, while I feel bad for all the people who are losing a coaster they care about—especially for all the kids losing potentially their first coaster—I'm very squarely in the "party" camp here.
I'll really miss it not because it was a first credit or anything, but more just the historical relevance. GCI is now a major manufacturer, but they were a startup when this one went up. It used PTC trains, was a first, and it pushed Hershey really all the way out to the road. If it really is RMC doing the work I'll be highly disappointed in the outcome despite enjoying RMC's. Sadly, many of the people I knew within Hershey are gone, and they were some of the ones really pushing to hold out on RMC to give GCI a chance to rework WildCat into something new. I think that's what saddens me most about this outcome.

I empathize with people who liked and will miss Wildcat. I've cared a lot about attractions many people weren't really into.

That said, speaking entirely selfishly, I'm thrilled that Wildcat is being converted. I always found it to be incredibly uncomfortable and even just looking at the layout I don't see anything I would find desirable about it even if the pain it inflicted didn't sour my day. Especially in a park with two other (in my opinion, dramatically better) GCI layouts, I'm not gonna miss the thing for a second and I'm very excited to see what becomes of the structure.

I will say this though: In my perfect world—even though I suspect RMC would do a better job—I would prefer that GCI get the job instead of RMC. I know, ethically, the park doesn't owe GCI anything beyond what their contracts stipulate, but I do think that it would just feel "more right" to me if GCI was given the opportunity to "redeem" their first coaster with their new, innovative, prototype track system.

I liked wildcat when i got my one singular ride on it 6 years ago, but now idk how to look at it, unbearably rough or a woodie my non enthusiast 10 year old mind loved

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad