Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

Manufacturer
ZIERER

Model
Elevated Seating Coaster w/ Vertical Drop Element

Hamlet
Oktoberfest (Germany)

Official Opening
May 18, 2012

Soft Opening
May 11, 2012

Tallest Drop
88ft

Top Speed
53mph

Inversion Count

Launch Segments

Riders Per Train

Number of Trains

Height Requirement
48in

Verbolten is an indoor/outdoor ZIERER Elevated Seating Coaster that features a Vertical Drop Element. It officially opened in mid-May 2012 on the site formally occupied by the Arrow Suspended Coaster, Big Bad Wolf.

Videos​

Development Documentary​

Ride Recordings​

On-Ride Videos​

Backstage Footage​

Last edited by a moderator:
RCDB doesn't have Verbolten labeled as an Elevated Seating Coaster. Compared to the other ESCs, Verbolten seems to be the only one with a launch (and drop track of course), and it's the tallest and fastest. In fact, it seems the ESC is meant to be a step up from the Tivoli / Force models (of which Grover's Alpine Express is the latter), not a full intensity experience.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Don't read too much into RCDB's model listing. Polar X-plorer, Verbolten's long-lost sister coaster, is another Zierer ESC that RCDB doesn't classify as such for some reason.

Reactions: Mwe BGW and belsaas
Going back to the Skyrush Method video being shown earlier in the thread (which just got age-restricted on YouTube), I think we might have our culprit bragging about it: Verbolten • Busch Gardens Williamsburg • Captain Coaster

Cdub on Captain Coaster said:
2 days ago [last year], I learned about something crazy you can do on this coaster. This being one click rides. For context, when pulling down your lap bar, a red light behind you will turn off when the restraint has adequately been pulled down. It might have just been the ops that day, but they freely allowed us to ride as long as the light was off- meaning we were able to ride the coaster with literally a single click on the lap bar. As a result, there is enough leeway to near fully stand up on the coaster (which is what we did). This is especially thrilling during the launches, drop track, and drop off the bridge. After my rides on the 6th, Verbolten is easily the best (and only) stand up coaster in Virginia, and I definitely recommend trying this out.

I wasn't sure if this belonged here, or in the safety thread.

It's still my favorite, because of the theme included with it. I still think the park could enhance the "Black Forest" building a bit more, but I'd be beating a dead horse at this point. We've probably all seen videos of DarKoaster to be able to analyze it's indoor elements. Personally, I feel that DarKoaster should have been geared towards thrill seekers. The theme itself has a lot of energy to it and can deliver so much more if the park is willing to put in the work. Same goes for Verbolten.

It's still my favorite, because of the theme included with it. I still think the park could enhance the "Black Forest" building a bit more, but I'd be beating a dead horse at this point. We've probably all seen videos of DarKoaster to be able to analyze it's indoor elements. Personally, I feel that DarKoaster should have been geared towards thrill seekers. The theme itself has a lot of energy to it and can deliver so much more if the park is willing to put in the work. Same goes for Verbolten.
Rode DarKoaster yesterday and I would love to see the storyline’s for the two rides intertwine.

For Verbolten, add a blizzard element to the storm theme. Could do a snow effect and have a screen that makes it appear that the castle is off in the distance. Right before the car drops, have it mysteriously shut down like it’s been possessed or something.

For DarKoaster, have vines creeping up the side of the building and maybe even have a spirit of the forest interaction every couple of rides?

Rode DarKoaster yesterday and I would love to see the storyline’s for the two rides intertwine.

For Verbolten, add a blizzard element to the storm theme. Could do a snow effect and have a screen that makes it appear that the castle is off in the distance. Right before the car drops, have it mysteriously shut down like it’s been possessed or something.

For DarKoaster, have vines creeping up the side of the building and maybe even have a spirit of the forest interaction every couple of rides?
I get what you're saying, but if we're basing DarKastle/DarKoaster off of the real King Ludwig II, his castle Neuschwanstein (pinned) is over 100 miles away from the Black Forest (circled), and at the time of Ludwig were in different states. I wouldn't want BGW to create a story to tie them together because lord knows they would butcher the heck out of it...

1686158652041.png

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but if we're basing DarKastle/DarKoaster off of the real King Ludwig II, his castle Neuschwanstein (pinned) is over 100 miles away from the Black Forest (circled). I wouldn't want BGW to create a story to tie them together because lord knows they would butcher the heck out of it...

View attachment 29084

I don't think it would be all that bad. It's a theme park universe lore. They can make it what they want. DC Comics did the same thing for the Zac Snyder universe. Gotham and Metropolis were right across the river from each other. That explained how the events in Man of Steel affected Gotham City's damage that was done to the city. For Bush Gardens, it would be rather cool to see them use the lore of the Black Forest for both rides.

Verbolten on the other hand needs a theme improvement. The effects don't run as crisp as they use to. Most of the times, the system is going to queue the storm theme, which seems to be the theme I get no mater what color train I get on. This occurred last season and a few employees that rode with us noticed it. It was rather odd to see BGW attribute a storm theme to DarKoaster given that Verbolten already used a storm theme in the Black Forest. I mentioned last season that Verbolten should improve the theme by attributing all three themes to the ride, rather than random. The evil spirt should become the overshadow element of the Black Forest. The storm is just something that happens as a result of the evil spirit being in the area. The werewolf needs a physical animatronic that triggers when the train is on the drop platform.

As for seeing King Ludwig's Castle in the distance on the drop platform screen, that would be cool. Though it is 100 miles away in real life; you could just pretend that the Black Forest has it's mysteries. We could have been driving in the Black Forest for a while, or the evil spirit could have transported us closer to the castle, creating an illusion of false hope of escaping the dangers in the forest.

I don't think it would be all that bad. It's a theme park universe lore. They can make it what they want. DC Comics did the same thing for the Zac Snyder universe. Gotham and Metropolis were right across the river from each other. That explained how the events in Man of Steel affected Gotham City's damage that was done to the city. For Bush Gardens, it would be rather cool to see them use the lore of the Black Forest for both rides.

Verbolten on the other hand needs a theme improvement. The effects don't run as crisp as they use to. Most of the times, the system is going to queue the storm theme, which seems to be the theme I get no mater what color train I get on. This occurred last season and a few employees that rode with us noticed it. It was rather odd to see BGW attribute a storm theme to DarKoaster given that Verbolten already used a storm theme in the Black Forest. I mentioned last season that Verbolten should improve the theme by attributing all three themes to the ride, rather than random. The evil spirt should become the overshadow element of the Black Forest. The storm is just something that happens as a result of the evil spirit being in the area. The werewolf needs a physical animatronic that triggers when the train is on the drop platform.

As for seeing King Ludwig's Castle in the distance on the drop platform screen, that would be cool. Though it is 100 miles away in real life; you could just pretend that the Black Forest has it's mysteries. We could have been driving in the Black Forest for a while, or the evil spirit could have transported us closer to the castle, creating an illusion of false hope of escaping the dangers in the forest.
It’s funny that you mention always getting the storm theme because the last couple visits I’ve gotten the spirit theme (haven’t paid attention to my car though so that could be part of it).

I think it would be neat if the drop platform for the wolf effect shows a werewolf lunging at you as you drop similar to how the finale for DK has you driving into GhostWig’s mouth (?)

I also saw the castle effect as being more of a “flash of lightning illuminates it in the distance during the ride” moreso than a drop platform thing, but that could work too. I definitely like the transporting thing too, adds to the spookiness of it and reminds me of Blair Witch Project. It seems far off in the distance for a good portion of the ride, but then you get to the drop track and it’s right there.

Verbolten has its own incredibly intricate lore. I don't know why I'd want to see DarKoaster's half-assed, braindead "story" inflicted on or even referenced by Verbolten. Verbolten just needs its original slate of theming and storytelling restored and we'd be golden.

I did notice that the spirit effect has been changed a bit—prior to the drop sequence (as you enter that brakes leading into it) it’s fades in/out green. Once you’re about to/stopped, it starts fading in and out again in a yellow/orange color, and right as you drop flashes red.
Additionally, lights have been placed at the base of the helix and the moon is nice and bright now.
As for the story thing, my understanding is it runs on an ABC pattern, so it depends entirely on the number of trains. If they’re running 3 trains, each train will have its own showscene that day. Four or five trains will see the showscenes rotate.

This may have been discussed before, but what’s with those ugly white projection screens before the drop track? The whole ride has beautiful, intricate theming, and then there’s these random white screens hanging down. Is there a reason for them, or just SEAS not willing to invest in actually decent theming?

I was there on Wednesday 8/16 and the ride was closed. The bridge from Italy to Germany seemed to be missing a roof (?? Been a year since I was last there, might be misremembering - but I digest…) and under construction as well. From the bridge I happened to notice a ladder propped against the coaster track but nobody was on the ladder.

I was there on Wednesday 8/16 and the ride was closed. The bridge from Italy to Germany seemed to be missing a roof (?? Been a year since I was last there, might be misremembering - but I digest…) and under construction as well. From the bridge I happened to notice a ladder propped against the coaster track but nobody was on the ladder.
Verbolten is undergoing maintenance for a couple weeks and the bridge to Germany from Italy is also undergoing maintenance. The bridge is pretty close to being done, I'm pretty sure.

Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad