Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
We should just shut the schools down entirely and send our kids off to work earlier. Those energetic bodies are wasted sitting in classrooms, "learning," history, English, math, and art. You can't use those liberal BS stuff in the real world. Besides think of how much money they could bring back to their homes!

I did get a good chuckle out of the local news post on Facebook about the "Kings Dominion" law, using a pic of ... not KD.

LYqJ8uv.png

The City of VA Beach is on record supporting is, as it is equally important for tourist season. Someone has to separate those good folks from land locked states from their money via the gift of city branded beer bongs, seashells, and saltwater taffee.

Pair of ‘Kings Dominion Law’ repeals pass Va. House

By Max Smith | @amaxsmith
January 30, 2018 1:29 pm

WASHINGTON — Virginia’s House of Delegates approved competing plans Tuesday to repeal the requirement that schools start after Labor Day.

The House voted 76-22 for a bill that would allow local school systems to start classes at any time, as long as students get at least a five-day weekend for Labor Day.
The House also voted 75-24 for a bill that would remove the legal restrictions entirely, and leave the decision up to local school boards.

The law that bars Virginia schools from opening before Labor Day without a waiver, known as the “Kings Dominion law,” has been supported by the tourism and hospitality industry as a way to boost business and keep high-school age employees for a few more weeks at the end of summer.

Having two bills approved by the House could improve the odds of the repeal moving forward in the Senate before the session ends March 10.

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/01/pair-kings-dominion-law-repeals-pass-va-house/

Personally, I moved to VA from a state without such laws in place. I am a little confused as to what the big deal with it is. Parks where I used to live, it was common to see schools start before Labor Day. But that state had hours limitations even when school wasn't in session, so they had to hire extra high school age employees anyways. It wasn't uncommon to see hours for the park shortened, less popular stands closed, and less popular rides rotate what was open.

Reactions: jornor and Nicole
Everyone I knew in public school started before Labor Day. I’m not sure I understand the passion around this debate either.

Reactions: jornor
When I lived on the west coast, schools always let out before Memorial Day and started up in mid-August. I feel like schools in VA should follow the same course of action. Standardized tests always take place in May anyway and there's a month afterwards where they don't really need to cover anything so most of the time they end up teaching stuff for the following school year anyway.

The parks are typically really slow toward the end of August anyway and they usually suffer from short staffing since college students are already in school at the time. Just have the parks open up in May when schools are let out and then when schools go back in session, go to weekend operations.

Reactions: jornor and Mushroom
now is has been a very long time since I was in high school, SOLs did not exist then, and of course I went to Norfolk Collegiate so it would have been OBE anyway, but isn't there more to school than standardized tests?

Zimmy said:
now is has been a very long time since I was in high school, SOLs did not exist then, and of course I went to Norfolk Collegiate so it would have been OBE anyway, but isn't there more to school than standardized tests?

Back when I was in...yes. These days...doubt it. Anyways, it's nice to have the parks open with longer hours later, but is it really worth it? Schools could start a week sooner, build in snow days, let out earlier potentially, and the parks could make it up on the front end of the season.

Schools are a lot more focused on standardized tests/AP exams now than they used to be. I was in school not long ago and there was a serious push to get high marks on those exams (if I recall, schools that perform better get more funding from the state). I'm personally not a huge fan of standardized tests but it seems to be the norm now.

Reactions: jornor and Mushroom
The ‘Kings Dominion Law’: breaking down why schools start after Labor Day
POSTED 6:11 PM, AUGUST 29, 2018, BY JAKE BURNS, UPDATED AT 06:32PM, AUGUST 29, 2018

HENRICO, Va - Public school children in Central Virginia head back to next Tuesday, but a majority of their counterparts elsewhere in the state are already in class. Despite efforts to change what's known as the "King's Dominion Law," the majority of students in the Richmond and Hampton Roads regions will start school after Labor Day.

State law, passed in the late 1980's, requires school districts to begin classes after Labor Day unless the district applies for a waiver. However, according to the Virginia Department of Education, a majority of Virginia school districts have obtained a waiver or are surrounded by jurisdictions that have them. More than 65% of Virginia students begin class before Labor Day last school year, the VDOE said.

The majority of public school districts that start classes post Labor day are in Richmond and Hampton Roads, according to data from the 2017-18 school year.

capture.jpg

The original purpose of the law was to help Virginia’s tourism industry.

If school starts after Labor Day, amusement parks like Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens, would theoretically have more days to attract more park guests and a larger pool of high school aged employees available to work.

For the second year in a row, the law's namesake, Kings Dominion, is closed for three days in the week leading up to Labor Day. A spokeswoman for Kings Dominion said the park will be open for the "last summer blast" from Friday, August 31st through Monday September 3rd (Labor Day). The weekend will include featured games, food, and deals for families to enjoy, she said.
During the 2018 General Assembly session, the House of Delegates passed a bill that would have allowed local school districts to set their own start date, effectively eliminating the "Kings Dominion law;" however, a Senate committee voted to push off consideration of the bill until the 2019 session.

New Henrico County Schools Superintendent Amy Cashwell said she is "open" to having a conversation with her parents and teachers about applying for a waiver if state law does not change. Although there is nothing currently in the works, Cashwell said local school districts should have a say on when they begin school.

"Having limitations around when schools can start can pose a lot of challenges to school divisions," Cashwell said. "That really can hinder the way schools are creating their calendars to best meet student needs, and that can be very challenging to do at times when you're not starting until after Labor Day."

At Twin Hickory Park in Henrico, Blair Mudd watches her three grandchildren splash through tall water spouts and run up jungle gyms. Mudd loves watching her grandchildren soak in the finally hours of summer fun, but also would not mind seeing a shift in the local school calendar.

"I actually wouldn't mind seeing all year school," Mudd said. "I'm not sure that'll ever happen in Virginia, but who knows!"

Source: https://wtvr.com/2018/08/29/kings-dominion-law/

Year round school would absolutely kill KD, BGW, and the Virginia tourism market. The reason Kings Dominion now closes for the last week in August in the first place is because enough school systems have gotten waivers from the state to start before Labor Day. They literally don't have enough employees to operate the park. Without the faltering Labor Day restriction in place, the season would just grow shorter and shorter.

Reactions: mtorange
Forget the parks, year-round classes would absolutely kill the students. School is to educate children, not to act as day care.

While I agree with how year-round schooling in Virginia would kill the tourism market like @Joe said, I will say that year-round schooling has been proven to help students in lower-income areas that are more prone to the effects of not being able to retain important information after a typical 12ish week long summer break. The year-round calendar is divided up into four 9-week sessions with each session being followed by a 3 week break (summer break might be a month long but I’m not sure). I’m pretty sure that year-round students would still be in school for as long as any other school (I think Virginia law is 180 days or a certain number of instructional hours), but the year-round calendar is just split up more.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad