Site Updates & Changes

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Apr 1, 2010
NC
I'm sure it's a pipe dream. Too many variables and file types don’t help. But I also get erroneous results using the search feature of the forum. Quite a few results don’t have the verbiage I search for anywhere in their resulting posts.

Edit: i.e. I know we've discussed Dark Towers somewhere. But a search for that gives me three results.
DarKastle, Imaginique and Hastings.

Dark Tower query.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe and Nicole

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
That is deeply bizarre. You're using the search bar up top, yeah? Could you try using the Advanced Search page? When I search from my account, my default privileged testing account, or as a guest not logged in at all I get 9 pages of results for Dark Tower. I get three pages of much more useful results if I put quotation marks around it too. First handful of results while using quotes searching across the entire forum:

Could you try searching again and linking me to the results?

URL should look something like this: https://parkfans.net/index.php?search/2515/&q="Dark+Tower"&o=date

Apr 1, 2010
NC
Yes Sir, the search at top. Thank you for the advice. I had tried quotes, but your search looks better.

But I was searching with defunct and BGW parameters. Defunct is the culprit here, but where are the DARK or TOWER hits?
https://parkfans.net/index.php?search/2518/&q=Dark+Tower&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=1&c[prefixes][0]=13&o=date&g=1

Using "Search Everything" with quotes seems to yield the most relevant results. But quotes don't seem to be constraining the search since Mach Tower is a hit?
https://parkfans.net/index.php?search/2518/&q=Dark+Tower&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=1&c[prefixes][0]=13&o=date&g=1

Using "Search Threads" with quotes seems very random. Just curious results. I could see hits of DARK and TOWER as separate words. I see DARKer bolded in one. The quotes don't seem to be constraining the search worse by this method and hits aren't relevant?
https://parkfans.net/index.php?search/2520/&q="Dark+Tower"&t=post&o=date&g=1

No biggie. Just wondering. I was trying to not bother you and did anyway!

lce

in the end i just want you to be happy
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
This is actually helping me better understand how the search mechanism works, since I have never been able to find something I am looking for simply by searching something and expecting the results to automatically filter by relevancy.

Like I just searched "Pompeii" and a bunch of messages sent in the same thread came up. And if you change it to titles only then it'll show all the different threads in existence but I can't figure out if they are even sorted by anything. Should there be some functionality introduced that utilizes some relevancy? So if one WAS to search "Pompeii" the first thing to come up would be the Existing Attraction thread, with like the most currently active threads displaying underneath the initial main thread?

I know this isn't on the same lines of what @BGW Family is looking for to help them with their searching, but I had noticed how the search tool is only really useful to those who take the time to sit and understand how it works, when most all people (like visitors to the site) will just type what they want to find (Google-esq) into the search bar, and if your goal is to find a large discussion on say Loch Ness Monster, the main discussion thread doesn't show up until fourth or fifth down the page, where for people who don't understand the forum's inner operations it would be useful to throw the main thread right in their face so they don't waste time clicking on the options that come up first, like Quick Q&A and the Teens Smoking Pot Pens.

Just a thought, it is probably harder to implement than I imagine which is why most sites do not implement tailored search results.

Sky

Jul 7, 2010
Florida
This may have been answered all ready, but is ParkFans.net the only way to access this site? I spent ages trying to find a link on the BGWFans site and just about gave up until I checked the twitter. Sorry - I know I've ghosted the last year.

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
@Sky: There should be a link from all partnered websites (like BGWFans) back to ParkFans.net. That said, BGWFans and KDFans are very broken right now. Time has been limited lately (especially with us devoting as much as we have to the ParkFans side of the operation), but brighter days for the blogs are ahead.

So, in short, to answer your question, a link to ParkFans should be there and it will return—currently BGWFans and KDFans are the web development equivalent to a town that has been flattened by a horrible tornado though—a full recovery is going to take some work.

Gavin

Who, me?
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
This is actually helping me better understand how the search mechanism works, since I have never been able to find something I am looking for simply by searching something and expecting the results to automatically filter by relevancy.

Like I just searched "Pompeii" and a bunch of messages sent in the same thread came up. And if you change it to titles only then it'll show all the different threads in existence but I can't figure out if they are even sorted by anything. Should there be some functionality introduced that utilizes some relevancy? So if one WAS to search "Pompeii" the first thing to come up would be the Existing Attraction thread, with like the most currently active threads displaying underneath the initial main thread?

I know this isn't on the same lines of what @BGW Family is looking for to help them with their searching, but I had noticed how the search tool is only really useful to those who take the time to sit and understand how it works, when most all people (like visitors to the site) will just type what they want to find (Google-esq) into the search bar, and if your goal is to find a large discussion on say Loch Ness Monster, the main discussion thread doesn't show up until fourth or fifth down the page, where for people who don't understand the forum's inner operations it would be useful to throw the main thread right in their face so they don't waste time clicking on the options that come up first, like Quick Q&A and the Teens Smoking Pot Pens.

Just a thought, it is probably harder to implement than I imagine which is why most sites do not implement tailored search results.
Sorry, I meant to reply to this earlier.

The search function is just a basic word search. It's literally no different than me directly accessing the site's database and searching for things. The amount of time it would take for me and @Zachary to build something better, or improve what is currently built in, would not be worth it.

There is a paid upgrade ($50 one time, plus $10 per year) to the search engine for Xenforo, but that would require additional investment as well as additional resources to run it. I'm also not certain to the quality of the results that it would provide, so I'm not 100% sure that it would be what is being looked for.

Of course there is also the option to use Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, or whatever search engine you prefer. Most search engines due provide a way to search a single site for a result (usually by adding "site:<url>") vs the entire web. This option would provide Google-esque results, but would rely on Google's (or whatever search engine's) own index of the site and could potentially have missed some things. Also, as of right now, there are broken links on Google for the site that have not yet been resolved, but I do hope to get that resolved soon.

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
BGWFans and KDFans are very broken right now.
—currently BGWFans and KDFans are the web development equivalent to a town that has been flattened by a horrible tornado though—a full recovery is going to take some work.
What's wrong with them? They look the same as they did before the transition to the new server to me... I don't see anything that isn't working over there...

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
When I open a forum category I feel personally called out when I see a tiny version of my avatar on all of the individual forum icons. What are you trying to tell me, ParkFans and Co™ ? ...What? Say it to my face.

Gavin

Who, me?
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
When I open a forum category I feel personally called out when I see a tiny version of my avatar on all of the individual forum icons. What are you trying to tell me, ParkFans and Co™ ? ...What? Say it to my face.
*snaps fingers* It’s not our fault you forgot what threads you replied to.

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
Look, look, look. We can sit here and squabble about "notifications" and how the system "tags you so you know which forums to which you contributed" but ultimately this is about YOUR forum using MY avatar that I STOLE from neopets and turned into a literal gay icon. And how I had no idea I had been talking so much, omg why didn't anyone stop me?

No I tease, I love the system. I'm just drinking because there's a category 5 hurricane with its literal eye on my city.

Last edited:
Login or Register to Hide This Ad