Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
That is so true. It is my sincerest hope that the next person will be level-headed enough to proceed, whilst fixing issues that need to be fixed. In some ways, I can already see big differences in styles, which I prefer over the previous standards.

Sadly, the only person already at the park whom I believe to be qualified might not have the necessary leadership skills. That being said, it's hard to tell. That person probably did not want to get on Scott's, or anyone else's "bad side". So, they probably just went along with anything for the sake of keeping their job. I hope someone/something good for the park is "unearthed" (and not just for Howl-O-Scream).

Reactions: flamanar
I hope that this person brings to us what "The Old Country" used to do, some shows that are culturally world class and the Broadway style lavishness with class and taste that it was once renowned for. Remember "Kaleidoscope"? My friend's mom said that it was the best show she has ever seen in Busch Gardens that hasn't been equaled since then.

f80.gif

It's just a figure of speech. But seriously, whoever this person is who will replace him, I hope that he or she will treat the performers better from the horror stories I hear about him.

Long time lurker, had to chime in here. Personally, I am glad that Scott is gone. I'm not going to say what capacity/show I worked with him under, but I will never, ever forget the way he treated an employee while we were working on this show one night. He was looking at the lighting for the show (it was outdoors and pre-show, I think. The issue that had arisen was about some of the clip lights being seen from the audience to help the performers get on and off stage successfully) and, when he didn't like it, called them over and quite literally screamed in their face, "DO YOU NOT KNOW LIGHTING 101????" I knew I was in trouble then.

I was brought in from out of state to work in entertainment. I was laid off about halfway through my contract. Scott had me written up one night for 'incorrectly filing paperwork' (no one had given me instructions on how to do the paperwork. When I asked my supervisor she said, "Oh. Just guess"). The next day I was fired with a second write-up for the same infraction (not even a different thing).

I asked someone in senior leadership that I was particularly close to a year or two later and they sheepishly admitted that I had been brought in only for the time in which I worked - they knew they were going to fire me before the contract was up. It was just easier/cheaper to offer me the contract for longer, (which I didn't sign by the way - no one ever signs their own contract in Entertainment. They just sign a piece of paper saying they've READ their contract), in case they ended up needing me for the whole contract. I had been stuck with a lease through the rest of the year (which was a considerable amount of time) and was literally STUCK in Williamsburg with no income, no other entertainment jobs for me to do. I had to put my career on hold and start waitressing just so I could pay the lease I was stuck with. I had actually skipped my college graduation to be at BGW too because they wouldn't let me start even one day later. What a waste. If you're not going to keep me, at least warn me. I would have rented by the month instead.

BGW Family said:
Disclaimer: Personal opinion, only. Not meant as a personal attack. Those with sensitive stomachs, look away.

This is going to be long, quick and probably grammar hell....

I won't sugar coat this at all. He destroyed one the most iconic areas of the park by way of ripping out the Festhaus stage out and then sat about trashing TIO. All because he had a bad experience with that show back in his early days. Still holding this grudge and acting on it as an adult who is suppose to be a top leader? I've seen 5 year olds act more mature. Next would have been Banbury if he had his way. Good riddance.

He was childish and unprofessional in his treatment and vindictive nature toward anyone that didn't bow down to his ego, or crossed him, or whom had a successful show that he didn't create. He terrorized cast and crew across the park. Blacklisting locals and switching to Cline to supply more expensive NY cast that did not gain us a better level of entertainment that the locals. He rode around in garland glitter decorated luxury carts that cost $10,000 each.

Kilarny Kommotion and Wunderbarn were NOT excellent examples of art that were too sophisticated for a simple theme park. They were garbage. Period.

F&W wasn't his idea. It was Disney's. He stole it like he possibly did REDACTED and REDACTED. He even stole internally with Monster Stomp (BTW, the hugely successful Revamped originally created by cast members) which I believe he was pressured into. Like he was made to bring TIO back. BUT, with his petty sign game. Kudos to the last TIO cast though. You should see their cast shirts.

Celtic Fyre? Thank goodness he has been blocked by it's popularity or he would have already trashed it for a show of leprechauns farting confetti. He wanted the names of every performer that broke script on the finale that year we thought he had killed it.

He did a fire-sale of live musicians and gutted all those great shows FULL of LIVE music; TIO, Boogie Band, Starlight Orchestra, etc, etc. Recently he turned the evil-eye toward MIU because they were getting better reviews than LR. The cast eventually quit under his callous retribution. He also read the riot act to the LR cast and blamed THEM for the bad reviews when they only did the best they could with what HE gave them. That is quality leadership right there.

He drove off so much great talent that has been with the park for years. Hell, just watch the choreography changes last year, like Night Beats. His new "professional" gutted the work a former cast member had beautifully choreographed.

The climate and moral he fostered was horrid. His actions read as immature over-compensation to deal with his insecurity and being touted as a failure. Ask any talent that has been around long enough what they recall of DeHart and what they recall of SG. I'm sure answer will be luvs and hugs for one and evil-eye for the latter.

Just like me. NO love lost here.

Those that know me may be shocked by the harshness of this posted opinion. I'm sorry, SG is the poster child for what has been going wrong with BGW. There are still minions and rats in the ranks that could be a continuation of his regime, or even worse. PLEASE flush out all the old and start anew with someone professional and qualified to do the job right.

I will never, ever, ever forgive BGW for that - specifically Scott. I know a lot of other people carried out his orders, but many, many were scared of him, scared of getting fired. The second day on the job, all people could tell me about were the people that got fired in just the last few months and how easy it was to get fired. They were speaking out of fear and disgust.

Everything that is quoted above is correct. People quit left and right, people were fired left and right. It is immoral, corrupt and just plain old wrong the way people were treated under his reign. There should never be fear in a department; never be people fired just to save money. Here's to hoping that, regardless of changes in shows (which I'm sure will happen, and I hope will happen for the better), the department becomes a happy, safe place again for people to make art.

As a person who used to be very active in the theater arts and as a manager, let me say I am horrified that you were treated this way.  I am not surprised, but I am horrified.  One of the reasons I left the theater were the personalities.  Not entirely sure what it is with directors and designers, but many of them could not manage people to be motivated to leave a burning house.

I will also say that I left the theater not because I did not know technically how to design, but I seemed to lack the artists touch.  I was technically perfect and could quote you chapter and verse on the various design methodologies, I as they say ran out of talent.  I then had the good sense to remove myself from that particular circle of fire.

Having said all that, I have to say this part of your post amused me.

seaofwonder said:
... The issue that had arisen was about some of the clip lights being seen from the audience to help the performers get on and off stage successfully) and, when he didn't like it, called them over and quite literally screamed in their face, "DO YOU NOT KNOW LIGHTING 101????"...

I find this rich, because Scott's lighting designs were terrible, and yes I know Toni winning, blah blah blah.

Having quite literally taught Lighting 101, I feel it is necessary to point out the 45/45 rule.  If you do not have significant directional lighting do not follow-spot from face on.  Further if your Toni winning lighting designer does not understand the limits of his space well enough to not spot actors from above when he is projecting, he relies on his Master Electricians too much to fix his mistakes.

Ming Cho Lee is famous for believing that designers should not have any practical experience because "it hampers their art and anything you draw can be put on stage"  Clearly he never looked at an Esher print.

I digress.

If you do not like the placement of a back stage running light because it is inside sight lines, there is no reason to go ballistic over it.  At worst move the damn thing yourself, and at best take the tech out into the audience and show him why it is a problem.

As a member of the national thespian society, i can unfortunately say ive had my fair share of run in with ppl like him. I have never met him and from the sound im sure that its A GOOD THING that i havent lol. But alot of ppl in places of power have had these im better than you because its my show. And ive always maintained Yes it is your show but... with out lowly ppl like me your show wouldnt come about. Its ridiculous that the only thing bigger than the stage in those cases are their heads. Ugh

^ I've heard that there are about three main contenders at this point. Of course, this is purely speculation. All I can say is that I don't remember any specific names, so it might not be anyone too familiar.

Also, speaking of Carl Lum; I think he might be very good for entertainment right now, even though he is just an "interim". He tends to be very "easy-going". This could be a good thing. Employee morale has come to an all-time low in that department. Having less tension from a powerful boss could be just what they need to start a recovery process. In the meantime, maybe some talented person will be able to show that they are capable of taking the job.

Of course I want the next VP to be very different. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that I want him/her to bring things back to the way they were prior to Scott's reign. In spite of all the downfalls, Busch Gardens has continued to put out great products among the not-so-great products. I want them to embrace the good, and continue down a path that will manage to entertain a large audience of people. Consistency of everything will have to be the key. That might not be easy, but it has been done before.

CastleOSullivan said:
^ I've heard that there are about three main contenders at this point. Of course, this is purely speculation. All I can say is that I don't remember any specific names, so it might not be anyone too familiar.

Also, speaking of Carl Lum; I think he might be very good for entertainment right now, even though he is just an "interim". He tends to be very "easy-going". This could be a good thing. Employee morale has come to an all-time low in that department. Having less tension from a powerful boss could be just what they need to start a recovery process. In the meantime, maybe some talented person will be able to show that they are capable of taking the job.

Of course I want the next VP to be very different. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that I want him/her to bring things back to the way they were prior to Scott's reign. In spite of all the downfalls, Busch Gardens has continued to put out great products among the not-so-great products. I want them to embrace the good, and continue down a path that will manage to entertain a large audience of people. Consistency of everything will have to be the key. That might not be easy, but it has been done before.

Nailed it. The past is the past. I'd rather BGW innovate and push forward into the future.

I remember a certain someone dropping this rumor a few months prior :3 I understand why everyone hates on scott. I also understand why people are quick to say "you shouldnt wish someone out of the job..." type of argument. I'm in the middle. If you dont do your job or don't do it well, you will be replaced. It's not personal or anything. But business is business. His shows weren't the most popular and his events we're less than adequate. Right there is the blunt of it. Although, good thing eh found another job. In this market it sucks to be let go from a job!

Reactions: Peej1212
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad