Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 7, 2021
Answering your question regarding the price, I don’t quite know the answer to that, but from what my family paid for this tour in 2018 it was around $79.99 a person. I think this years is $69.99, but you do get lights on Verbolten so……

Oct 7, 2011
That's interesting, thanks. I haven't done the VB tour since it was a separate thing from the rest of the roller coaster tour. And not only was it lights-off at that time, but they were STRICT about it. You were forbidden from taking out your phone, not only because it prevented anyone from taking flash photos but also because the glow from the screen would ruin your eyes' minutes-long adjustment to the extreme darkness in that corner of the building.

The tour guide had a small flashlight to illuminate our way, but was only allowed to use it when there were no riders in the building. Any time a train entered, the flashlight went out. If we were walking, we just stopped in place for a minute or so and waited to hear the exit launch before proceeding again.

After letting one's eyes adjust, there was a decent amount to see in there. Neat effects, though much of the hanging scenery was obscured by other hanging scenery. A different era.

Reactions: Zachary
Dec 7, 2021
The reason it’s lights on now, I believe, is it essentially replaced the Griffon lift walk, which was prior to operating hours. So in that sense, it makes sense that it would be lights on.

Reactions: Zachary
Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
I emailed guest services a few months ago to ask specifically about the trip up to the top of Griffon, and they replied that is not a part of the tour anymore :(
I believe that I heard insurance (or maybe government regulators) found out the details of what they were doing and put a stop to it. I guess when you were up there you weren't secured at all and that was a big no-no for them.

Mar 21, 2016
Not gonna lie, that ride to the top of Griffin (and back) in the sidecar was scarier than most coasters…

Reactions: Nicole

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
So, here is an unpopular opinion. The LNM station was far and away the best part of the tour. Walking around at the top of Griffon was horrific (I was pressured into doing it). I'm not entirely sure what was keeping anyone from falling to his or her death.

I think I recall hearing that the contraption that you take up to the top has some issues (which is worrying, since it is used for evac, I believe). But that might also partially explain why they got rid of the Walk of Death.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad