Existing Roller Coaster Racer 75

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Feb 7, 2016
I have heard about re-tracking done in recent years which is why I was soo surprised at the rough ride our group experienced. We rode on a very hot day for october. Maybe the roughest moment we hit was a transition between old track to new track, or vice versa IDK. I'm glad they are making an effort but I wonder if separating the years of track re-work is less effective then a full off-season re-track. Another factor are probably the PTC trains. I expect, and look forward to getting beaten up by a Grizzly bear every trip. I'd ideally like to get a different experience from this ride though.

Apr 22, 2019
I have heard about re-tracking done in recent years which is why I was soo surprised at the rough ride our group experienced. We rode on a very hot day for october. Maybe the roughest moment we hit was a transition between old track to new track, or vice versa IDK. I'm glad they are making an effort but I wonder if separating the years of track re-work is less effective then a full off-season re-track. Another factor are probably the PTC trains. I expect, and look forward to getting beaten up by a Grizzly bear every trip. I'd ideally like to get a different experience from this ride though.
I think you hit it on a bad day. I don't find it rough. It's pretty smooth, with some bumpiness on the return trip (I believe where it has not been retracked yet). Even that is really not bad at all, at least not the times I've ridden it. I agree they should have done a full retracking in one go.

Reactions: jornor
Mar 18, 2017
but I wonder if separating the years of track re-work is less effective then a full off-season re-track. Another factor are probably the PTC trains. I expect, and look forward to getting beaten up by a Grizzly bear every trip. I'd ideally like to get a different experience from this ride though.
Doing a bit at a time is less expensive, obviously, and being a wood coaster makes there little advantage to doing it all at once. The work they did for 2009 could not wait any longer, I'd go as far as to say the alternative would have been to close the ride. Comparatively, the rest was in great condition. That section of track is already getting rough again, showing it needs retracking more often.
At a much later time they rebuilt part of the drop structure, which goes beyond even retracking. I don't understand why, probably they didn't like the look of something and they were retracking anyway.
Retracking all at once would have avoided needing to close the south side for retracking during the 2017 season, however. Few noticed though.

As to the PTC trains, Racer has no fast curves so they don't damage the track as bad as on some. They could be better but I wouldn't trade them for Millennium Flyers' on THAT ride, with their autotightening bars without a return spring and no wheel seats that allow the newbs to absorb the bumps for you.

RE: ending the backwards train in 2008, I don't know how they weighed the reasons but I don't think you're going to ever hear it was because the ride was borderline unsafe even riding forwards. I know both RY and Grizzly hurt me that year (NOT Hurler). The way I then learned to ride RY was to push down hard with my feet at an exact split-second as it entered the rise into the turnaround -- try that backwards. It still had a kind of random bounce to it that seemed that might work for 100 rides and then on ride 101 it might just snap you.

Currently, the ride that really needs work IMO is Grizzly. It took on an oscillatory bounce or "pogo" -- different than washboarding -- late 10/2018 that persisted all last year and takes the front row from the smoothest row to one of its worst.

Feb 14, 2019
All I remember from backwards RY was I had a lot of fun on it when I was 12 or 13.

However, having read one of Dale Brumfield's blog posts on it (at least I think it was Theme Park Babylon where I got it from), the train only ran backwards because someone at the park under Paramount was like - if we turned the cars around and turn the chain dogs around, I bet it'll still run... So they did it.

Likewise, the only 2 likely reasons it was turned back around was that CF questioned the manufacturer about it since it wasn't a standard feature for that model and they said that operation wasn't recommended, and CF's safety/liability/insurance teams couldn't approve the ride for continued reverse-train operation based on the manufacturer's opinion.

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
All I remember from backwards RY was I had a lot of fun on it when I was 12 or 13.

However, having read one of Dale Brumfield's blog posts on it (at least I think it was Theme Park Babylon where I got it from), the train only ran backwards because someone at the park under Paramount was like - if we turned the cars around and turn the chain dogs around, I bet it'll still run... So they did it.

Likewise, the only 2 likely reasons it was turned back around was that CF questioned the manufacturer about it since it wasn't a standard feature for that model and they said that operation wasn't recommended, and CF's safety/liability/insurance teams couldn't approve the ride for continued reverse-train operation based on the manufacturer's opinion.
That matches pretty much exactly with what I have heard over the years.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Login or Register to Hide This Ad