Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

General Information:​

"Project Drachen Spire," is a community-generated identifier for the Intamin-made, multi-launch, shuttle giga coaster that was originally slated to open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2021. The attraction is planned to utilize the currently-vacant land behind Verbolten, Festhaus Park—the former home of Drachen Fire.

The coaster's main layout—as leaked before the addition was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—featured two launches, two spikes (one spiral, one vertical-ish), and a couple of banked turns. Drachen Spire was designed to run two trains by means of a pair of switch tracks connecting the primary, shuttle portion of the layout to the station platform.

Important Articles:​

• Most Up-To-Date Understanding of the Layout:
  • Most Recent Status Update:

NoLimits Model of the Layout:​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Additional Coverage (Newest to Oldest):​

Previous Thread:​

Last edited by a moderator:
At least Verbolten's bridge will have a cool view if you turn around in the back row....

Since this rumor/concept was leaked, I've hated the layout and placement of the spire part of the ride. I think the general idea is... decent... I guess. Even the simplicity of it is fine, it's just all that space and they decide to put a giant ass dragster tower basically right on top of Verbolten. It will not be balanced at all in terms of say Verbolten vs Pantheon on the other side of the water. The sight lines are all messed up with this one.

It won't be "woods" by the time this is built
Unfortunately- this is very, very true. They could’ve kept some trees up with pantheon by using the train crossing next to Circo as the entry to pantheon. The big plus to this plot of land is that there isn’t really any tree clearing that would need to take place here, with the exception of some where that last launch and spire will go.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
As cool as it'd be, I think Drachen Spire is likely the big 50th splash. Would be weird to have a giga on your 49th - makes anything on the 50th seem ho-hum.

edit: I DO think that space needs to be revitalized asap with winters being what they are. DarKoaster will help, but the park needs more and more climate control attractions.
I feel very confident in telling you the park has something else planned for the 50th. I would expect DS to open in 2024.

Theme Park Predictions made a fun little youtube video about this project today.

Appears he's not a fan of the shuttle, though. 🤣

Edit: I don't think it's anything real or valid - I just like videos highlighting our parks and giving BGWfans proper credits.

Last edited:
Just want to say that, for now, this is still accurate.

While I don't think anything has been absolutely finalized yet internally, it is my understanding that Drachen Spire, more-or-less as originally designed, is still currently in the pipeline. There's plenty of time for things to change since we're probably talking about a 2024 or 2025 project here, but all signs I've seen point to Drachen Spire right now.

I can’t wait to zip around the turn to go into the super version of the launch before Pantheons top hat!

I wonder how cool that launch will sound. I love the sound of Pantheon and VelociCoasters launches.
Agreed on sound, as you just don't get that on the smaller/older Intamin launch coasters. That said, after waiting through numerous cycles to address a maintenance issue on Pantheon earlier this evening, I was left pining for the simplicity of a chain system ala Apollo / Iron Gwazi.

Agreed on sound, as you just don't get that on the smaller/older Intamin launch coasters. That said, after waiting through numerous cycles to address a maintenance issue on Pantheon earlier this evening, I was left pining for the simplicity of a chain system ala Apollo / Iron Gwazi.
I really do hope that after DarKoaster and then this that we finally get a chain lift roller coaster. But even before that we need some more flats that aren’t older ride models.

^yeah I’m pretty glad we got Finnegans at least when they went for a large flat they got one of the best types. Really would like to see KD or BGW add some of these newer zamperla rides with nice large shoulder harnesses *stares at Mach Tower, Delirium, and Drop Tower*

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad