Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I heard a something about someone needing to go to the Reptilian site to "look at the broken scaffolding" or something along those lines as well. Crazy that I can hear that as I eat prime rib and roasted potatoes at a regional park.

Yeah, they play in-universe radio broadcast announcements over the sound system throughout the area. I even heard one saying something about the “Journey to Atlantis expedition” being cancelled- a nice Easter egg referring to one of the area’s short-lived past attractions. Just incredible attention to detail.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but it looking good now is fine, I'm interested in looking at it 5-7 years from now.

The reason so many parks have an "old west"-styled area (BGW's New France, KD's Old Virginia, SFA's Coyote Creek, etc) is that they're cheap to build and can remain presentably in-theme as they naturally age without too much maintenance.

I'd say that a jungle theme is definitely not as maintenance-free as those "old west" areas, but many of the same benefits do exist. A jungle area looks overgrown? Free, new, unintentional theming. Fabrics look a little ratty? That's nature. Fading paint? The rainforest will do that!

Anyway, my point is that of the "standard park themes," jungle is probably one of the less neglect-punishing options.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021
The reason so many parks have a "old west"-styled area (BGW's New France, KD's Old Virginia, SFA's Coyote Creek, etc) is that they're cheap to build and can remain presentably in theme as they naturally age without too much maintenance.

I'd say that a Jungle theme is definitely not as maintenance-free as those "old west" areas, but many of the same benefits do exist. A jungle area looks overgrown? Theming. Fabrics look a little ratty? That's nature. Fading paint? The rainforest will do that!

Anyway, my point is that of the "standard park themes," jungle is probably one of the less neglect-punishing options.
HOWEVER, when have we seen a park not known for theming do a complete 360 and start doing theming this well? We’ve seen plenty of parks start with great theming and then kinda just… stop. Whereas kings Dominion did the opposite and it’s absolutely kind boggling the detail they’re putting into it unlike their neighbor down the way.

Jul 14, 2019
HOWEVER, when have we seen a park not known for theming do a complete 360 and start doing theming this well? We’ve seen plenty of parks start with great theming and then kinda just… stop. Whereas kings Dominion did the opposite and it’s absolutely kind boggling the detail they’re putting into it unlike their neighbor down the way.
I think its likely a decision by Cedar Fair in direct response to BGW dropping the ball on the experience.

Nov 30, 2018
I think a lot of this is CF realizing the diminishing returns on a rides-heavy offering and seeing strong returns from trying out certain events and themes. The reality is there aren’t many, if any, new rides that can move the needle the way they could 20-30 years ago. Most every ride idea that could be built has been built, and you’re seeing incremental innovation at most.

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
Tumbili is down at the moment but they have a custom spew playing about monkeys chewing through the cables from the generator and maintenance working to restore access to the site. The emergence of theming in the area is amazing.
This absolutely is on the level of "Get out a zee way, Verbolten is going driving"....

Truly, this is a transfer of best theming from one park to the other.....

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
I think a lot of this is CF realizing the diminishing returns on a rides-heavy offering and seeing strong returns from trying out certain events and themes. The reality is there aren’t many, if any, new rides that can move the needle the way they could 20-30 years ago. Most every ride idea that could be built has been built, and you’re seeing incremental innovation at most.
I don't think it's diminishing returns on rides-heavy offerings as it is the types of rides that are offered. Cedar Fair seemed to learn that these record breaking coasters are very often driving attendance for a year and then dropping off because, a lot of the time, a record breaking coaster isn't exactly "fun" unless you are going to put an insane amount of money and engineering into it. This seemed to be why they had a knee-jerk and went to all "experience" attractions for a while but now they seem to be changing again and I think (or at least hope) that it's a realization that rides that don't break records but are just plain "fun" can drive attendance over a longer period of time and keep people coming back. They likely learned the last few years that rides are VERY important but that you don't have to dump money into a record breaker in order to get a return on investment as long as you aren't looking in the immediate short term (which is exactly what BGW is doing right now). A side effect of the short period they went through the "experience" attractions phase is perhaps they learned how much people enjoy interaction and immersion.

Nov 1, 2012
I don't think it's diminishing returns on rides-heavy offerings as it is the types of rides that are offered. Cedar Fair seemed to learn that these record breaking coasters are very often driving attendance for a year and then dropping off because, a lot of the time, a record breaking coaster isn't exactly "fun" unless you are going to put an insane amount of money and engineering into it. This seemed to be why they had a knee-jerk and went to all "experience" attractions for a while but now they seem to be changing again and I think (or at least hope) that it's a realization that rides that don't break records but are just plain "fun" can drive attendance over a longer period of time and keep people coming back. They likely learned the last few years that rides are VERY important but that you don't have to dump money into a record breaker in order to get a return on investment as long as you aren't looking in the immediate short term (which is exactly what BGW is doing right now). A side effect of the short period they went through the "experience" attractions phase is perhaps they learned how much people enjoy interaction and immersion.
A perfect example for KD was the Lost World ride complex. The rides in the mountain were not expensive in and of themselves. They had the immersive dark ride experience and the mystic of the area. Heck, looking back, the mountain was its own mini-area within Safari Village. They both blended well together and The Lost World complex was still a major draw for people 13-14 years later. It was only in the last couple of years (94-95) that ridership started to drop. Course the whole mountain shutdown after 1995 to make way for volcano. I don't think there is any coaster that had that type of pull on park visitors for that long.

Dec 7, 2021
A perfect example for KD was the Lost World ride complex. The rides in the mountain were not expensive in and of themselves. They had the immersive dark ride experience and the mystic of the area. Heck, looking back, the mountain was its own mini-area within Safari Village. They both blended well together and The Lost World complex was still a major draw for people 13-14 years later. It was only in the last couple of years (94-95) that ridership started to drop. Course the whole mountain shutdown after 1995 to make way for volcano. I don't think there is any coaster that had that type of pull on park visitors for that long.
The gimmick of being shot out of a volcano had a huge pull.

Apr 22, 2019
Heavily themed, less thrilling rides can draw crowds and so can less themed, high thrill rides. I don't think it's just one or the other. I didn't think Volcano was heavily themed. Yeah it had a volcano, but it only looked like one on the outside. The inside just looked like you were in a warehouse. But then you were only in there a short time given that you were being launched through it. Hopefully it's replacement will be high thrill *and* heavily themed. All this theming has set a precedent. I really hope they don't put in some clone ride with a lot of theming.

Mar 16, 2016
Heavily themed, less thrilling rides can draw crowds and so can less themed, high thrill rides. I don't think it's just one or the other. I didn't think Volcano was heavily themed. Yeah it had a volcano, but it only looked like one on the outside. The inside just looked like you were in a warehouse. But then you were only in there a short time given that you were being launched through it. Hopefully it's replacement will be high thrill *and* heavily themed.
It’s a matter of balancing the two IMO. It’s a spot I feel so many parks just get it flat out wrong. Build the ride with some theme elements year 1, expand on theme elements and some flats year 2, work on dining year 3.

Jun 17, 2011
Manassas
zachcphoto.com
High-ish quality photos of some of the original artwork created by Emory Alvarado. I emailed the park to inquire about prints and got an acknowledgement, so if anyone else wants to see that I'd suggest writing them. I'd very much like to own a couple of these and I'd rather not have to bootleg print a photograph.

Good Afternoon -

Thank you for your interest in purchasing a print from our Jungle X artist Emory Alvarado. She is a great artist indeed.

I have passed along your idea to the Merchandise Department Manager.

Thanks again!

Kathy

ZCZ_9789.jpg ZCZ_9786.jpg
ZCZ_9785.jpg ZCZ_9784.jpg
ZCZ_9783.jpg ZCZ_9780.jpg
ZCZ_9696.jpg
ZCZ_9698.jpg
ZCZ_9779.jpg

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
High-ish quality photos of some of the original artwork created by Emory Alvarado. I emailed the park to inquire about prints and got an acknowledgement, so if anyone else wants to see that I'd suggest writing them. I'd very much like to own a couple of these and I'd rather not have to bootleg print a photograph.

View attachment 26961 View attachment 26962
View attachment 26963 View attachment 26964
View attachment 26965 View attachment 26966
View attachment 26967
View attachment 26968
View attachment 26969

I love your idea of the park selling those prints in their gift shops. It’s great to see that the guest rep who answered your email forwarded it to the Merchandise department manager. Wonder if we’ll see anything happen with that.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad