Login or Register to Hide This Ad
May 23, 2021
For anyone interested of a sneak peek on the interior of the Outpost Cafe, I went back to the park today and managed to grab a photo through the front doors:

IMG_9288s.jpeg

Some things that I noticed:
  • Construction/updates seem mostly complete - so again, hopefully we'll see it open in the next couple of weeks.
  • The revamped flooring and wall paneling look fantastic.
  • The overhead menus are unfortunately still the previous offerings from Outer Hanks.
  • It appears they added some nice ambient lighting in the exposed beams (see far upper left of photo).
  • On the opposite side of the restaurant, they are fortunately keeping the indoor seating -- where as a side note, given this is their second "signature" restaurant, it would be great if they found a way to extend the Winterfest layout to include this indoor restaurant (along with Jungle Market Eatery) for the colder November/December months.
  • And lastly, it appears they updated the serving layout -- where if you recall, at Outer Hanks you paid first, and then stood in a mob people waiting for your food. But here it almost seems you pickup your food first, and then pay at the end (perhaps at the counters in the middle of the floor, partially hidden in this photo by the pallet).

And also attached is the same photo, but full-size, for anyone interested in zooming in.

Attachments

• IMG_9288.jpeg
    IMG_9288.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 45

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
For anyone interested of a sneak peek on the interior of the Outpost Cafe, I went back to the park today and managed to grab a photo through the front doors:

View attachment 26720

Some things that I noticed:
  • Construction/updates seem mostly complete - so again, hopefully we'll see it open in the next couple of weeks.
  • The revamped flooring and wall paneling look fantastic.
  • The overhead menus are unfortunately still the previous offerings from Outer Hanks.
  • It appears they added some nice ambient lighting in the exposed beams (see far upper left of photo).
  • On the opposite side of the restaurant, they are fortunately keeping the indoor seating -- where as a side note, given this is their second "signature" restaurant, it would be great if they found a way to extend the Winterfest layout to include this indoor restaurant (along with Jungle Market Eatery) for the colder November/December months.
  • And lastly, it appears they updated the serving layout -- where if you recall, at Outer Hanks you paid first, and then stood in a mob people waiting for your food. But here it almost seems you pickup your food first, and then pay at the end (perhaps at the counters in the middle of the floor, partially hidden in this photo by the pallet).

And also attached is the same photo, but full-size, for anyone interested in zooming in.

This is *sexy.* I know Cedar Fair has been saying they've been stepping up their food game but this is looking like the old food places under Anheuser Busch level good.

Feb 4, 2022
The Intamin Multi-Launch's Maintenance Shed: Just a clothe covering
The S&S Freespin Maintenance Shed: A full on Temple where they have theming covering the transfer track because it keeps the immersion

And the Freespin is at a Cedar Fair park.
I love you, Kings Dominion.

May 23, 2021
Today (Saturday) at the park, it looks like they're getting the stage setup to do the first performance, outside of Jungle Market Eatery. (But I did not stick around to see the performance, as the park is rather crowded; apparently expecting 14,000 people today, with the opening of Soak City).

IMG_9647.jpeg

And another new major addition today is the opening of the Tin Goose bar, outside of Outpost Cafe.

IMG_9673.jpeg

IMG_9672.jpeg

May 23, 2021
And with the park shifting to a full 7-day per week operation, here after Memorial Day weekend, I would (unfortunately) assume the number of new Jungle X-Pedition theming additions to pause. So in terms of the latest updates...

The biggest addition I noticed, added this past week, was the tent outside of Reptilian is now fully decked out; where it looks like it's a true base camp. (Note: At the bottom of the message, I'll attach closeup photos of all the new items.) The degree of theming on this one is truly impressive though.

IMG_9658.jpeg

Though not theming related, the park also seemed to make some progress on the new Trailside Treats building, just across from Volcano's old queue house.

IMG_9661.jpeg

But peaking inside, it seems they still to have a bit of work to do. (Of note, it's also nice to see the mini-split AC unit on the wall, for the comfort of those working here; unlike the food trucks in Soak City, briefly mentioned in this other post.)

IMG_9660.jpeg

Another new addition this week is this scavenger-hunt type of activity. -Which seems pretty cool. But walking through Jungle X-Pedition with my son today, we honestly could not find any of the symbols pictured; so not sure if we simply overlooked them (which is likely the case), or if they're still in the process of adding some of these details.

IMG_9645.jpeg

And though the following couple of items are not new additions from this past week - as they've been there for several weeks now - since I haven't seen them posted previously in the thread...

As you walk into Jungle X-Pedition, they created a mini flower bed, following the arc of the circle; which looks really cool, but actually works as a hindrance when the paths are filled with people (like today 😉)

IMG_9566.jpeg

And in that same photo, notice how they added a glossy texture to both the stamped cement and pebble inlays... where the following is a closeup of the latter.

IMG_9568.jpeg

And last but not least, note the little animal tracks going across the landing strip (outside of Outpost Cafe) 🙂

IMG_9675.jpeg

As it's been said many times in this thread - the sheer degree the park went into theming this area is simply mind boggling, where I truly hope it's a continued trend to come!

Attachments

• IMG_9652.jpeg
    IMG_9652.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9654.jpeg
    IMG_9654.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9655.jpeg
    IMG_9655.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9656.jpeg
    IMG_9656.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9657.jpeg
    IMG_9657.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26

Coasternerd

What’s better than one coaster? 2 coasters!
Dec 7, 2021
Tumbili is down at the moment but they have a custom spew playing about monkeys chewing through the cables from the generator and maintenance working to restore access to the site. The emergence of theming in the area is amazing.
It is absolutely astonishing the effort that is being put into this area. Nowadays you’ll hear “due to technical difficulties” KD over here with “monkeys are chewing through….”

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
It is absolutely astonishing the effort that is being put into this area. Nowadays you’ll hear “due to technical difficulties” KD over here with “monkeys are chewing through….”
More then just that Reptilian went down for a little while and it has a spew about Dr something needing to close the site for urgent work.

Coasternerd

What’s better than one coaster? 2 coasters!
Dec 7, 2021
More then just that Reptilian went down for a little while and it has a spew about Dr something needing to close the site for urgent work.
Holy cow I’m absolutely loving this- I might have a new favorite park in Virginia before long. I’m going on Friday so I’ll get to see the updates as well since my last visit, in person.

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but it looking good now is fine, I'm interested in looking at it 5-7 years from now. Inside Universal did a 5 years later photo comp with Volcano Bay and it was so color faded and honestly looked kinda bland in pictures.

Nibbins

Resident Rat - They/Them
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
In all honesty, I rather have it nice now and run-down in 7 years than them not even bother to try to theme in first place.

They could have stopped putting details in weeks ago and everyone would have accepted it and thought it's pretty great.
The fact that they still add to it makes it look like they have someone responsible for the theming that actually cares a lot about the area.
Lets hope they stay around and get the budget needed to maintain the area.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad