Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hopeful that it is an exciting flat. I agree with others that the Screaming Swing looks to be a great fit. But, since others are mentioning possible other "fits", I'll throw the Tourbillion from ABC Rides Switzerland. I'm not sure if Six Flags has an exclusive but it's known at Cyborg Cyber Spin in New Jersey. The specs show it at 65+ feet tall in operation held by two pedestals. I'm on a tablet and can't seem to post a YouTube link. But it's a ride not for "chickens" (like me).

Sorry, I'd missed walfelg mentioning (asking) this previously.

Last edited:
Like a few others who have posted so far I'm extremely wary of this project. I think the aesthetic of the ride isn't very attractive, just in my personal opinion. But to cut down some beautiful trees that soften the landscape and create a sense of magic and beauty is heartbreaking and heinous. But again, just my opinion. I hear you guys saying it's a great ride and a lot of fun but to me this is wholly unworthy of this location.

Having said that, as ever, I can't judge it until I see it.

And having said *that*, I just want to reiterate how much this scares and disappoints me.

:(:eek::oops:

Another ride that's 115 feet tall?

23399.jpg

I think with exceptional theme work like Dollywood did then they can really make up for it. Castle ends on the legs of the ride, castle wall at the drop off, a gate as the entrance, maybe a nice looking building or two in the queue for shade made to look like a part of a castle. Wrap the outside in vines, flowers, short trees, and SSSSHUBERRY! [Monty Python voice there].

I hear you guys saying it's a great ride and a lot of fun but to me this is wholly unworthy of this location.

I'm not sure of my opinion on the ride itself. Doesn't seem like it would be a favorite of mine, but I can see what it would offer the park.

As for the location, yeah, I'm partial to Killarney and would think this sort of attraction would fit better in say... Festa. But where? You see how Tempesto was worked in. Maybe in a future Madrid? But no hamlet is confirmed around that "attraction" and that's a year later...

I'd prefer a year-round dark ride in Killarney. Or Catapult... with witches. jk.

I'm just thinking it could be done well with the right landscaping, it adds something from a ride mix perspective (especially that middle age range I've said is lacking), and if nothing else... my instinct to push this sort of thing off to Festa notwithstanding, the park probably wants to spread the love around and mix up the rides... so a dark ride with another in Battle of Éire (accent mark/correct spelling intended) so close to it may not be desired...

This in place in Ireland, I hope (and I know this is likely more for the concepts thread) they replace Da Vinci's Cradle with a Six Flags Cyborg Spin clone (I dunno who made that but I want one!), and move Da Vinci's Cradle elsewhere. Because that Cyborg Spin is big, move Battering Ram to New France (fits in with Invadr now).

I don't see the park moving any rides out of Italy, nor do I want them to.

The flat rides in San Marco are based off concepts of Da Vinci's inventions (e.g. Battering Ram (Tank), Little Gliders & Flying Machine (Ornithopter), Little Balloons (Parachute).

Something like Cyborg Spin would be out of place there.

I don't see the park moving any rides out of Italy, nor do I want them to.

The flat rides in San Marco are based off concepts of Da Vinci's inventions (e.g. Battering Ram (Tank), Little Gliders & Flying Machine (Ornithopter), Little Balloons (Parachute).

Something like Cyborg Spin would be out of place there.

Gyroscope (what that ride is based on) was commonplace in Da Vinci's designs, especially those that flew (using it for stability). Just saying ;) Anyways that's off topic.

As for the project itself: It almost looks like you can make out where the queue is and where the exit path is. Looks like the exit path goes to the pipeline side and loops all the way around. Would be an interesting choice if they go with that.

Reactions: Mushroom
As for the project itself: It almost looks like you can make out where the queue is and where the exit path is. Looks like the exit path goes to the pipeline side and loops all the way around. Would be an interesting choice if they go with that.

The thin line ROW side? Is that a path? I took that as a landscaping or structural retaining wall given the grade on the ROW side (albeit not too severe; looks like 1' contours), that the impacted area for the ride and compressor building would have to be level pads, and that it seems pretty narrow & not ADA accessible. It also doesn't seem connect back to the main pathway in Killarney.

I could be wrong in my interpretation though.

Looking at the filed elevation diagram, the pad is also partially built on piers, so the right side of that path would also have to be elevated. That's easy enough to build, but it still seems like a wall to me.

My guess is there would be no exit path and it would probably dump out onto the main path next to the bridge (think Mach Tower exit).

I would think the narrow path shown that y'all are referring to is most likely a concrete lined drainage channel, or potentially a retaining wall. Looks like it's about 3-6' wide roughly, based on the drawing scale, matching a drainage ditch width.

From the drawing it looks like the swing will interact with some kind of castle structure, which will give it a more interesting element than other swings and some better theming than these rides typically have. If BGW does this right, it will be a great addition. I've been a huge fan of these rides since I first rode Skyhawk years ago at Cedar Point, and BGW desperately needs a high end thrilling flat ride. The fact that KD does not have one is a great bonus, as has been mentioned. I'm still concerned about how noisy these rides are for this location, though. Great work as always, @Zachary!

From the drawing it looks like the swing will interact with some kind of castle structure, which will give it a more interesting element than other swings and some better theming than these rides typically have. If BGW does this right, it will be a great addition. I've been a huge fan of these rides since I first rode Skyhawk years ago at Cedar Point, and BGW desperately needs a high end thrilling flat ride. The fact that KD does not have one is a great bonus, as has been mentioned. I'm still concerned about how noisy these rides are for this location, though. Great work as always, @Zachary!
The castle looking structure is the existing gate to Ireland next to the bridge, I believe.

The thin line ROW side? Is that a path? I took that as a landscaping or structural retaining wall given the grade on the ROW side (albeit not too severe; looks like 1' contours), that the impacted area for the ride and compressor building would have to be level pads, and that it seems pretty narrow & not ADA accessible. It also doesn't seem connect back to the main pathway in Killarney.

I could be wrong in my interpretation though.

The way I'm reading what the article Zachary linked was in the purple they are leveling current ground, the orange is going to have something built up to that.

The way I'm reading what the article Zachary linked was in the purple they are leveling current ground, the orange is going to have something built up to that.

I didn't get that... The (dark) purple coincides with areas outside of the 50' Resource Protection Area (RPA) boundary, which they call "landward." Orange is inside of the RPA, which they call "seaward." The 50' RPA boundary line between them is delineated with a heavy red line, with "landward" and "seaward" referring to their relation to the RPA boundary ("sea" is inside, as greater potential impact to the bay).

As for uses, I originally took the right orange box to be the pad for the assumed Screamin' Swing, and the left to be for the compressor building S&S shows in their specs. The queue could connect from the Killarney walkway and snake through the (dark) purple area. The thin mostly orange line would be a wall of some sort, as it appears to be < 2.5' wide when I overlay and rotate the scale over it--so too narrow for a walkway, building code/ADA-compliant or not. Whether RPA or its buffer, the impacted areas need to be denoted as to their permanent or temporary impacts for the permitting process.

But I'm only saying the above on uses because of the shapes of the impacted areas and the ride/supporting infrastructure layout; that my theory coincides with the colors is a coincidence. And really the only one I'm fairly sure of is the ride's pad, assuming the S&S swing. There are many possible layouts for the queue and it's easy enough to drop a compressor building somewhere. (edit: in fact, the more I think about it, the more I see a "dog leg" queue taking shape in the leftmost orange box and part of the dark purple, with additional separation between the queue and the arc of the swinging swing--so compressors go someplace else, probably closer to the actual ride).

At this point I'm leaning towards the four orange permanent impacts to the RPA (far left on one diagram) to be something unrelated, or to infrastructure that isn't necessarily tied just to this attraction, as it's outside of the limits of work for Project Ireland. I would keep an eye out for electrical permits at JCC to see if any are proposed for the "Ireland section of the park."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad