Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
madmax said:
That doesn’t mean build a lame, forceless coaster. Kids need to grow a pair.

ignoring the fact that you're telling children to "grow up" because they are afraid of being in a fast moving machine where they are vulnerable to the elements and could get hurt, I really don't think is the right place for this type of conversation.

kingadam said:
Celticdog said:
The third figure shows the bridge at 65.5', not at the existing grades which are much lower down. If James City County does interpret the third figure as such, then the top of the structure could actually be at elevation 155.5. Bridge elevation of 65.5 plus 90'. That's way above the valley floor.

You are correct the County code for the M-1 zoning district is for anything over 60' above existing/finished grades.

But the structure would not be over top of the bridge, so the existing grade would be the valley floor, or the lowest elevation that is directly below the structure. That's why I believe that we're probably looking at a maximum elevation of around 125-130, since the lowest contour within the area of the structure is close to 35' or 40'.  The distance, if I'm interpreting the code correctly, is measured at the point where the distance between the top of the structure and the existing/finished grade directly below is the greatest.

Definitely comes down to interpretation and exact location of the the 90' structure. And of course what it is. A coaster with 90 above a point that's another 30' above the lowest point has some hope to it for excitement. A launch tower or building means that there's going to be a hard cap to how much height it will get.

Lolers said:
madmax said:
That doesn’t mean build a lame, forceless coaster.
I'm no physicist, but I'm pretty sure "forceless coaster" is an oxymoron.

madmax said:
Kids need to grow a pair.
Dude. That's just a f***d up statement on so many levels.

How is that f-ed up? If they want to ride a roller coaster they need to embrace some level of intensity. It’s not like they’re doing some dangerous or risky endeavor. Kids today are really pampered too much.

sereniv said:
madmax said:

ignoring the fact that you're telling children to "grow up" because they are afraid of being in a fast moving machine where they are vulnerable to the elements and could get hurt, I really don't think is the right place for this type of conversation.

Actually no, kids aren’t going to get hurt on a ride they are tall enough for.

Looks like the roflcopter is touching down in this thread.

Roflcopter.gif

A little late to the discussion here as I've been gone all weekend, but this is all interesting stuff. I really wasn't expecting plans for any Ireland stuff in addition to Project Madrid. I've long thought that that area of Ireland would be a perfect spot for a spinning coaster. I do think that BGW could use a smaller coaster than Invadr for kids between that and Grover, plus I think spinning coasters are a lot of fun for all ages. The return on the size is pretty good in my opinion. That said, I agree with the others saying that BGW needs a top tier thrill ride. I'd love to see them add a spinner in a few years, but I've said it before; Griffon was 11 years ago, and BGW needs a major roller coaster addition that will get the nation's attention again. Other than that, I do think that the park is sorely hurting for good flat rides. Their last major flat addition was Mach Tower which is clearly maligned on this forum, and I'm not typically a huge tower ride guy. S&S Screamin' Swings are my favorite flat, and I've long wanted one at BGW, as someone else said, but I think this is a terrible spot for it. Those rides are very loud, and I think it would destroy the ambience of the area, especially being so close to Abbey Stone Theater. I think Germany would be a great area to bring a Screamin' Swing, and I still want to see one (or maybe as a part of Project Madrid).

Reactions: SLC Headache
I've convinced myself this is something other than a coaster. There's not enough space. Back where the start of Killarney is, the path and the pipeline are only 85 feet apart. Even without needing a station and anything like that right there, it's really tight. Then the area behind that you got the AST backstage area, Pet Shenanigans backstage, the wolf valley, and eagle ridge. That's a lot of things that are noise sensitive in a small area. I think this is an really well themed flat where the noise is mostly going to be from the screams, which isn't loud enough to bother the animals or cause problems for Celtic Fyre. A coaster would just be too loud and too cramped to work in that space.

The total area in that spot is 70,500 sq ft. InvadR is relatively small and compact and takes up 84,000 sq ft. The closest I could come size wise is BLSC, but even the shape doesn't really match. The space is a strange almose 'J' shape to it.

I rather this be a flat with a wonderful theme, that enters at that tight area but stays inside the trees in order to keep the pipeline 'hidden' and has the actual ride 'hidden' behind the buildings.

Reactions: Adam
They'll never put a coaster in Ireland or England for the purpose of charm.

madmax said:

Most parks don't have rides and especially coasters in their entry plaza. So for that reason England won't have one. There's reasons other than 'charm' Ireland won't get one.

I think everyone is overlooking the obvious...

How better to reinvigorate Ireland but to return Catapult to Hastings Killarney in all its original glory?

That's right, I think the best use for this project is as a show building for Catapult, reminding us of days of yore when Catapult was an indoor ride--black lights and witches and all!

Catapult will then have made a complete circuit around the park.  I can think of no more fitting tribute to such a storied and iconic BGW flat, and a great way to mark the upcoming 45th anniversary!

warfelg said:
I've convinced myself this is something other than a coaster.  There's not enough space.  

In all seriousness...  Yes, I agree... and a quality, flat, dark ride would fit best with space, budget, and overall need, IMHO.

Reactions: warfelg
thopping said:
I think everyone is overlooking the obvious...

How better to reinvigorate Ireland but to return Catapult to Hastings Killarney in all its original glory?

That's right, I think the best use for this project is as a show building for Catapult, reminding us of days of yore when Catapult was an indoor ride--black lights and witches and all!

Catapult will then have made a complete circuit around the park.  I can think of no more fitting tribute to such a storied and iconic BGW flat, and a great way to mark the upcoming 45th anniversary!

While I think that would be great, that's a huge building and waste of building materials/money to make something that tall for something short. Would require then finding something roughly the same size in the Canada (hey now the flag is out I'm calling it that) for a ride they just moved there 2 years prior.

warfelg said:
...that's a huge building and waste of building materials/money to make something that tall for something  short.  
I agree, and don't realistically see "the structure" as a fit for Catapult, but it would be amusing.

My serious thoughts are in the second post... regardless of what it is, a quality, dark, flat would be a welcomed addition. Or a quality flat. Ideally dark, for variety (especially post DarKastle), year-round operation, and as a respite from seasonal heat/cold.

madmax said:

I am not certain that is biologically possible in slightly over 50% of the population.

madmax said:

That is an absolute statement. I assume you have data, references, and several trustworthy primary sources to back this up. Surely this is not just a baseless comment based purely on your likely on your uninformed and completely inexpert opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad