Old Virginia

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
Grizzly Gulch General Store looks PHENOMENAL. Beautifully themed. Every inch of the place makes it look like a genuine, old country cabin. Easily some of the best theming in the entire park, and it rivals many of BGW’s nicest shops in terms of appearance. Great retro and Grizzly merch too. I’ll post pics later. Super impressed.

Nov 24, 2009
Grizzly Gulch General Store looks PHENOMENAL. Beautifully themed. Every inch of the place makes it look like a genuine, old country cabin. Easily some of the best theming in the entire park, and it rivals many of BGW’s nicest shops in terms of appearance. Great retro and Grizzly merch too. I’ll post pics later. Super impressed.
Dangit...the one store I forgot to go in today and it sounds like it was probably the best.

Reactions: jornor
Nov 1, 2012
It is my understanding that KD has a person, hired about a year ago, who planned/designed all the indoor decor for the Intl Street Shops during Winterfest and coordinated the Holiday decor set-up throughout the park. That same person designed the new country store decor and assisted in installing it.

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
New brick path in Old Virginia. I think it looks great. I love how they used the old colonial style bricks to fit the area’s theme.

I love all the work the park has done with Old Virginia this season. Between The Parched Pig, Grizzly Gulch General Store, the new panning for gold water feature, and now this old-style brick pathway, the area is more cohesively themed and beautiful than it’s been in decades. All they have to do is ditch the modern country music and Old Virginia will be perfect. Huge kudos to KD for their impressive revitalization of this long-neglected section, even without a new attraction in the area. Great work!

Nov 1, 2012
I had been hoping for the last 15-20 years to see this happen in Old VA. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

Did the park lay the brick pavers since the park opened for the season? If so, I wonder if KD will continue continue this project while the park is closed during the week?

Reactions: Joe and Connor

Joe

Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
Did the park lay the brick pavers since the park opened for the season? If so, I wonder if KD will continue continue this project while the park is closed during the week?
It was all asphalt on Preview Day. I think they were added this past week. The pavers only extend from the bottom of the second photo to where the left curb opens up to the Kings Dominion Theater entry plaza right now. I noticed the entire edge of the brick area was covered with a nailed-down rubber mat, so I have a feeling this means they’re not done yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bricks continue into the Theater plaza and to the other side of the curb towards Wayside Grill.

Nov 1, 2012
It was all asphalt on Preview Day. I think they were added this past week. The pavers only extend from the bottom of the second photo to where the left curb opens up to the Kings Dominion Theater entry plaza right now. I noticed the entire edge of the brick area was covered with a nailed-down rubber mat, so I have a feeling this means they’re not done yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bricks continue into the Theater plaza and to the other side of the curb towards Wayside Grill.
It's unusual for KD to be doing a project of this type once the park has opened for the season. Make no mistake, they have done construction work once the park has opened; but, it has been in places off-limits to the GP (new attraction area) or only open for special events (Haunt buildings for example).

I assume they will at least take the brick across the whole front of the KD Theater (Up to the entrance and maybe to the antique car bridge entrance/exit). I guess, if budget and time allow, they could take the brick walkway past the Grizzly Gulch Store to just past the vine tunnel entrance on one side of the area. On the other side of Old VA, up past the parched pig and liberty bell to the bridge over the creek.

At that point, the area between the log flume queue, White Water Canyon, restrooms, and Wayside Grill is wide enough where the park could close off part of the path for repaving and still keep the other part open for access by the GP.

There is the potential for KD to complete all of Old VA before they go to daily operations Memorial Day weekend. I keep wondering if the Old VA area will receive the 2020 or 2021 attraction for the park.

Last edited:
Reactions: Connor and Joe
Login or Register to Hide This Ad