Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Howl-O-Scream 2012: Night Beats

I was not expecting much from this show after seeing the opening act on pass-holder appreciation day. It was painful to watch. I couldn't wait for it to end. The performers did a fine job with what they were given. But this is Howl-O-Scream! Yes, I guess they were vampires...I guess...sorta. The host kept reminding us of that every other minute in the show. To paraphrase, "We are vampires..." and "You are undead..." But seriously, red velvet? Rainbow-colored superhero costumes? Silver Afros and disco lights? Come on! We can do better than this. This show was bad. It was neither fun, entertaining nor Halloweenie in any kind of way. The show did end on somewhat of a high note, though. The sparks were really cool! If you are going to be daring and actually watch this in its entirety, avoid sitting towards the front-right of the hall. Your view will be blocked by the boxes that the musicians sit in (although that may not necessarily be a bad thing). I highly advise, if you are of proper age, that you have a few adult beverages to enjoy the show. Maybe that is why they added the new bar outside? That being said, my little girl liked it. :)

I don't know how many theater people are on here, but parts are a LOT like Cabaret (nightclub characters like the emcee, Sally Bowles, etc), but with Hanna Barbera level cheese...

Scott really seems to love his showtunes; even after Entwined, he's still recycling 'em: "That Old Devil Moon" from Finian's Rainbow, "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat" from Guys & Dolls, "Tonight" from West Side Story, "Get Happy" from The Nine-Fifteen Revue, "The Jitterbug" filmed-for but cut-from The Wizard of Oz...

For me (and probably just a handful of other people), it's hard to see these songs as just songs because I associate them with the musicals they were created for - the original setting, characters, etc., as well as the plot they were helping to move forward.

The host of the show looks like Doctor Facilier from The Princess and the Frog.

chickenking said:
...avoid sitting towards the front-right of the hall. Your view will be blocked by the boxes that the musicians sit in (although that may not necessarily be a bad thing)

Had they kept the original, unique stage where the band was above the stage and just added runways as in previous years, this wouldn't be an issue. ;)

I'm sorry to say that I'm going to be really unpopular here: I feel like, as with Entwined, the show sprang from a great concept but lost its way during development. Like a paddleball in the hand of someone lacking coordination, it's bouncing all over the place with no one specific direction: showtunes, disco, 80's rock, etc., with no real throughline for it to make sense - even from a design standpoint, there's no connecting thread: steampunk, 20s, ballroom, afro wigs... The talent is great, don't get me wrong... but as far as the material goes, to me it's just another glitzy "let me distract you with shiny objects" clunker from Scott.

Reactions: chickenking

First, thanks for the video Zachary. It is really appreciated by those of us who can't make it. I find the concept of going through time interesting, since the vampires in the club have been around for a long time. It was cool how they used songs from different period, but I liked the songs at the beginning way more than the ones at the end. Something else I liked was the setting of the show: The Caskst Club, rather than Das Festhaus.

In regards to song selection, I only liked some of it. My favorites were "Shadows of the Night" and "Tonight." These songs were the best IMO because of all the dancers being on stage, the type of dancing they were doing, and the vocals.

However, once they dropped the disco ball, I had a feeling the show would go downhill from there. Starting with "Get Happy," and lasting until the end of the show, the main thing I didn't like were the outfits, they were way too flashy for me. Also, the setting of the show, with the cobwebs on the chandeliers didn't match the last few songs that they did.

One last thing is that I like the detail put into this show; the addition of the floor lights, the "Casket Club" sign, the red fabric, and the chandeliers. I also enjoyed the use of so many props throughout the show. To me, the little things are what make the show.

So overall I'm really impressed with this show. Again, all of this stuff is just my opinion and take on this show. I hope Scott has been learning so his future shows can only get better.

Night Beats is my favorite new show since Celtic Fyre debuted back in 2009. Between the fantastic cast, the live band, the impressive choreography, a great, varied set list, and even the cheesy puns and jokes used as filler, the show, in my opinion, turned out amazing. I truly was blown away. Did I mention how stunningly good the singers and live band are? Well, they're really, really great. It's also worth mentioning that I thought the story was very well executed. There's an underlying conflict in the show that, unlike in Entwined, isn't essential to the show. Anyone walking in half-way though will enjoy the show without understanding what's going on in the story. That really is a key component in making a show that works in an eatery like Das Festhaus and I think the park pulled it off perfectly with Night Beats.

Also, anyone know if the lead in Night Beats has been in any other notable roles at the park? He's sort of amazing.

Zachary said:
Did I mention how stunningly good the singers and live band are? Well, they're really, really great.

On this I completely agree with you - even on video, which is rarely a live performer's friend, their talent shines through.

One of my criticisms is all of the costume changes - it's a cabaret, and they could have gotten by with one set of vampire-influenced non-period costumes (think stage versions of Cabaret or Chicago but with an edge) for the ensemble, and used the rest of the budget for scare actors and decorations elsewhere...

Zachary said:
I'm with Pandorazboxx on that one.

They're lovely. My point is that, based on all the HOS reactions I've seen thus far, there are better places the budget could have gone to this year.

I understand but there's no reason why the park can't do all of it- especially since they already have the theming they need sitting in storage somewhere.

Despite the parachute pants, I would like to congratulate Scott on showing a considerable amount of restraint in that:

There was only one Twilight reference.
The song list wasn't all modern pop.
He didn't go overboard with stage effects.

Angelicurrr requested a list of the songs used in Night Beats as others have provided for the other two Howl-O-Scream shows so, well, here it is. Now, disclaimer, I'm not exactly a musical encyclopedia. I only knew a few of the songs off the top of my head and for the rest, I used Google. If anything is wrong, please correct it.

Pat Benatar: Shadows Of The Night
Jamie Cullum: Old Devil Moon
Ella Fitzgerald: That Old Black Magic
Frank Loesser: Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat
Stevie Wonder: Superstition
Westside Story: Tonight, Tonight
Cyndi Lauper: All Through The Night
Judy Garland: Get Happy
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons: December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)
Bee Gees: Night Fever
Richard Finch: Get Down Tonight
Alicia Bridges: I Love the Night Life
Judy Garland & Jane Powell: The Jitterbug
Wham!: Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Eddie Money: Take Me Home Tonight
La Bouche: Tonight is the Night
Lady Gaga: Marry The Night

Zachary said:
Angelicurrr requested a list of the songs used in Night Beats as others have provided for the other two Howl-O-Scream shows so, well, here it is. Now, disclaimer, I'm not exactly a musical encyclopedia. I only knew a few of the songs off the top of my head and for the rest, I used Google. If anything is wrong, please correct it.

Thank you, thank you! I was SO excited when I first saw the show and heard Gaga, I almost lost my torte cake :)

Zachary said:

Thank God someone did this. My OCD-like nature has been tormenting me to make a list for this show like I tried to do for DIU & Fiends. But it hasn't been a secret that I don't really like Night Beats. I was going to try to sit through this show again tonight (I still may), but now the pressure is off. Eureka!!

Reactions: Haberdasher1973

I would like to say that I have now seen this show 3 1/2 times now over three weekends. That is twice what I originally said I would do. My daughter absolutely loves Night Beats, and that combined with chasing the spider on the floor and both of us really liking to hang out and have the Mile-High Corned Beef sandwich has led to these repeated viewings.

The show is...`shudder`...growing on me.

I like most of the songs (original recordings) and some of the performances of them. The lead vampire does an awesome job with his cheese and the dancers and other singers are pretty good. Stepping back and trying not to judge it on my expectations of what I want to see in Halloween entertainment, I can now say with some reservations that this is a decent show. But I am sticking to my guns on the subject of the disco crap and especially the neon bee outfits. Absolutely hate those.

Reactions: Haberdasher1973

For the record, the antennae they added to the jitterbug outfits look awful. They were walking a fine line with this show and adding antennae pushed it a little too far into the cheesy category for me. Yes, it's just a little detail, but still, they look bad.

Reactions: chickenking
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad