Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
No, but you can't tell me the vendor (who took over many of the employee break areas) is not making money. And employees now (at many of locations) get the choice of microwavable food instead of actual fresh cooked food. Or, a few years ago, when they tried to sell Chick-fil-a sandwiches for $4 (after they were almost half that price the year before) only to face a big employee uproar.

Most employees get 30 minutes lunches. It's a captive audience because they have little time to get to the nearby fast food joints. Feed them at a reasonable cost (break even) and give them something good and fresh to eat. When I worked at Disney we'd eat at the employee dining rooms even on days off.. it was cheaper and healthier than buying and cooking at home.

Ive only eaten at the Festhaus employee one a couple times, it was nice thought being able to grab a burger somewhere else than at the front of the park and having many choices in one place.

No, but you can't tell me the vendor (who took over many of the employee break areas) is not making money. And employees now (at many of locations) get the choice of microwavable food instead of actual fresh cooked food. Or, a few years ago, when they tried to sell Chick-fil-a sandwiches for $4 (after they were almost half that price the year before) only to face a big employee uproar.

Most employees get 30 minutes lunches. It's a captive audience because they have little time to get to the nearby fast food joints. Feed them at a reasonable cost (break even) and give them something good and fresh to eat. When I worked at Disney we'd eat at the employee dining rooms even on days off.. it was cheaper and healthier than buying and cooking at home.
I suspect it is revenue neutral to the park but their vendors are certianly going to have to make a buck why else would they be in business.

Reactions: Mushroom
Vendor is simply taking their share of the operating costs, everything else gets soaked up through the park.

Only way you can truly be revenue neutral is if it was run in-house but parks have been having a hard time with staffing in F&B in recent years.

You are misinformed on the break areas, @GrandpaD.

First off there are only two places where there are vendors. The team store (located near the employee entrance) and then another in England. They operate the same as the vending machines on property. When I worked there the prices were still lower than if I had bought them from 7-11 on my way in.

There are 3 employee break areas at BGW and one at WCUSA. At BGW they are in France, Festhaus and Italy. As someone who would have been working at BGW during the time you described I can tell you that you are misinformed they never charged $4 for a Chick-fil-A sandwich (that still would be cheaper than at actual chick-fil-a). I reached out to a friend of mine and he confirmed that the price is still the $2.25 that is has been for as long as we can remember. They used to and still do have a combo option where you got an entree, side and drink for $4.50. Typically the food that they are serving is the same food they sell to guests priced significantly cheaper. I used to frequently get a rack of ribs, soda and fries for that $4.50. Tell me another place where you can get such a good price? The food isn't microwaved, in fact the only microwaves at BGW are in the Candy shop to quickly soften fudge for decorating and in the seating areas of the break rooms for team members to hear up food they brought from home.

Also most at BGW the length of your break depends on the length of your shift. Most employees are on break for an hour or more. You only have 30 minute break if your shift is less than 6 hours. Beyond that for every 2 hours it goes up by 15 minutes.

I double checked all this information today with people still working at the park. And they confirmed that the break rooms still work the same as they did last year when I still was employed there.

I will admit that the break areas and not the greatest quality of food but the park doesn't upcharge the break areas. They are revenue neutral. Also I will say this BGW is under no obligation to provide food at all but they do.

Reactions: Mushroom
Well, your friends missed the uproar at the start of the season 2 years ago when they were ordered at $4 at England. It to a town meeting to get them to drop the price.

Tell your friends to go into the England EBA. It's all refrigerated food from a vendor you have to microwave. Mmm cold burgers.

Go to Italy with an array of Subway or Chick-fil-a and other rotating fast foods. No freshly cooked food.

Go to Trapper's when every day it's the same "smoked chicken" as the only entree.

Only at Festhaus do they offer fresh cooked food. And a lot of employees can't get there in the time allotted

And, since it such a long time ago for you, a combo from 2 years ago. 1/4 chicken, 1 side, 1 dessert and a drink for $6. That was before Trapper's cut their menu. People making less than $10hr can't afford that. So they junk food and go back out to face the public in a less than happy state

But it makes no difference. Employees should be given a quality meal. But this has nothing to do with the changes in Orlando. Unless Guys left because the meals were crap.

No it doesn't and you're still incorrect @GrandpaD. They serve food from Marco Polo in addition to Subway and Chick-fil-A in Italy. So they also serve fresh food.

Also I mentioned the break area in England that you are talking about. It is one of the two locations that an outside vendor provides the product and it's still cheaper than going to somewhere like 7-11.

And like I explained to you if you read my whole explanation, I was there a few years ago when you are claiming it was $4 for a chick-fil-a sandwich. It might have been in England due to a vendor pricing but it wasn't in the other break areas. $4 is still cheaper than you could get one at Chick-fil-A. Also I didn't get this information from my friends. I simply confirmed The way I experienced last season is the same they are currently operated.

I was frequently involved in pricing products. I promise you that I know more about the pricing and the products in the break areas than you think you do. You couldn't get a 1/4 chicken, side, dessert and drink for $6 at a fast food restaurant but yet you expect BGW to be able to provide that for cheaper than they do? If you want higher quality food then it costs more money.

But yes you are right this has nothing to do with Gus leaving. If you want to continue talking then you can pm and I would be happy to give you any specifics you want.

Sounds like the Chairman of the Board just wants a 'Yes Man' as a CEO.

Dear Mr. Chairman,
You can pay me $1mil a year in cash and $1mil a year in Chic-Fil-A to say yes.
Sincerely,
Greg

It doesn't really sound like he wants a yes man but more that he wants to have the final say and have all decisions run through him

Last edited:
Reactions: BGWnut and Peter R.
I like it. Personally I think they should go find John Reilly and ask him to come back and be the CEO. He was great as interim CEO and I think he should have been who they named CEO instead of Gus all along.

Last edited:
Sorry, but anytime I see him referred to as Gus, all I can think of is...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back to the discussion at hand...

@BGWnut I completely agree with you. Sadly, I don't see it happening. I have an uncanny feeling that Reilly didn't get the job, because he put up a tougher fight against Scott Ross regarding some of the decisions. In turn, feel like that is why he didn't get the job.

@BGWnut I completely agree with you. Sadly, I don't see it happening. I have an uncanny feeling that Reilly didn't get the job, because he put up a tougher fight against Scott Ross regarding some of the decisions. In turn, feel like that is why he didn't get the job.
I don't know that it was that he was fighting Scott. At the time Scott was just a board member. H he didn't become chairman until this past summer. My sense was that they really wanted a outside hire because they wanted to make changes and they felt John would fight them too much.

Reactions: musicman3204
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad