Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Amazing picture! Where the hell is the bridge though?

Pretty sure the flume reservoir was never connected to the Rhine River. The water color was tinted dark blue for the flume water and was contained and recycled for the ride. When Alpingeist was built the size was reduced. During coaster construction there were 7 cranes down under the bridge at one time working on different aspects of the ride. After construction to reservoir was rebuilt to what you have today. The reservoir was cleaned on a halfway regular basis during the season particularly after a big storm due to debris from the top end being washed in, it was refilled with well water.

Reactions: lightninlady
It looks like it was 2002 when the river was filled in under Alpie.

Attachments

• D1249439-DC27-4541-B468-EAD3C577A846.png
    D1249439-DC27-4541-B468-EAD3C577A846.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 17
Seeing the picture of the log flume reminds me of the old debate here about whether the log flume had a rise after the drop in the middle of the ride, as otherwise, the support structure would just be incredibly odd.

No debate. The element existed. They just strighten out the dip. I'd have to look up the date of removal. I added arrows to show what was done. Red shows existing supports and green shows added. I used an Invadr shot as an after for less trees. Before.jpg After.jpg

Last edited:
Was there ever a consensus about why it was removed?

Was there ever a consensus about why it was removed?

They were notoriously difficult to maintain and were removed from nearly all the log flumes that featured them for that reason. Now that Log Jammer has been removed from Kennywood, the element is sadly extinct.

Having experienced Log Jammer's, I can testify to how cool these old Arrow Log Flume spillways were—not really anything else out there like it now. Closest you can get is probably something like Splash Mountain's rise after one of its interior drops—but even that feels like apples and oranges since on Splash Mountain you're on a track of sorts instead of a watery flume and you're restrained to the ride vehicle with a lapbar.

They were notoriously difficult to maintain and were removed from nearly all the log flumes that featured them for that reason. Now that Log Jammer has been removed from Kennywood, the element is sadly extinct.

Having experienced Log Jammer's, I can testify to how cool these old Arrow Log Flume spillways were—not really anything else out there like it now. Closest you can get is probably something like Splash Mountain's rise after one of its interior drops—but even that feels like apples and oranges since on Splash Mountain you're on a track of sorts instead of a watery flume and you're restrained to the ride vehicle with a lapbar.

What about the log flume at universal orlando? That one has a large rise after the drop.

What about the log flume at universal orlando? That one has a large rise after the drop.

Ripsaw Falls feels a lot different honestly—those are legit airtime hills and you’re very restrained to the vehicle. The amount of negative Gs from those hills greatly surpasses the amount provided by Splash Mountain’s upward portion or my experience on Kennywood’s spillway.

Reactions: Ziva and warfelg
Ripsaw Falls feels a lot different honestly—those are legit airtime hills and you’re very restrained to the vehicle. The amount of negative Gs from those hills greatly surpasses the amount provided by Splash Mountain’s upward portion or my experience on Kennywood’s spillway.
Kennywoods flume was honestly some of the most nerve wrecking moments I’ve ever had on a ride.

Reactions: Zachary
Family Kingdom's log flume also has a coaster-style drop (1:06 in the video below). But like Zachary said about Splash Mountain, it's more of a coaster-style drop with track. I feel like someone said here that the old Le Scoot drop stayed like a flume drop, with the trough saying the same and the water flowing down and up the drop. Is that right?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep, that’s really similar to Splash Mountain’s setup it looks like.

The old spillways literally had a continuous flow of water falling down the flume drop with enough force behind the flow to continue up the incline at the other side. You can sorta see it in this Log Jammer POV around the 1:15 mark.

And here around 0:50...

This video has some off-ride shots too to give you a better sense of scale...

Last edited:
No debate. The element existed. They just strighten out the dip. I'd have to look up the date of removal. I added arrows to show what was done. Red shows existing supports and green shows added. I used an Invadr shot as an after for less trees.View attachment 22253View attachment 22252

Im sure it's been said some were in this thread, but dose anyone know when that drop was removed?

Reactions: belsaas
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad