Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Let me rephrase that: what if another amusement park built a flying launch coaster from Vekoma with a larger scale track layout? Plus throwing in thematic elements for the station, queue line, and at some points during the layout. Would Kings Dominion be able to afford something along those lines?

Also, as much as the coaster itself may not be the most exciting ride (with the theming making up for that), Phantasialand had a small footprint and height restrictions to work with. That makes me wonder what a Vekoma FLC could do in a larger space. Would it offer a thrilling experience for everyone, or would it be too intense for the general public? Not saying Volcano's old stomping grounds are the largest (but still big) plot in the world, but Kings Dominion doesn't have to literally be the next park to install one of these.
I’m all for this, with some incredible theming added it’d be amazing

I wouldn’t complain about a F.L.Y. style coaster replacing Volcano for one second, but personally I really want a flying coaster to be reserved for an eventual Anaconda replacement. I just think soaring face-down over the (hopefully cleaned-up) lake sounds amazing.

When I had a chance to ride Manta a few times in an evening, I found that the only thing worth reriding for was the pretzel loop. The rest was... Ok. But it'd be really expensive for KD to add considering B&Ms aren't cheap and they'd have to do a lot of landscaping for the ride to be all that interesting.

The pretzel loop on the one at SFGAdv was my least favorite part, because what I compared it to was the vertical loop on Batwing, and I enjoy Batwing's loop so much more. It's no contest. Doing a full loop from bottom to top back to the bottom is a blast. The pretzel loop to me, even though it covers the same distance, still feels like it ends at exactly the wrong time. Overall Batwing is way better than the one B&M flyer I've ridden. Though, i will say that the loading procedure and roll out of the station is certainly much better on the B&M.

Reactions: halfabee
Loops on flying coasters are awful torture and break any illusion of actual flying. In a sense they can still be the best part of the ride because the whole thing's ruined. Fortunately on F.L.Y., Vekoma showed the wisdom to avoid any kind of on-your-back experience. I hear it still has enough positive G's to limit reridability, but they had to go for a curvy layout to fit it there. Ideally the layout would be more a curvy out and back for more short 10-45 degree curves and airtime and maybe inversions. I'd still have to ride FLY to say if it's actually any good and if inversions can work on a flyer, but at least it appears to do them properly rather than rolling you around in your restraints. Avoiding the entire flying coaster fad was one of the best moves I've seen Cedar Fair make.

The genre does have great potential, the swoop over the water on Batwing and the one pop of air on S:UF are brilliant and some of the best moments on any coaster, but everything else about those rides are horrible.

Something I’ve always wanted to see is a B&M hyper coaster with winged trains. Essentially, it would be something with the layout of a traditional B&M hyper, but with winged trains and open restraints similar to the ones found on their family inverted coasters. I think it would be different enough from Apollo to avoid being redundant.

So Mack CAN make good launches… hmm I wouldn’t mind a Mack being the replacement of volcano if it was like this minus the top hat. The real question is can the spinning trains go that fast?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

3AB9EC65-E076-43C0-B6D9-738A262206D0.png

Reactions: EdK and Crunchewy
I hope this trend of self-leveling videos, or whatever it's called, on coasters comes to an end soon. I find they make it hard to tell what exactly the ride is doing. Make it stop.
Someone called for that on Coasterforce's POV of Matterhorn Bobsleds and they replied: "If you remove stabilization on a ride like Matterhorn, it would be virtually unwatchable. We prefer smoothness over a jarring video." I don't think that was a horizon leveled video, but the camera was shifting in a similar way so that it didn't directly follow the vehicle's motions. They even do it on smooth coasters, which I don't get.

So Mack CAN make good launches… hmm I wouldn’t mind a Mack being the replacement of volcano if it was like this minus the top hat. The real question is can the spinning trains go that fast?

View attachment 27954

I think a clone of Beyond the Cloud would be super cool, and I thought a Mack Extreme spinner would be cool too, the only problem is that they'd have two spinning coasters next to each other, and the GP would confuse them. This is the same reason why I wasn't so fond of the B&M wing coaster because Tumbili looks like a wing coaster and the GP would confuse them.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Nicole
Someone called for that on Coasterforce's POV of Matterhorn Bobsleds and they replied: "If you remove stabilization on a ride like Matterhorn, it would be virtually unwatchable. We prefer smoothness over a jarring video." I don't think that was a horizon leveled video, but the camera was shifting in a similar way so that it didn't directly follow the vehicle's motions. They even do it on smooth coasters, which I don't get.
why-not-both-animated-gif-7-3061574854.gif

Reactions: halfabee and bill s
I think a clone of Beyond the Cloud would be super cool, and I thought a Mack Extreme spinner would be cool too, the only problem is that they'd have two spinning coasters next to each other, and the GP would confuse them. This is the same reason why I wasn't so fond of the B&M wing coaster because Tumbili looks like a wing coaster and the GP would confuse them.
Enthusiasts really underestimate the general population.

Based on my interactions with people on Instagram most people think all of the dive coasters are the same. I could see people making comments like "they should have put those flipping seats on the wing coaster!' but that would be about it.

Eh. I would still give them more credit than that. There’s a lot of people posting on those sites that do stuff like that purely for the reactions and attention.

Reactions: Nicole
Within the past few weeks I was wondering: what if Kings Dominion could build a Gerstlauer launched invert in Volcano's old spot? Using the same ride system as Storm - The Dragon Legend going up at Tusenfryd but with a full circuit multi-launch layout, including multiple blocks and trains. I know that Storm is Gerstlauer's first inverted thrill coaster, and Cedar Fair strays away from prototypes, but there is a decent relationship between the two companies and I wouldn't be surprised if Gerstlauer was the one to do the work on whatever's coming. I also heard that many Gerstlauers have gotten rough over time, but I don't know what the deal is with that. Hopefully Storm continues to be nice and smooth after it opens.

Within the past few weeks I was wondering: what if Kings Dominion could build a Gerstlauer launched invert in Volcano's old spot? Using the same ride system as Storm - The Dragon Legend going up at Tusenfryd but with a full circuit multi-launch layout, including multiple blocks and trains. I know that Storm is Gerstlauer's first inverted thrill coaster, and Cedar Fair strays away from prototypes, but there is a decent relationship between the two companies and I wouldn't be surprised if Gerstlauer was the one to do the work on whatever's coming. I also heard that many Gerstlauers have gotten rough over time, but I don't know what the deal is with that. Hopefully Storm continues to be nice and smooth after it opens.
I honestly think they’re gonna go with a axis that has some sort of launch with a ton of theming
They know it needs to be good to follow up that sort of a legend, so they’re gonna pull out all the stops I think

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad