2015 Howl-O-Scream

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Sep 30, 2015
netdvn said:
Many parks over estimate wait times. Its nothing new.

Would you rather be told the wait is 90 mins only to wait 60 becauseI wouldn't mind that. It would make the wait seem much faster that way.

- At least that's how I see things.
But on the other side of it, I would probably skip a 90 minute wait time and move on to other rides with a shorter wait and circle back around to it at a lesser time wait. That said, we have about 40 minutes posted for Griffon, but rode it twice in that time span. Got back in line just because it was such a quick line.

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
I do not think it is news that many, if not most or all parks overestimate time.  The problem identified, I think is not if or even should.  No indeed, the issue at hand, in my opinion is one of innovation.  There is no question that prediction of this kind is not an easy or simple process.  Developing predictive algorithms never is, however that is not to say they should not try to be more precise.  It is very easy to say, "it is hard we can't do it so we will guess."  Accuracy for this issue is highly desirable, the level of precision is certainly open for debate.

Now having said all that, I will put my business hat back on and say, "is there a fiduciary benefit for effort expended?"  I do not see a direct one, people, in general, will stand in line regardless.  I am sure there is a point where the wait no longer justifies the annoyance and I am equally sure it is not as easy as "how long is the line?"  If for no other reason it will be dependent on the person's personal patience and desire to ride the attraction.  I expect there are other external variables, how long are other lines for other attractions, how much time does a person have, and if they have been on the attraction before.  (just to name a few)

I expect a solution for predictive accuracy is only a statistical model away, but is it worth it to park(s)?  I don't have this answer.

In short we should never say, "everyone else is doing it and it is better then (y)."  No we should ask, what is the real cost, is the cost worth the effort, and what would be the gain?

Sep 30, 2015
But they created the app with which to check wait times. They also supply the giant manually adjustable clocks outside the rides queue lines. If you are going through all the trouble to do this, why do it at all if you're going to do it half-assed? I realize no system is perfect and down to the minute accurate, and I don't expect it to be. I do like the apps that allow the users to post the wait times manually for rides. They seem to be more accurate than most park apps.

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
strycker said:
...If you are going through all the trouble to do this, why do it at all if you're going to do it half-assed?..  
Welcome to BGW!

That was more or less what I was saying. It is way to easy to say "everyone else is doing it that way, and the right way is hard..."

I wish I could say that they are betting on the purely psychological effects of the signs and the app not the actual. However, I think that is giving a park, who is not terribly good at data gathering, too much credit.

Reactions: strycker

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
The line will move at different rates of speed at different times of the day. Disabled groups, people getting sick, people passing stuff off to the side, whether or not the employees ate 30 mins ago and got the itis, etc all affect line speeds so the wait time clocks are never gonna be completely accurate.

Lines can also fluctuate throughout the day as well. A 20 min line one minute could swell to a 40 min wait pretty quickly. Especially on a busy day. With a good crew, that 40 min wait could easily be a 20 min wait and vice versa.

Sep 30, 2015
MAZ said:
Well, to be honest, I'd much rather the sign say an hour fifteen and the wait be 30 minutes. The opposite would have me boiling over.
Kind of like Alpengeist saying 60 and it was about 90+ .. they only had 2 trains running and were waiting for one to get back before sending the other out of the station. Seemed strange. Line took forever.

Reactions: MAZ

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
For the record, running two trains on Alpengeist (or any other coaster) during Howl-O-Scream is unacceptable and there really should be more outrage over it. Ops cuts like that are not OK.

Not three years ago it was incredibly rare to see any of the B&Ms running less than three trains- even on the lightest of days.

Sep 30, 2015
Zachary said:
For the record, running two trains on Alpengeist (or any other coaster) during Howl-O-Scream is unacceptable and there really should be more outrage over it. Ops cuts like that are not OK.

Not three years ago it was incredibly rare to see any of the B&Ms running less than three trains- even on the lightest of days.
It may have been extenuating circumstances. I swear they were running 3 trains that morning as there were always 2 at the station. Not waiting around. One loading, one ready to unload and one on track. Not sure if there was a problem or not. This was Saturday at 4:00 PM. It was the same with Verbolten. They were running 3 trains with one queue line loading for a while Friday and the queue was full to the entrance. Saturday, all 5 trains were running with double loading.

Feb 9, 2013
Zachary said:
LNM has been running only 2 trains, the third train isn't even on the transfer track, it must be down in the maintenance bay. If any coaster should be running two trains, it's Griffon. Not sure what AC has been operating with since HOS started.

Sep 30, 2015
Matthew said:
Zachary said:
LNM has been running only 2 trains, the third train isn't even on the transfer track, it must be down in the maintenance bay. If any coaster should be running two trains, it's Griffon. Not sure what AC has been operating with since HOS started.
LNM definitely had 3 trains running a couple weeks back. Apollo's Chariot had a min of 3 running as well. This was both Friday and Saturday we were there (16th-17th)

Wings

A Bygone Era of Terror
Sep 28, 2009
East Lansing, Michigan
If Fiends is actually leaving after this year, that could mean good things for Ireland next year.

We could see a new Terror-tory in Ireland instead of the 80s Rock music that's been playing for years, a new maze since it just wouldn't make since to keep Unearthed, and a new show.

Sep 29, 2009
If they get rid of Unearthed, they might as well discontinue the use of that venue. Maybe they could save it for use during Christmas Town. That space is just way to restrictive to handle a house any better than what we have already seen.

Nicole said:
Zachary and I were brainstorming done ideas for other ways to theme Killarny during HOS.  I plan to post a concept soon.
Does it involve barricading the entire Abbeystone Theatre? (Just kidding.;))

Login or Register to Hide This Ad