Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Definitely glad my kids ended up having other plans tonight. Can't say I'm surprised to hear about the behavior at the park though. I don't know what the root of the problem is, or how to address it, but it is absolutely something I take into consideration when deciding if I'm going to Haun or letting my kids go.

Can't wait to see some reviews of Condemned.

I have zero interest in doing Haunt again this year. Actors are great, but ops and security are absolutely nowhere close to where they need to be. Food restaurants were all absolutely gross.

Reactions: Zachary and Thomas
I left at 8:45 without finishing all of the mazes. My Fright Lane was stolen from my hand as I walked through the exit of Blood
On The Bayou. Group of 6 took off running with my Fright Lane that I paid money for. I did an entire 3 houses with the Fright Lane - I told security who was then called for backup regarding a conflict. Security took off running where I then became part of the 4th nightly episode of Kings Dominions very own running of the bulls.

That's right... Atleast 75 people came sprinting in my direction. In an attempt to get out of the way I got on top of a brick seating area in Candy Apple Grove and immediately grabbed for my phone.
"LETS SEE THE VIDEO!"
Haha.. You see, I'm currently typing this with a sprained left ankle. I did not have this sprained ankle prior to my Fright Lane being stolen. These bulls jumped across the grass area RIGHT WHERE I WAS and tackled me down with them. Was stepped on twice.....

What the fuck Kings Dominion. Cleaver Brothers should have been gutted of actors after the first 15 minutes. I did not see a single cop in the entire park once I entered. YOUR PARK HAS NOT BEEN OPEN FOR 2 WEEKS. THIS IS THE FIRST NIGHT OF HAUNT ON A BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY. Can't even use the excuse you weren't expecting crowds, y'all should have learned this lesson opening year last season.

The event was really performing damn brilliantly. Tollway Terror, yes *Tollway Terror!* was one of the best mazes(?) of the night! Lockdown was fantastic. And it was all shadowed off in the single shitiest amusement park experiance I hope to ever go through.

I'll post about the mazes in the next day or two without trying to show any bias. The houses (that I did of course) and scare zones were the best I've ever seen at KD!

Shame my night had to be ruined, but I digress. I hope everybody else is okay!

EDIT: I kid you not I typed up my previous message waiting to ride Windseeker. Everything just turned to shit directly after. Do I blame Windseeker? Did the Bayou people not welcome my presence? Do I blame myself for even going?

I wish I could say I am surprised that you were trampled and mugged, but it was seriously dangerous here tonight. Are you ok? Did the park give you a replacement Fright Lane for a future date? Refund your money? Anything?

I can't even decide what I think about the event. The houses and scare zones were fantastic. In the other hand the crowds were heavy and out of control. I felt unsafe, but really enjoyed the attractions.

Presumably things will settle down some by next Sunday... right?? Since I have decided to not go to HoS I was looking forward to Haunt.

@Nicole I'm okay, just a sprained ankle and some small scratches here and there.

Both first aid and guest services had a sizable wait. I was unwilling to wait in a line after walking to the front of the park with a leg injury. The Upgrade Your Day station was open without a wait. I requested for a wheelchair so I was able to get back to my vehicle, though I was quickly declined because they were sold out. I explained the circumstances where she then called for somebody to double check. Since they sell Fright Lane I figured I'd ask about my options. My only option? To be given a new Fright Lane with the remaining 4 mazes I didn't do, but it would have to be used to same day. Shortly after, "The last" wheelchair was brought up. I was asked to bring it back when I was done with it.

They were kind enough to see if a rep from guest services was able to assist me. I should be contacted tomorrow by all of the necessary people to resolve my problems and was offered six, one use Fast Lane cards. The rep offered first aid, and while I certainly appreciated it, I didn't want to be in the park any longer. I made it to my local Patient First where they got me all fixed up. I will be complaining about the lack of on-site police and security (Admittedly, the security that was there was doing the best they can considering the overwhelming circumstances). As bad as things were, I'm thankful things weren't any worse than they got. I could have been ran over by 10 people as opposed to the 2, and I could have had my personal bag stolen as opposed to a Fright Lane pass. I didn't think crowds could have gotten any worse than haunts opening of last season, but boy was I wrong. I've definitely learned my lesson.....

Oh, and that wheelchair most definitely got put back when I was done with it

Let us know if/how the park addresses your issues.

I’m glad you are essentially ok. I do think, however, KD could have done more for you today.

I personally had no issues last night or saw anything all that bad. I would however suggest to take that post and send it to Kings Dominion /Cedar Fair directly or at least add your comments onto their Facebook/media pages.

Nothing will change unless the right people hear this and take action..

Last edited:
We 'almost' went last night. I am feeling VERY good about my decision not to after reading about this. I just spent the last few minutes imagining myself in your position Rolly. It's certainly not something I would ever wish on anybody. I truly hope that you come out on top of this situation. If they were selling twenty dollar tickets through sept 30th, I'll not be visiting until after that expires. Plain and simple.

My wife and I went last night and thankfully did not see any of the idiots referenced above. But we really only went on a Saturday since it was opening night; we normally go on Fridays where the crowds are much lower and avoid Saturdays when possible.

We got there are few minutes before 5pm and got some food, then went to the top of Eiffel Tower right at 6pm and I looked at the parking lot and the main lot was probably 3/4 full and the back lots only had a handful of cars, so I remarked that "wow there's really not as many people as I expected" and my wife said well it's still early - she was right as the place got really busy after 7pm.

After we left Eiffel Tower at 6pm we got in line for "No Vacancy - Condemned" at 6:05pm and while the line was long it moved quicker than expected and we walked in the door about 6:25pm. Probably 80% of the decor was the same as for last year's No Vacancy, but they handed small dim flashlights to each person on the way in, and then the inside was almost totally dark. I liked this setting better than last year's, and we went back there around 11pm (line was very long about 9pm).

We were there at 7pm for the Overlord's Resurrection show and then The Coven right after that, I recorded and posted to youtube (apologize for the crappy quality) with links below. The opening tune for Overlord that had been in place for the past several years was changed, and it was held on the bandstand stage again, unlike last year's stage in front of the Eiffel Tower.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's a quick rundown, as we made it through everything except Tollway Terror (line was really long each time we walked past).

Cornstalkers - we used to love this one but while there are still plenty of actors in there, I didn't notice any that stood still as part of a wall and blended in well and scared someone as they walked by. That was always our favorite part but we didn't see it last night, oh well.

Blood on the Bayou - IMHO it's not as good as last year and there seemed to be less actors in there and more gross body part props hung in the walkways, as if someone said hey let's go get more of the stuff from Slaughterhouse and add it to Bayou. It was also a bit warm in there, much like it was when it was Club Blood.

Zombie High - was awful last night, maybe 5 actors in there and for good reason since it was hot as a sauna in that building, just like it was when it was Toxic Plague. They really need to cut a hole somewhere in the back corner of the building and run in a hose from a portable AC unit or something, as it may be OK when it's in the 40s outside but when it's in the 70s then forget it.

Trick or Treat - our vote for best of the night, as the decorations were still great and the actors were great too, and as a bonus there was a family in front of us with a boy about 8 years old who was totally freaking out scared so we got to watch that too.

Lockdown - decorations are much better than a couple years ago when it seemed like it was just a bunch of plywood painted black and some chain link fence. Actors in here were good too.

Blackout - I don't really care for this one but my wife likes it so we walked through. 90% of it really wasn't blacked out and it was easy to see where you were walking, but the 10% that really was blacked out was definitely impossible to know which way to walk. Didn't seem like many actors in there when we walked through.

No Vacancy Condemned - already mentioned above, we liked it better than previous years, but I wonder how many people will walk off with those little flashlights or how many will have the batteries go dead in the middle of an evening...

Tollway Terror - did not make it there last night, will check it out on a Friday.

Scare Zones seemed much like last year, except for the addition of The Yard which probably had a dozen actors roaming around and they did a good job. There is a guard tower in the middle of the area with a mannequin and spotlight and I thought it would be a much better effect if that could have been a real person shining a real searchlight on people but maybe the platform is not built for that or maybe it would be too troublesome with guests, who knows. There's also a guard mannequin on the back part of that tower that looks a bit like Rob Schneider from the Adam Sandler movies, so see if you agree when you walk through the area.

So that was it, the crowds were heavy between 7-10pm then started to thin out and as usual were much better after 11pm.

Last edited:
Reactions: bill s
Very sad to hear that the high quality of the event has been overshadowed by the rowdy crowds. It really is a shame. I didn’t experience any of this last night but I’d be lying if I said I was surprised with how the event’s popularity has skyrocketed recently.

What did y’all think of the rest of the scare zones? I saw the tweets for everything else but I noticed Cleaver Bros, The Lair, IronWorX, and Necropolis were not reviewed. I also noticed Cornstalkers was the only maze without a review. Very happy to see The Yard getting some love nonetheless; a very strong first night for the first new scare zone the park has had in a while.

Hoping the event keeps performing like this, but I’m also hoping the rowdiness becomes monster-exclusive from now on.

Reactions: Mushroom and Nicole
All of the scarezones were very, very strong. Quite possibly the best I've ever seen... anywhere (HHN and BGT included!). Shocking number of scares with active casts and interesting, well communicated themes.

Cornstalkers didn't get a Tweet because we forget to post about it. Unfortunately, it was one of the night's worst houses for us. The actors who were there did a great job, but the cast felt a lot smaller than it should have been (very similar to Zombie High).

Nicole is drafting a lengthy review of our Haunt experience last night. I'm sure she'll have more to say on both of these topics.

Setting aside last night’s violence and filth, I want to talk about our experiences in the houses, themselves, because they were fantastic.

I’m not able to review the scare zones, because the paths were too crowded and dangerous to experience some of them. I will say that the Yard is amazing. It was fully-staffed, and the actors were brilliant. It felt like an extension of Lockdown. Honestly, KD essentially created a two-part indoor/outdoor house. All of the other scare zones were well staffed by really engaged actors. I believe that without the appalling guests, the paths would have been the best I have ever experienced.

On to the houses, themselves, here are my thoughts from best to worst:

1. Blood on the Bayou. The design of this house was much more sophisticated any other maze in Virginia in 2017. This year, however, they figured out how to use the creative sets to achieve some of the best scares in the park. I was anxious all of the way through, and more remarkably, the tension lasted well after I had escaped the building. This house, in my opinion, could compete with anything I have experienced in Florida.

2. Lockdown. I always think of this as the Little Maze That Could. The received wisdom when it opened was that is was a lazy re-theme of a mediocre house (for what it is worth, I never disliked Outbreak either). I was a huge advocate of Lockdown last year, believing it produced great scares in a chaotic environment. This year, possibly because of the addition of the Yard, it was even better for me. After navigating angry, injured guards, looking for someone to bully, you enter the prison where all hell has broken loose. The high energy never abates, and the actors both inside and out are completely on top of their games. The park makes great use of sound to amplify the feeling of chaos, as well I left the area feeling amped up and disturbed.

3. Blackout. I know it seems odd that I have rated this house so high on my list. It is a controversial choice, and @Zachary certainly disagrees. For me, however, this maze was incredibly fun and delivered several scares. Historically, the house has been either too dark or too light. Additionally, it has never seemed very well staffed. Last night, however, it was just light enough for me to navigate the maze, while still being dark enough to hide the actors, until they were directly in my face. I was startled several times, and emerged from the building incredibly happy.

4. Condemned. The flashlights were novel, but I’m not sure what they really added. I was so worried about not blinding the actors, that I mostly kept mine aimed at the ground. There was enough ambient light to see without them, so it just felt like a gimmick, designed to extend the life of an old, but well themed house. The new room at the end was a nice change. The house was understaffed, but the actors were good. I guess I just didn’t care much one way or another about the House Formerly Known as No Vacancy.

5. Zombie High. I really love this house. I love the energy, the theme, the essential coolness. Sadly, it was terribly understaffed last night. The actors, especially the always-popular principal, were great. There just were not enough of them. I fear that KD may soon cut the head off of this old favorite.

6. Trick or Treat. This house is simply lovely. The design is intricate and a marvelous museum to good theming. Unfortunately, it seems to be staffed with character actors, rather than scare actors. Several of the admittedly very interactive witches seemed to have more in common with Glinda than the Wicked Witch of the West. I do think this house is a great starter maze, however.

7. Cornstalkers. I know this house should be fantastic in theory. I have heard that some people have had amazing experiences in it. For me it simply has never worked. The maze is too bright, so I can see the dead ends and the “hidden” actors. The paths always seem to stack. The house is perennially understaffed. I was startled a few times, and some of the actors did attempt to creep me out. Generally, however, it felt more like an empty field than a carnivorous farm. KD does get kudos for using corn in their corn maze, however.

I have chosen not to include Tollway Terror in my rankings, but rather to evaluate it separately. I never know how to classify this attraction. Is it really a maze? It feels more like a scare zone. Regardless, last night it was great. There were actors everywhere, and a few actually managed to startle me. I normally tell people that the payoff is not worth the wait. It still seems like a long line for just a few real scares. That said, if there is ever a year to do it, this may be the one. The environment has always been creepy, and at least for us, the maze, itself, finally seems fully and effectively staffed.

In writing this review I began to think more about the event as a whole. I think KD employs a wide variety of techniques and scares to tap in a full spectrum of fears. Every house “entertains” in a different way: they range from creepy to startling to gross to chaotic to anxiety-inducing, etc. I think KD also makes excellent use of music and sounds, which I have noted before I find incredibly effective in manipulating my mood. I really believe KD has evolved beyond a simple haunt and now offers varied and sophisticated houses and scare zones.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad