Both events have their issues but I'd say both are on equal footing with each other
I cannot fathom this take.
Kings Dominion just built what may be the most theatrical, most visually impressive house outside of HHN anywhere, ever to accompany their existing lineup of, at minimum, solid and largely-improved-for-2026 houses while BGW debuted two of their worst houses ever to accompany a lineup consisting of another of their worst houses ever, a bad clown house, and a passable vampire house... and the events are somehow on equal footing...?
I just could not possibly disagree more.
There are reasonable debates to be had around whether a top tier work of theme park, Halloween, walkthrough, immersive theater (which Diablo just, factually, is) is as scary (and hence, as desirable to some) as a more intense, tighter, more scares-and-tension-focused house like Dorney's Ghost in the Machine, but how anyone could believe that BGW's event this year is even anywhere in the same universe as the event that hosts Diablo boggles my mind.
Haunt's houses, on average, tonight were some of the strongest I've seen out of the event... possibly ever... in no small part due to the masterclass on immersive theatrical house design being put on by Plague Productions with Diablo. Regionally, everyone should be coming to KD just to see that one house. It's worth every dime in gas money, admission, house passes, etc. It's unlike anything I have ever seen outside of a Universal event. It's not the scariest house ever (though it has great scares), but it is the largest scale, most impressive, immersive walk-through-style work of theater I've ever seen out of a house in VA by an ABSOLUTELY ENORMOUS margin. We're on a whole different planet of sophistication vs standard regional park fare here.
Last edited: