Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Looking at the photo they posted of the fan turn, it looks like some of the trees there were spared; seems like most of the ones closest to the track were removed. Given that some of the trees were left standing, I wonder what the reasoning behind the decision was? Did they bring in a bunch of big equipment that necessitated the removal of the trees? Did they have to re-run the cable supports that penetrated into that little patch of forest, requiring them to remove the trees in the way? Did CF pull a Herschend and get skittish about big trees being too close to the track?

In any case, I hope they replant something where those trees were. I'm glad some of the trees there were left standing, though.
334426474_593820536121436_3567678924452659842_n.jpg

It’s not a full retract; however, most problem areas are being taken care of. The final return trip isn’t being touched, but that area wasn’t ever really an issue. Appears the “Shaky Turnaround” is getting some adjustments to its exit banking which is well appreciated.

The pre lift, brake runs, and both flat turnarounds also shouldn’t see a change at all. The entry into some drops isn’t being touched either.

I think my favorite part of this project is the redo of this transition. No more Arrow-style-banking, jarring exit... now it's a little heartlined! 😍
View attachment 28548

Awww, that was my favorite part of the ride. As a veteran Grizzly rider, I loved bracing myself for that turn with all my might to see if I could avoid being whipped by it. I also enjoyed sitting near the back of the train and watching all the unsuspecting riders get absolutely thrown to the other side. For the sake of the ride’s reputation (and the average rider’s spine) this is probably for the best, but I’ll miss the complete insanity of that transition.

I'm interested in hearing what this is like when it's finally done. IMO this was one of the worst modern woodies I ever rode and it needed something desperately. I hope this also comes with a big time train refurbishment too.

I'm interested in hearing what this is like when it's finally done. IMO this was one of the worst modern woodies I ever rode and it needed something desperately. I hope this also comes with a big time train refurbishment too.
Them's fightin' words. I loved Grizzly. Yes it got too rough in recent years, but it was still a lot of fun. My hope is they don't nerf it, but from the description it doesn't sound like they are, or at least not too much. We shall see.

I wouldn’t consider Grizzly a “modern woodie.” Notwithstanding the fact it’s 41 years old, its layout was closely based on Coney Island’s original Wildcat which opened in 1926.

Them's fightin' words. I loved Grizzly. Yes it got too rough in recent years, but it was still a lot of fun.
I know it is but I refused to ride it. I’m not the biggest guy but I barely fit in the seat and the roughness regularly caused excessive bruising and pain.

I wouldn’t consider Grizzly a “modern woodie.” Notwithstanding the fact it’s 41 years old, its layout was closely based on Coney Island’s original Wildcat which opened in 1926.
Generally the second golden age of woodies began in early-1970’s (generally ‘72), and Grizzly was built in ‘82. I think that makes it fair game to be called a “modern Woodie”.

Generally the second golden age of woodies began in early-1970’s (generally ‘72), and Grizzly was built in ‘82. I think that makes it fair game to be called a “modern Woodie”.

Its layout is literally straight out of the 1920s though. Here’s a picture of Coney Island’s Wildcat, showing that Grizzly is practically a straight up clone of a “first golden age” wooden coaster:
BCE05EC6-89F9-4644-BFE4-693BACA94FC4.jpeg

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad