Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
We tried to get cooled off last weekend by Griffin, with little luck. Mostly mist. We remember getting more wet there. :(

They should move the splash zone area closer to the splash. Sheikra has an AMAZING splash.

Hoopla said:
With hot summer days rolling their way down to Busch Gardens, where is the best spot to stand to get "soaked" by the water splash on Griffon? It really has a HORRIBLE splash, especially compared to Shiekra's.

I've gotten soaked standing right by the fence next to the pool but the size of splash depends on the train and water levels. Each train has a different funnel that produces a different water effect. One shoots up like a plume, another shoots more toward the rear and one shoots off to the sides. The latter is the one that really gets you wet as long as the water levels are high enough.

To help with the Griffon Splash Zone discussion, I stood in the zone after my dinner this evening. I watched the Griffon go by 8 times. For the most part, I only got a misting (see video #1). On two occasions, I got pretty wet (see videos #2 & 3). It wasn't like standing in the splash zone for Pompeii, but it is decent and feels wonderful on a hot day!! You had to be right up against the fence, though. That being said, I could swear that I have seen the splash zone get doused much better than this.
Also, as best I could tell there were only two trains running. The plumes looked the same to me. I guess there are a lot of variables that come into play (no wind today in case some were wondering). Can someone confirm what Hoopla said about the different funnels on different trains?

*Can you see the rainbow? Bonus!! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7hBA3RvU8&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMPDwg7RQQ&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYK1qU0RUQ&feature=player_detailpage

chickenking said:
Can someone confirm what Hoopla said about the different funnels on different trains?

The first time the different funnels were ever mentioned was during the February 2007 hardhat tour. It came straight from Larry Giles mouth. It wasn't mentioned in the press release in August of 2006. And when the coaster opened that Spring it was very noticeable that they were indeed different.

Were all the trains running today?

chickenking said:
I couldn't tell if it is one or two. But the water plumes looked similar to me.

If you get a chance to go again go over and check in the station and see if they have all three running.

My guess is that they may have *changed* the funnels on each train. Now I don't know for a fact that BGW did that but I do know that Sheikra's trains have removable funnels that they change throughout the year as they are weather adjusted (i.e. they use the ones that shoot backwards for colder days as they would have the least impact in the splash zone).

I'm only guessing that Griffon's trains have removable funnels as well.

Reactions: chickenking
chickenking said:
Can someone confirm what Hoopla said about the different funnels on different trains?

It is also stated in the roller coaster insider tour.

I believe the water levels in the pool may have something to do with it as well; but if I recall the funnels are bolt mounted to the frame of the train.

CK,

After watching all of your videos closely you can tell the water levels aren't high enough.

The funnels barely skim the top of the water. Whenever I got soaked in the splash area the funnels were literally scooping up buckets of water to shoot out.

^
I'm glad you mentioned the water levels. I was thinking about it yesterday when I took those videos. As a matter of fact, here are some pics of the water levels:

Attachments

• Griffon - funnels.JPG
    Griffon - funnels.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
  • Griffon - water level 1.JPG
    Griffon - water level 1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
  • Griffon - water level 2.JPG
    Griffon - water level 2.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
Yea im pretty sure it is the red "thing" if someone could confirm.
And also what is that thing covered up in the left top corner in the last pic. It looks like a light but why is it covered?

1, it is the water brake
2, It is a light, but with a translucent cover for illuminights... they have orange ones for HOS

Why don't they just move the splash zone forward more? the water just barely misses the platform, so if they moved it closer, it would be a better splash.

chickenking said:
^
I'm glad you mentioned the water levels. I was thinking about it yesterday when I took those videos. As a matter of fact, here are some pics of the water levels:

Also, are the "red things" under the outside seats in the last row the funnels?

The water levels should be a little higher than what your pics show.

And yes those red things are the funnels. B&M calls them "Hydrodynamic Brakes".

Some old construction photos.

Attachments

• Griffon1.jpg
    Griffon1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Griffon2.jpg
    Griffon2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Griffon3.JPG
    Griffon3.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 39
  • Griffon4.JPG