Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
Kings Dominion is a major theme park and it has a go-kart track. So I don't feel like this is so out of left field. I personally would be on the fence about the mini golf thing. (I like the idea, but I don't like the idea of losing more tree space for mini golf, since there's a lot of deforesting going on right now and not really a ton of replanting trees for them to reforest areas.) But I'm all for a golf shop, I think it'd do really well.

Y'know considering there's a major golf course literally right up the street. I think golf stuff would sell super well.

Reactions: Nicole

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
Kings Dominion is a major theme park and it has a go-kart track. So I don't feel like this is so out of left field. I personally would be on the fence about the mini golf thing. (I like the idea, but I don't like the idea of losing more tree space for mini golf, since there's a lot of deforesting going on right now and not really a ton of replanting trees for them to reforest areas.) But I'm all for a golf shop, I think it'd do really well.

I'm thinking like a 6 hole mini golf course would work perfect.

Y'know considering there's a major golf course literally right up the street. I think golf stuff would sell super well.

3 of the top 10 courses in Virginia are within 10 miles of BGW.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree. This isn't a "family fun center"; it's a major theme park.

If I recall, Cedar Point had a minigolf course somewhere on its land as an upcharge attraction and it was doing well.

But, it's unlikely the families taking a break from rides and playing a round of minigolf are going to be the same ones looking at actual golf gear.

I'd think the clothing and a few special small items would make sense. However would have to be careful with things like golf balls and tees since people could theoretically cause problems with those.

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
If I recall, Cedar Point had a minigolf course somewhere on its land as an upcharge attraction and it was doing well.

It was removed after 2016 and was not in good condition in the past few years of its life, a leftover of the old Extreme Attractions Park that Cedar Point had in the 1990s and early-mid 2000s.

But, it's unlikely the families taking a break from rides and playing a round of minigolf are going to be the same ones looking at actual golf gear.

I'd think the clothing and a few special small items would make sense. However would have to be careful with things like golf balls and tees since people could theoretically cause problems with those.

Latter part is my main concern with regards to golfballs and other trinkets. But I wouldn't mind park branded golf merch like polos, hats, bags, and flags, etc.

Feb 11, 2016
Also I think a simulator with pre-programmed “iconic” shots and a leaderboard for the day would be awesome. 18 at St Andrews, 7 at Pebble Beach, 17 at TPC Sawgrass, 18 at Carnustie.
The rights for St. andrews ,TPC Sawgrass and Carnoustie are extremely expensive

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
The rights for St. andrews ,TPC Sawgrass and Carnoustie are extremely expensive

I can actually tell you off the top of my head:
Trackman, a launch monitor software, costs $20,000 a unit, comes pre loaded with 15 courses. The package that includes St. Andrews, TPC Sawgrass, and Carnoustie is $1000 (along with 8 other courses). Pebble Beach as a stand alone is $225. Grand scheme of things for a place like BGW....that's not a lot.

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
https://www.standrews.com/shop/new-in

old-tom-morris-golf-shop-st-andrews-scotland-AC382P.jpg

Perfection

Reactions: tursiops and Nicole

GrandpaD

Curve Flattener.
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
Ya know, back in the days when August Busch was trying to sell lots and Kingmill memberships, I could have seen something like that. Obviously ol' AB saw something that persuaded him to leave the links out of the park.

But he did have the balls to tie into the AB Classic.

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
I saw him live, completely by accident in Bahrain. I was walking from my office to the schwarma stand and I saw MWR setting up the stage. I asked a sailor who was taking a smoke break what was going on and he said, (and I am pulling this from my way back memory) "some famous comedian and some other folks are coming for a USO thing." What stuck out at me was comidian and USO. Bob Hope wasn't alive anymore so I was intrigued. Anyway I came back with a buddy later, (no not a battle buddy) and sure nuff the worm up folks were going and one of them told a story about flying in a c-130 with Mr. Williams. Half an hour later he was telling off color jokes to the sailors. It felt like was watching "Good Morning Viet Nam"

• Love
Reactions: jornor and ..…

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
I will say first off, you don't need a PGA professional to do this. However it would give a status. But it's still the idea (hopefully @Nicole agrees) that this isn't really a technical 'golf shop'; but it's a merchandise shop that's BGW Merch, just happens to be more through a golf aspect than a golf shop with BGW Merch.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Exactly.

My thought process was that Scotland is known for golf, and that there are great merchandizing opportunities with a fully-themed "BGW pro shop." It also occurred to me that they could do cross marketing with local golf clubs and possibly work with tournaments.

Adding a golf pro sounds very cool, as well.

Jun 6, 2013
I like the small simulator and gift/pro shop idea. The simulator wouldn't be that different in concept than the soccer challenge. Just turn it in to a challenge for a prize. The shop would be popular i imagine. And for the people who say the crowds don't overlap I've seen many hats from PGA tournaments while at the park.

Reactions: Nicole
Login or Register to Hide This Ad