Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Fiends feels strong this year. Still not approaching 2012, but it is much better than the last couple seasons.

I will say that they have fallen into the trap, once again, of trying to push the limits of their audience just for shock value's sake. While I always find that disappointing, other new jokes were a refreshing change of pace (particularly the references to other shows in the park).

Also, the male cast this year is super impressive. The Doctor and Igor both play their roles brilliantly. Special shout out to the Vampire this year for taking the character in a fantastic new direction. He's really great. Lastly, OG Swampy is always best Swampy so 10/10 on that front.

Which celebrity are they mocking in the "brain" gag this year?

I still find it hilarious that the man they mocked in the brain gag last year has a good chance of becoming our next president.

In one of the later shows it read "Kardashian" and something I couldn't read fast enough. It seems like they are alternating some jokes, which is fun.

I think the "shocker" jokes that they always had are the most hit-or-miss.

Went to Fiends last night and it was possibly the worst performance that I have seen at the park. And I'm one of the people who actually LIKES theme park shows. All of the signing sounded like shrieking or terribly off key and the wolfman's mic was broken for 75% of the song.

Was so bad, halfway through it my boyfriend turned to me and said, "You are no longer allowed to pick shows to watch."

I agree with "Username". I saw two shows yesterday. I hoping the first one at 2 was just a fluke and that the sound issues were temporary, but the 7:30pm show was plagued with sound issues. Both shows also had the music louder than the vocals. The opening weekend shows were almost perfect, what has happened since then? I expect the shows to get better not worse. This was clearly a crew issue, not the cast.

Celticdog said:
I agree with "Username". I saw two shows yesterday. I hoping the first one at 2 was just a fluke and that the sound issues were temporary, but the 7:30pm show was plagued with sound issues. Both shows also had the music louder than the vocals. The opening weekend shows were almost perfect, what has happened since then? I expect the shows to get better not worse. This was clearly a crew issue, not the cast.
The 9 one was night was slightly better than what you guys are describing but only slightly. To points though to be made one is that I have heared that other areas of the park were short staffed as a result of people not being able to make it in because of storm related issues. I DON'T know that entertainment or the crew were short but it does seem entirely possible that they were so that might account for sone of the issues. Also this was one bad night and from everything we have heared so far they had good days so far and everyone has a bad one every now and then.

Zimmy said:
Strange since the vocals, at least on the lead are not live.
There not? I never knew tat. Do you have any more info on that?

Fiends has always had pre-recorded vocals in the numbers such as "Weird Science" and "Feed My Frankenstein" but only backup vocals (that means along with the live performers) in "Thriller", "Hungry Like The Wolf", "You Give Love a Bad Name", and "A Little Help From My Fiends".

"When You're Strange" is the only 100% live song because it's a duet. The reason the show gets away with it is because the show is deliberately modeled after some of the cheesiest Halloween shows ever made. So, there's a fair share of live vocals for a show of this nature. None of it is lip-synced when not explicitly meant to be that way (unlike Monster Stomp or Night Beats, both of which are still popular).

Fiends doesn't deliberately try to fool you like the other shows into thinking that everything is live. Even most Brodway shows today are guilty of that (probably 95%), except they have a bureau to regulate such tricks.

Last time I saw fiends, I recall the Dr. climbing a wall (or some such) and he was "singing" except it was painfully obvious that he wasn't because well...  his mouth was not moving. This was several seasons ago when someone forced me to go.

They did have one doctor that somewhat abused his lip-syncing privileges. That was when they first required performers to record themselves in case of a sick day. It's very possible that's what happened.

Unfortunately, the park has had a long list of doctors that aren't very good at singing their part. I wonder why it always seems to be that role. Maybe "Thriller" is not in the vocal range that they expect from the doctor's voice.

Very strong as usual. Just a few minor adjustments as always. Great addition to the swampy/igor duet of "people are strange". And an interesting choice monologue by Simplicity before "eye of the tiger". Looking forward to seeing it more as the cast gets comfortable.

This is the one show I missed. I’m a bit apprehensive about this monologue that I keep hearing about. The transition into that song has always been one of the most cringeworthy parts of the show prior to the finale, in my opinion.

Reactions: jornor and Zachary
CastleOSullivan said:
This is the one show I missed. I’m a bit apprehensive about this monologue that I keep hearing about. The transition into that song has always been one of the most cringeworthy parts of the show prior to the finale, in my opinion.

The monologue was fine. Just women’s empowerment. It was a little longer than the old transition but not excessively so. This year’s doctor was terrible. Easily the worst doctor I remember seeing. Simplicity’s chops were below average too. Igor was still the same guy, but all of the supporting monsters that come to the lab to give up their parts were a step up from most seasons. So the show was still pretty good.

Reactions: jornor
After seeing the show, I still thought the monologue was unnecessary. It felt too forced, in my opinion. The doctor was perhaps a bit weak character-wise, but he was the only one to my memory that was able to sing all of his solos instead of speaking them. In spite of the strong cast, I am ready to see something else. They are really grasping at straws now with their jokes and gimmicks.

As long as the nurses keep making the park some money on alcohol, they will be hesitant to retire it, just like BGT. It's the "Fiends curse".

Reactions: jornor and Mushroom
CastleOSullivan said:
After seeing the show, I still thought the monologue was unnecessary. It felt too forced, in my opinion. The doctor was perhaps a bit weak character-wise, but he was the only one to my memory that was able to sing all of his solos instead of speaking them. In spite of the strong cast, I am ready to see something else. They are really grasping at straws now with their jokes and gimmicks.

As long as the nurses keep making the park some money on alcohol, they will be hesitant to retire it, just like BGT. It's the "Fiends curse".

He wasn’t a strong singer either, but either way. I agree it’s time for something new. Even if just a rewrite

Reactions: jornor
Just got out of Fiends. Only one big change that I noticed. The werewolf is now a girl and the song and choreography is completely different. I didn't recognize the song, but it sounded good. Additionally, I thought the girl playing Nurse Simplicity was excellent. Other than that, I didn't notice any changes. Just new jokes and such.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad