Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
[...]
I guess technically we've been given no assurances on holiday, so maybe they're holding out to see if the state will throw them a bone on capacity as the county desires.

IHME is projecting a significant increase in cases through the rest of the year and shutdowns back on the scale of what we have seen in April, so I wouldn't count on the Governor throwing any bones any time soon.

IHME is projecting a significant increase in cases through the rest of the year and shutdowns back on the scale of what we have seen in April, so I wouldn't count on the Governor throwing any bones any time soon.
I don't expect this Governor to throw any bones but at a certain point his decision isn't about science. With all the contact tracing going on there hasn't been a single case traced to a theme park nationwide since reopening: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/09/...-report-no-covid-19-outbreaks-since-reopening

Edit: Now Florida is about to fully reopen.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As has been covered a number of times, contact tracing is really insufficient right now. Also, Florida is just about the worst state in the union to look to for COVID advice.

If school reopenings don't result in a July-style spike, maybe we can start to consider park capacity upgrades in the months ahead. Right now though, a lot of other gatherings are being (rightfully) prioritized above amusement parks.

As has been covered a number of times, contact tracing is really insufficient right now. Also, Florida is just about the worst state in the union to look to for COVID advice.

If school reopenings don't result in a July-style spike, maybe we can start to consider park capacity upgrades in the months ahead. Right now though, a lot of other gatherings are being (rightfully) prioritized above amusement parks.
I agree so if you think about it here. The average person attends said park. The average person probably will not show symptoms but some may. Those who do weeks later may or may not see a doctor. Those who do, may or may not be sent to a covid testing site. Results come back a week or so on average. This said average person may or may not be positive. What is the odds here that they report or even think about possibly contracting this at a park. Hell even if they just go to a restaurant or store or something. I’m willing to go on a limb and say a majority will not bother calling or alerting everywhere they had been .
Coming from someone who has seen and witnesssed a covid unit. The governor of Florida is psycho ...

I agree so if you think about it here. The average person attends said park. The average person probably will not show symptoms but some may. Those who do weeks later may or may not see a doctor. Those who do, may or may not be sent to a covid testing site. Results come back a week or so on average. This said average person may or may not be positive. What is the odds here that they report or even think about possibly contracting this at a park. Hell even if they just go to a restaurant or store or something. I’m willing to go on a limb and say a majority will not bother calling or alerting everywhere they had been .
Coming from someone who has seen and witnesssed a covid unit. The governor of Florida is psycho ...
People don't call or alert the places they have been. If you test positive all cases are reported to the local department of health. They follow up and get a list of everywhere you have been over a certain period of time. They will then compare that lists with others to try to identify a location where people were exposed. They will then contact other people and business to inform them that an individual(s) tested positive who had been there and on contact with people. At no point in this does the responsibility to report to the business the responsibility of the patient.

Also if you have any of the symptoms, doctors will have you take a test as a precaution and they have to notify the department of health by law. The real issue lies in the majority of people who contact it but are asymptomatic

People don't call or alert the places they have been. If you test positive all cases are reported to the local department of health. They follow up and get a list of everywhere you have been over a certain period of time. They will then compare that lists with others to try to identify a location where people were exposed. They will then contact other people and business to inform them that an individual(s) tested positive who had been there and on contact with people. At no point in this does the responsibility to report to the business the responsibility of the patient.

Also if you have any of the symptoms, doctors will have you take a test as a precaution and they have to notify the department of health by law. The real issue lies in the majority of people who contact it but are asymptomatic
I get that but still think a majority people will not be honest about all the places they have been or don’t remember. I’ve witnessed it myself in the field.

Reactions: Zachary
I get that but still think a majority people will not be honest about all the places they have been or don’t remember. I’ve witnessed it myself in the field.

I do think that in the instance that there was significant community spread coming out of a park, a lack of honest self-reporting might be overcome by people actively warning against visiting the park once we take the “Disney fans who wouldn’t want to damage a mega corporation’s reputation because it would ruin the magic” factor out of the equation. Which is to say that I think we’d know if the rate of community spread at a theme park was dramatically different than at retail stores.

But that just confirms what we already know: the virus is in the community, and there is no public activity that is entirely without risk, regardless of what the headlines want to say about the lack of cases tied to theme parks. And no matter how long a business is open without a confirmed case emerging from the location, that will never mean that a case could not emerge from there, and that’s going to keep a large-capacity industry like theme parks under close watch until next fall at the earliest.

I do think that in the instance that there was significant community spread coming out of a park, a lack of honest self-reporting might be overcome by people actively warning against visiting the park once we take the “Disney fans who wouldn’t want to damage a mega corporation’s reputation because it would ruin the magic” factor out of the equation. Which is to say that I think we’d know if the rate of community spread at a theme park was dramatically different than at retail stores.

But that just confirms what we already know: the virus is in the community, and there is no public activity that is entirely without risk, regardless of what the headlines want to say about the lack of cases tied to theme parks. And no matter how long a business is open without a confirmed case emerging from the location, that will never mean that a case could not emerge from there, and that’s going to keep a large-capacity industry like theme parks under close watch until next fall at the earliest.
I hope that next fall is not the case. I'm honestly thinking by spring we might be more back to normal.

I hope that next fall is not the case. I'm honestly thinking by spring we might be more back to normal.

I admire your optimism. I do think that we’ll have moved beyond limited events in March, but masks/distancing will still be in effect well into 2021.

Reactions: panopticon31

What’s your point here? That people have a responsibility and ignore it? I think you’re wrong because Amusement Parks are HUGE targets right now. Let’s be honest, to the point that they borderline are taboo to portions of the population. I think that if you get covid in a two week span after attending an amusement park, you’re first thought is going to be, “did I get it at that Amusement Park?”

If anything, these parks are under a tremendous microscope.

What’s your point here? That people have a responsibility and ignore it? I think you’re wrong because Amusement Parks are HUGE targets right now. Let’s be honest, to the point that they borderline are taboo to portions of the population. I think that if you get covid in a two week span after attending an amusement park, you’re first thought is going to be, “did I get it at that Amusement Park?”

I’d imagine most of us who have been to the parks and told people we’ve been to the parks have received some version of “I didn’t think they were even open” or a skeptical “Was it safe?” I’m not convinced that perspective is entirely fair, given the nature of this virus, but it’s pervasive and complicated the park’s ability to just throw caution to the wind without serious repercussions to their brand.

Reactions: r757chan

I just personally disagree when you can freely go into grocery stores (I know it’s essential) and see countless people without masks, people touching everything, and some blatant disregard for others.

Reactions: Le Moose
I just personally disagree when you can freely go into grocery stores (I know it’s essential) and see countless people without masks, people touching everything, and some blatant disregard for others.
I think you might be going to the wrong grocery stores.

I have not seen anyone in a store without a mask where I am shopping.

I see that North Carolina is going to their version of Phase 3 reopening on Friday, 10/2. Part of their Phase 3 plans include allowing outdoor amusement parks to open at 30% occupancy. Hopefully Virginia will do something similar so BGW can actually get more than 1,000 people during each timeslot this fall or holiday season....

I think you might be going to the wrong grocery stores.

I have not seen anyone in a store without a mask where I am shopping.
w
Oh believe me I see it EVERY single day if not every single hour despite our best efforts to enforce the rules. Even worse is the idea that some have that they can't speak with their mask on and pull them off to place orders or ask for help That happens with probably a good 30 to 40 percent of customers.

Kevin was on John Reid's Morning Show on WRVA today. Not much new info but he confirmed that the event numbers have been trending nicely. He said that over all their guest surveys have been coming back with positive remarks about the events. He also talked about how the park has received significant support from JCC and the area as a whole and said that hotel occupancy and reginal spending have both trended up since they started their limited opening,

Kevin was on John Reid's Morning Show on WRVA today. Not much new info but he confirmed that the event numbers have been trending nicely. He said that over all their guest surveys have been coming back with positive remarks about the events. He also talked about how the park has received significant support from JCC and the area as a whole and said that hotel occupancy and reginal spending have both trended up since they started their limited opening,

Reactions: horsesboy
Having made the truly cursed life decision of occasionally replying to people who tweet at the park thinking they’re actually going to get assistance from their clearly not paying attention social media team (I have regrets, and yet I don’t stop, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), I came across someone trying to get a refund for a pre-COVID membership they never used. We know that’s not going to happen, based on the “extending the length of the park closure, you signed a contract, blah blah blah” party line, but they then asked about preschool passes, which gets more complicated: technically, there is a collection of 5-year-olds belonging to member families who “missed out” on their last year of free admission due to COVID, who will be forced into a Fun Card or Membership for the 2021 season.

Nothing about SEAS attitude toward this situation suggests to me they would be so generous as to expand the age range for the preschool pass for the 2021 season, but I‘m curious what they would say if/when someone makes this argument.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Pre k passes should definitely be extended or other family passes be allowed to be refunded as those purchasing other memberships or fun cards very likely considered the free pre k pass in the buying decision.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad