Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I know the hotel industry and the airline industry will benefit from government assistance, I certainly hope that theme parks also can benefit.
I'd way rather see parks bailed out than the airline industry, that's for sure. But government bailouts for corporations and wealthy CEOs speaks badly when millions upon millions of workers among the middle class or lower are fucked over by this crisis.

OK so this may be inaccurate but I have some news. So they claim that S&PE is really pushing for a mid-late May opening. If this is so, what does that mean for the Food and Wine Festival? Beer Fest? Summer Nights? Will those events be pushed back too? Overlap? Canceled? That's if they even open during the time that they say..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VikingvadR
OK so this may be inaccurate but I have some news. So they claim that S&PE is really pushing for a mid-late May opening. If this is so, what does that mean for the Food and Wine Festival? Beer Fest? Summer Nights? Will those events be pushed back too? Overlap? Canceled? That's if they even open during the time that they say..

The first day of previously scheduled daily operations (May 15th, May 16th for WCUSA) is my current guestimate.

If that's the ballpark we're talking about now, I'd be very concerned about the the state of Food & Wine and Summer Nights. Food & Wine requires a lot of training, setup, and, most importantly, extra staffing. I could see the event being scaled down and/or shortened.

Most aspects of Summer Nights are probably safe, but Summer Nights Live seems really questionable to me since it requires acts to travel nationally or even internationally to BGW to participate. Plus, it's not impossible that there could still be seating restrictions and whatnot suggested by the CDC for theaters and the like by that point. Operating any theaters in the park this summer could be a no-go. Those aspects, combined with just the shear cost of those acts, makes me wonder whether or not we'll see Summer Nights Live acts at all.

I think a Mid-May reopening would give plenty of time for the park to work through Bier Fest, HOS, and CMT plans, staffing, setup, etc so really the impacts on those events would just be budgetary I'd think—but that could be significant as well.

Another thing to consider: King's Dominion is talking about adding previously unplanned days to their calendar later in season—maybe increasing Haunt's/WinterFest's run to attempt to make up some lost attendance and revenue from this Spring. I wouldn't rule out BGW doing something similar. Don't be totally surprised if BGW just doesn't close between HOS and CMT this year.

Don't be totally surprised if BGW just doesn't close between HOS and CMT this year.

I think this would be a good decision both as a courtesy to guests and passholders, and as a business decision to make up for lost revenue. However, BGW and KD both already struggle with the tight turnaround between Halloween and Christmas. I think if something like this does happen, we should reduce our expectations for decorations at both events.

I do not wear pants every day.
giphy.gif

I have reliable been told that the company that runs the pet shows are pulling all off their animals from the parks and moving them to a central location to be looked after to cut down on having to staff at each park. That doesn't sound like it bodes well for the park or at least shows to be opening soon. I wonder if we are looking at even later then May.

Those that bought into the beer glass/stein programs are now going to have a shorter season to break even. This may mean you'll have to drink twice as much on each visit. Slainte` , Cheers, Bottoms Up, Zicky Zocky Zicky Zocky Oy Oy Oy
This was sort of a gamble for us to begin with, now we're definitely not coming out even on them. Silver lining I suppose is; we will be able to renew them at the discounted rate.

Reactions: BGWnut
I personally am a little peeved that they didn't list anything there about what if anything they will do for people paying month to month. I have no issue with paying and letting them have an influx of capital in these times but many are not in as stable of a situation in these times an when you mention that you are extending the paid passes for the closure time you more or less owe it to the others to either provide some form of compensation when you open or to stop charging.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad