Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
My idea may be a little too similar to Twisted Timbers, but I'm thinking that if Grizzly still has some rough spots next year, they could give it the White Lightning treatment and retrack some sections with GCI's steel track.

Random idea - buy back King Kobra and place it somewhere by Avalanche. Bonus points if they can have another ride go through the loop.

Reactions: SLC Headache
Oh really? I thought there were only a handful of the Shwarzkopf (sp?) shuttle loopers left, KD's only one was sold to some park in Mexico or South America somewhere?

Oh really? I thought there were only a handful of the Shwarzkopf (sp?) shuttle loopers left, KD's only one was sold to some park in Mexico or South America somewhere?

It's been sold to multiple parks. All I know is it ended up at Alton Towers at some point, next to Nemesis

I have had a weird obsession over these things since King Kobra left KD. I only got to ride it the one time and when I found out they moved it 3 times, the history and disposition of them was just facinating.

Wiki has a solid list of all of them and their statues. They built an even dozen and the group has been in 22 different locations...

It's been sold to multiple parks. All I know is it ended up at Alton Towers at some point, next to Nemesis
It has been in a total for 4 locations.

From the wiki article...
" The original King Kobra from Kings Dominion is the most traveled shuttle loop, having operated at Kings Dominion, Jolly Roger Amusement Park, Alton Towers and Hopi Hari "
Kentucky Kingdom had the pair from the old Marriott parks. I thought perhaps they were dualing... (that would have been cool) but it does not seem that was the case. I can only guess one was used for spare parts.

Ooohhh KD should buy 2 and actually duel them - then the park can use the double dueling coasters in ads and whatnot

Interestingly one has had its Fly Wheel removed and LIN's installed. That is dedication to an older ride. KD should do this...

Reactions: Jonesta6
Interestingly one has had its Fly Wheel removed and LIN's installed. That is dedication to an older ride. KD should do this...
And I think that one was Psyke Underground at Walibi Belgium. They also replaced the trains on that one with Gerstlauer trains (which were also installed on Hershey's SooperDooperLooper).

I wonder if they could refurb an older corkscrew or something into a shuttle loop, though my understanding is the Shwarzkopf versions have a more circular loop than the standard clothoid found on most rides so it was more intense.

Unfortunately I've not had the opportunity to ride any to know for sure.

Random idea - buy back King Kobra and place it somewhere by Avalanche. Bonus points if they can have another ride go through the loop.
I'd love that, I don't want to go to Brazil just for the former King Kobra.

Dusting this one off as well - not sure where else to stick it so wouldn't be too surprised if it gets moved:

KD really needs an invert of some sort to help round out their lineup. Obviously they lost one and one could make the argument that Tumbili could fill the gap, but I'd think they could go traditional chain lift and make it a more terrain coaster than launching it or relying upon a gimmicky seat roll element. And while this could be a Volcano replacement, I'd also be happy for it be a future expansion on it's own.

B&M would be an obvious however would be directly compared to Alpengeist so I'm curious what other inverted models outside of a Vekoma hang and bang or somehow relocating an old Arrow suspended coaster are out there?

^^-- Vekoma's recent inverts are said to be fantastic. "STC" Suspended Thrill Coaster. Probably could even get a launch. Of course Intamin still will make inverts too..

I'm wondering if the area will be redone as an "X-Zone" with more attractions eventually instead of of one huge coaster, with Wicked Twister as a first installment. Not that I favor that, unless it gets more, say a GCI or a Launched Mine Train/darkride. But what would really replace Volcano and fill the gaps is an intensely launched floater air machine.

Dusting this one off as well - not sure where else to stick it so wouldn't be too surprised if it gets moved:

KD really needs an invert of some sort to help round out their lineup. Obviously they lost one and one could make the argument that Tumbili could fill the gap, but I'd think they could go traditional chain lift and make it a more terrain coaster than launching it or relying upon a gimmicky seat roll element. And while this could be a Volcano replacement, I'd also be happy for it be a future expansion on it's own.

B&M would be an obvious however would be directly compared to Alpengeist so I'm curious what other inverted models outside of a Vekoma hang and bang or somehow relocating an old Arrow suspended coaster are out there?
I know the Kings Dominion property is huge and there are already a lot of empty gaps in the park as is, but if they did ever do a future expansion and knock over some trees where do you see them doing it?

I know the Kings Dominion property is huge and there are already a lot of empty gaps in the park as is, but if they did ever do a future expansion and knock over some trees where do you see them doing it?

I don't see them clear-cutting anywhere if they don't have to.

It would be interesting if they were to replace Anaconda, put the new station near where the corkscrews currently exist, add some rockwork sticking out of the lake, and reuse Anaconda's tunnel/build a new tunnel if necessary. Realistically I doubt we would see them do that only because of the extra expense it'd be to work in and around the lake vs dry land.

Now that I think of it, an inverted version of a blitz like Maverick where it focuses on near-misses and forces vs. height and speed all interplaying with the new rockwork and the lake would be awesome and not directly comparable to other inverts in the region.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad