Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Aeronautica Landing Logo

On August 11th, 2022, Carowinds officially announced a new aviation-themed land called Aeronautica Landing. This immersive new area is slated to replace the former Crossroads section of the park between Afterburn and Copperhead Strike. Aeronautica Landing is planned to debut in 2023, Carowinds' 50th anniversary.

Aeronautica Landing Concept Art

New Attractions​

Air Racer​

• Manufacturer: Zamperla
  • Model: Air Race

Official Description:​

Do you have what it takes to maneuver these speedsters of the skies? Hop in a vehicle of your choice and race and roll through the obstacles recreated from heroic tales of ace pilots high in the Carolina sky. Air Racer delivers an exciting ride combined with impressive visuals due to its uniquely designed experience.

Air Walker​

• Model: Skater

Our aviation experts are testing the limits of an experimental aircraft engine and need your help. New lift and propulsion technologies simulated in this rotating ride can make planes faster but sometimes unstable. Willing to take a spin and put the latest and greatest thrill machine to the test?

Gear Spin​

• Model: NebulaZ

What if a ginormous, red-hot propulsion engine—normally used to thrust an aircraft through the atmosphere—was outfitted with seats for riders? What if the engine’s extreme power and force created a speeding, spinning adventure reserved for only the bravest riders? Say hello to Gear Spin.

Gyro Force​

• Manufacturer:
  • Model:

Located inside secret testing grounds, the X-J1 is used to evaluate new lift and propulsion technologies. The wild experimental engine design on this experience is bigger and faster, and maybe a little unstable, and requires brave test pilots daily to help advance this exciting research.

Rethemed Attractions​

Hover & Dodge​

• Manufacturer:
  • Model:

Aspiring hovercraft pilots can learn the ropes in the specially designed, cosmic training ground. But there is a wacky twist: In this futuristic version of bumper cars, these are transformed hot rods into hovercrafts—and they are prone to malfunction and bump into each for a high-larious time.

Food & Beverage Offerings​

Terminal A​

Modeled after high-end and exclusive sky clubs, the new Terminal A restaurant and bar offers top-tier service, delicious eats, and craft beer on a stunning patio. Ask the friendly staff about the history of Carolina aviation and the flight jackets on display.

Air Drop Supply Co.​

Drop in for delicious treats at Air Drop Supply Co., the new walk-up diner. A unique kitchen from a container simulating those that are filled with supplies and dropped from airplanes to people below. Give the “Sky-High Dog” a try!

Additional Elements​

Aeronautica Landing Game Zone​

Acrobatic challenges and prizes await as you walk a balance beam or hang as long as possible—all against a backdrop that simulates a high-altitude experience. Practice your accuracy by pushing your aircraft up a wall to win a race underneath a prized-filled canopy. Level-up your hoops game and score prizes with aeronautical clues to help with basketball trajectory and gravity. Try the balloon bust classic carnival game where everyone is a winner.

Concept Video​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Official Links​

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be Mr Grammar Nazi but it's Houston, not Huston.
Whitney Houston Dance GIF by AMPYA

Goodness. That didn't take long.

I'm really curious to see updated site plans now. Maybe another new ride may have been added to the plans to make up for this...?
Its possible. They may also move it to another location...maybe 2024? I will be posting video on YouTube and Facebook later.

This is probably a really absurd thought, but is there any chance that they could just be removing the counterweight and replacing the gondola? Basically turning this Intamin Looping Starship into an overbuilt Intamin Bounty?

how long does the site plan requests usually take? sorry im impatient and also curious about southern star too. I liked the ride and for it to be removed now, wonder why the change and wonder if there might be a replacement ride or something.

how long does the site plan requests usually take? sorry im impatient and also curious about southern star too. I liked the ride and for it to be removed now, wonder why the change and wonder if there might be a replacement ride or something.

It totally depends on the municipality, who is tasked with fulfilling it, how they're feeling on any given day, what their workload is, etc.

Back in March I heard back in a week so that's probably a fair benchmark. Sometimes it can take considerably longer though.

Reactions: Executioner822
This is probably a really absurd thought, but is there any chance that they could just be removing the counterweight and replacing the gondola? Basically turning this Intamin Looping Starship into an overbuilt Intamin Bounty?
That is a possibilty. I am a little stunned that the park is dismantling the existing rides so early and quickly.

Maybe Carowinds needs an early start due to demo'ing the foundations for the attractions that are being removed. The new rides will need new foundations dug and poured based on the ride size and forces excerted by the new attraction.

The park did not drag out the ride closures tied to this project!

Reactions: Mwe BGW
That is a possibilty. I am a little stunned that the park is dismantling the existing rides so early and quickly.

Maybe Carowinds needs an early start due to demo'ing the foundations for the attractions that are being removed. The new rides will need new foundations dug and poured based on the ride size and forces excerted by the new attraction.

The park did not drag out the ride closures tied to this project!
I’d also be willing to bet that those pathways are going to receive some much needed TLC. AKA, pavers

Reactions: Mwe BGW and Zachary
I would think if it was staying it would have been featured in the concept art, as it's located right behind the proposed sign. They could be saving it as a surprise though, that's what happened with the gliders back in 2019.

Reactions: Mwe BGW and Zachary
Ok, here's an absolute bonkers theory. A viking ship doesn't fit the new area at all. But what about a space shuttle ride vehicle like Jet Scream at Canada's Wonderland? I wonder if any of them are still sitting around in storage somewhere.

I would think if it was staying it would have been featured in the concept art, as it's located right behind the proposed sign. They could be saving it as a surprise though, that's what happened with the gliders back in 2019.
I believe that concept art is....well, you see the site plans? The concept art is taken in the plaza just below Food Drop in those plans, facing the Disk'o. Southern Star wouldn't be visible from that angle.
EDIT: Nope nevermind it is taken from the runway plaza.
Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 09-24-21 Composite5.png

Where the concept art is taken is in pink. There's no sign of Southern Star but it looks like Food Drop (which actually seems to be called Air Drop in the concept art) and the Aeronautica Landing sign are far closer to each other than on the plans so it seems the plaza might have actually been silently shifted closer to Air Drop, replacing Southern Star.

There is also word of Southern Star moving elsewhere in the park going about. We'll have to wait and see on that.

Last edited:
Man this park is on the come-up. So exciting to see it be elevated in importance and improved on a regular basis with this being the latest example. I guess it doesn't hurt that Cedar Fair's HQ is in Charlotte now. Does this also merit Carowinds being moved up a level on the main page (with BGW and Kings Dominion) and out of the Cedar Fair collection of parks off to the side?

Does this also merit Carowinds being moved up a level on the main page (with BGW and Kings Dominion) and out of the Cedar Fair collection of parks off to the side?

The thing that separates out BGW and KD is that ParkFans is partnered with prominent outlets dedicated to covering those parks.

I was super sad to see CarowindsConnection go under (which is why we are hosting the archive of it), but without a partnered site dedicated to the consistent, in-depth coverage of Carowinds to drive regular, new traffic and membership to ParkFans, we wouldn't elevate this board above any of the other parks.

We're always open to new partnerships, but new opportunities haven't presented themselves in a while. Maybe one day though.

If someone out there is interested in covering any park, feel free to drop me a message. Always open to brainstorming with anyone who may want to enter the space!

Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad