Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Aeronautica Landing Logo

On August 11th, 2022, Carowinds officially announced a new aviation-themed land called Aeronautica Landing. This immersive new area is slated to replace the former Crossroads section of the park between Afterburn and Copperhead Strike. Aeronautica Landing is planned to debut in 2023, Carowinds' 50th anniversary.

Aeronautica Landing Concept Art

New Attractions​

Air Racer​

• Manufacturer: Zamperla
  • Model: Air Race

Official Description:​

Do you have what it takes to maneuver these speedsters of the skies? Hop in a vehicle of your choice and race and roll through the obstacles recreated from heroic tales of ace pilots high in the Carolina sky. Air Racer delivers an exciting ride combined with impressive visuals due to its uniquely designed experience.

Air Walker​

• Model: Skater

Our aviation experts are testing the limits of an experimental aircraft engine and need your help. New lift and propulsion technologies simulated in this rotating ride can make planes faster but sometimes unstable. Willing to take a spin and put the latest and greatest thrill machine to the test?

Gear Spin​

• Model: NebulaZ

What if a ginormous, red-hot propulsion engine—normally used to thrust an aircraft through the atmosphere—was outfitted with seats for riders? What if the engine’s extreme power and force created a speeding, spinning adventure reserved for only the bravest riders? Say hello to Gear Spin.

Gyro Force​

• Manufacturer:
  • Model:

Located inside secret testing grounds, the X-J1 is used to evaluate new lift and propulsion technologies. The wild experimental engine design on this experience is bigger and faster, and maybe a little unstable, and requires brave test pilots daily to help advance this exciting research.

Rethemed Attractions​

Hover & Dodge​

• Manufacturer:
  • Model:

Aspiring hovercraft pilots can learn the ropes in the specially designed, cosmic training ground. But there is a wacky twist: In this futuristic version of bumper cars, these are transformed hot rods into hovercrafts—and they are prone to malfunction and bump into each for a high-larious time.

Food & Beverage Offerings​

Terminal A​

Modeled after high-end and exclusive sky clubs, the new Terminal A restaurant and bar offers top-tier service, delicious eats, and craft beer on a stunning patio. Ask the friendly staff about the history of Carolina aviation and the flight jackets on display.

Air Drop Supply Co.​

Drop in for delicious treats at Air Drop Supply Co., the new walk-up diner. A unique kitchen from a container simulating those that are filled with supplies and dropped from airplanes to people below. Give the “Sky-High Dog” a try!

Additional Elements​

Aeronautica Landing Game Zone​

Acrobatic challenges and prizes await as you walk a balance beam or hang as long as possible—all against a backdrop that simulates a high-altitude experience. Practice your accuracy by pushing your aircraft up a wall to win a race underneath a prized-filled canopy. Level-up your hoops game and score prizes with aeronautical clues to help with basketball trajectory and gravity. Try the balloon bust classic carnival game where everyone is a winner.

Concept Video​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Official Links​

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like Carowinds is going to join Kings Dominion aboard Cedar Fair's massive area overhaul bandwagon in 2023! According to documents I've reviewed, Carowinds is planning to entirely retheme the existing area of the park between Copperhead Strike, Boo Blasters, Afterburn, and Action Theater. This project is identified in the files I have as "Crossroads 2023."

First off, lets look at the demolition plans.

Demo1.png Demo2.png

These are pretty difficult plans to interpret, but basically anything that is shaded is slated for demolition. While this mainly includes the vast majority of the existing pathways, some planters and fences, etc. the keen eyed among you may spot two other intriguing removals. The queues for both the existing Chance Rides Yo-Yo and the interactive, 4D, action theater attraction, Plants vs. Zombies, are being demolished. As you'll be able to see later, the plans certainly call for the replacement of Yo-Yo and almost certainly also depict the demise of Plants vs. Zombies.

Thankfully, these likely attraction losses are occurring for a good reason. Not only do the plans I've obtained reflect an enormous thematic and environmental overhaul of this region of the park, but they also depict the addition of four new, sizable, flat rides alongside a number of dining additions. In case it wasn't clear up until this point, this project is enormous. Below you'll find a full site plan of the proposed area with some of the major additions expressly called out.

Highlights.png

Lets start with the new flat rides.

Zamperla NebulaZ​

NebulaZ.png

As you can see from the plan above (click to enlarge—make sure you're logged in), this addition is called out by name. It will be located next to both Southern Star and the Bumper Cars (both of which are slated to remain in these plans). A video of this ride model in action can be found below.

Chance Trabant (?)​

Trabant.png

The plan for the area's second new flat ride depicts what is labeled as a "Trabant." I included the (?) above because, as far as I know, Chance, the original manufacturer of the Trabant, has since replaced the model with the Freestyle. Given Cedar Fair's recent propensity for purchasing older, used flat rides though, a classic, old-style Trabant is totally a possibility here. Still, noting the slight uncertainty is worthwhile. Anyway, a video of a Chance Trabant can be found below.

Zamperla Disk'O (?)​

Disk'O.png

The third new flat ride included as part of "Crossroads 2023" is labeled as a "Skater." From what we can tell from the depicted structure and ride envelope, this is almost certainly a Zamperla Disk'O. Also note the "Scenic Sandy Dunes" theming designed for the front of the ride! Anyway, video of another Disk'O is included below.

Zamperla Air Race (?)​

Air Race.png

All the way at the back of the new land, we have what appears to be a third large Zamperla flat ride, an Air Race. Technically the plans call this "Air Racer," but given the shape and size of the pad, it seems very likely that it's a Zamperla Air Race. The theming proposed around the attraction hints at an aviation theme as well with bleachers, race cones, and more. Anyway, I've included a video of an Air Race in action below.

Now moving on from the flats...

New & Renovated Dining​

The plans I've seen call for a number of dining updates and overhauls. For starters, a new, expanded dining area appears to be proposed for the right side of the existing Chick-fil-A. You can see detailed plans for that below.

Expanded CFA.png

Next up, the existing Fry Shack location seems to be slated for some thematic upgrades.

Fry Shack.png

Deeper into the area, there's an all new food location next to Southern Star and the new NebulaZ labeled "Food Drop." This appears to just be a small quick service location of some sort.

Food Drop.png

Lastly, but certainly not least, where's an area in front of Action Theater labeled "Bar." This portion of the site plan is tremendously vague, but that label alone will excite a lot of folks I'm sure!

Bar.png

New Theming & Other Miscellaneous Additions​

If you dig through the full site plan, you'll find a ton of different thematic upgrades planned for the Crossroads area of Carowinds next season. These include a new entry portal to the land, a runway-themed plaza in front of Southern Star, a new thematic tower at the entrance to the Bumper Cars, a "Play Yard" adjacent to the restrooms, a new "Founders" plaza near Action Theater, and so much more. I'm not going to go through and highlight everything, but I will encourage you all to check out the super high resolution site plans below.

Plan 1.png Plan 2.png

Lastly, I can't let you all go home without a composite map showing exactly how the new additions will fit into the current park landscape! Note: The image below also features the schematics for the existing Flying Scooters at the top left of the site. That is not a new addition for 2023, but Google's satellite imagery hasn't updated since their construction so it seemed more helpful to leave that section of the plans intact.

Composite.jpg

Last edited:
Also double posting for clarity's sake but I would hedge my bet that the Carowinds Air Race is a 6.4 model and not an 8.2.

Increased capacity and less moving parts, along with the 6.4 model being the permanent installation option most parks have taken.

Also double posting for clarity's sake but I would hedge my bet that the Carowinds Air Race is a 6.4 model and not an 8.2.

Increased capacity and less moving parts, along with the 6.4 model being the permanent installation option most parks have taken.

Thanks for the tip! I updated the video in my first post.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Looking at the photos of the ride that already arrived it reminds me of a chance freestyle under fury since Chance stopped selling the wipeout model new

Also im hoping for the ride to be a super air race since we just know about the air race model.

Last edited:
Wonder is everything existing outside Copperhead Strike gets renamed. Could do a cool moonshine/nascar roots type thing.

Carowinds used to be a flat desert so it’s nice to see them get another flat package. It’s also good to see Cedar Fair is looking at Zamperlas larger flat catalogue. I really enjoyed my visit to Carowinds last fall it’s improved a ton the last 10 years and this will just make it much better. Makes me wonder if we’re getting a flat package in Jungle X for 2023 or just like 1-2 of them that could be similar.

I imagine it will become special event space like some of the others have over the years.
That makes me kind of sad I wish they could put some kind of action show with an aviation theme in those theaters. When they had days of thunder that was really a fun show in there. It would be really neat to do something on those lines with some kind of aviation theme or action. Carowinds needs one or two more indoor air-conditioned attractions like the theater shows (near the carousel )and the boo blasters which needs an overhaul. It is a very hot climate down here and I think that’s something else the park needs however this expansion is exciting.

That makes me kind of sad I wish they could put some kind of action show with an aviation theme in those theaters. When they had days of thunder that was really a fun show in there. It would be really neat to do something on those lines with some kind of aviation theme or action. Carowinds needs one or two more indoor air-conditioned attractions like the theater shows (near the carousel )and the boo blasters which needs an overhaul. It is a very hot climate down here and I think that’s something else the park needs however this expansion is exciting.
Days of Thunder was great..... Didn't experience it at Carowinds but did at KI. I actually loved those simulator theaters.
Looking at the photos of the ride that already arrived it reminds me of a chance freestyle under fury since Chance stopped selling the wipeout model new

Personally I think it looks more like the endeavor like at SFNE and KK. SFNE also has a freestyle. I really hope it's not the old trabant/wipeout model -- while they are fun they can also be painful with how hard you get thrown into the side of the seat.

This really should be called “Original County Fair Overhaul.”

Original Country Crossroads was the area with original Harmony Hall (boo blasters), the mill, Chicken Kitchen, School House and the barn plus the Jalopies where the flying scooters are now. The area in front of Boo Blasters is one of the few areas of the original park that is still mostly intact. THANK goodness it looks like they are leaving it alone.

Although I think Blue Ridge Junction and that area have the same theme and should just be combined at this point.

The original County Fair area desperately needs redone. Ever since they tore down thunder Road and moved County Fair to where Pirate Island used to be, The original County Fair area looked and felt neglected. Aviation theme works well and fits the Carolinas.

It’s great to see flat rides being added in mass. All the Taft parks except Wonderland lack flats. But the rides Carowinds lacks most is transportation and dark rides.

Not too excited about any Zamperla rides. They tend to look cheap except Air Race looks nice. Nebula is cheap version Hexentanz. Disco is cheap version Frisbee It’s a shame Huss doesn’t produce all of their high quality flat rides these days. They still make a few though like Condor that would be perfect for aviation themed. Mondial makes some quality rides as well.

The park had a trabant called Wagon Wheel back in the 80s. The outward facing trabant doesn’t look great as it throws one against restraints.

The next area that needs a clean up after this is that waterless Carolina Boardwalk mess of overlaid frontier buildings. It’s needs to go back to Frontier Outpost.

Cedar Fair has done a LOT of work on Carowinds park undoing Paramount damage.

Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad