Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
There are more rides listed on the map than the website.

Definitely not worth attending with both the railroad and skyway closed. Only 2 coasters.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
I don't think the rides are really the focus of the event. I'm not saying it is worth attending, regardless. But it doesn't seem reasonable to judge BGW's Mardi Gras based on coasters and transport rides, since it is built around entertainment and food. People who are primarily interested in rides may not want to attend, but I don't know that a blanket "not worth attending" is fair, given the wide range of interests parkgoers have.

The lack of transport rides is more of a concern than the coasters.. The transport rides can operate in cold weather. And if this event is aimed at non-Thrillseekers, those are two non-thrillseeker attractions.

The entertainment lineup consists on one major show and several sideshows. Lower level of entertainment, 6 hour operating days, no rides for non thrill seekers, few coasters.

It’s an event for those not traveling far. Which are probably season passholders that aren’t going to add much revenue. Not worth a trip over a few hours IMO.

The lack of transport rides is more of a concern than the coasters.. The transport rides can operate in cold weather. And if this event is aimed at non-Thrillseekers, those are two non-thrillseeker attractions.

The entertainment lineup consists on one major show and several sideshows. Lower level of entertainment, 6 hour operating days, no rides for non thrill seekers, few coasters.

It’s an event for those not traveling far. Which are probably season passholders that aren’t going to add much revenue. Not worth a trip over a few hours IMO.
That's how I see it. Just not worth the travel and day ticket costs for a couple coasters and a show type that is pretty well available elsewhere.

It's slightly disappointing, but I'll probably go due to lack of options. Hopefully if many people show up they got the memo about it not being about rides.

As someone who lives 10 minutes away I really enjoy it, though I can see not driving hours for it. It's refreshing being able to walk around without massive crowds.
Same. Mardi Gras is probably my favorite 'event' of the year. Low crowd levels on a majority of days, different food options, and the same 6 Mardi Gras/New Orleans themed songs playing as loud as possible across the entirety of the park.

In all seriousness, I'm stoked to get back to the park tomorrow.

Reactions: tursiops
I really like limited events like this, but I find they can be crazy on nice days. The husband and I have gone in the past when the weather has been 45 degrees and it was enjoyable. Park wasn't crowded, lines for food and rides were short, and the atmosphere was amazing. However, if you get a 60+ degree day in January or February, watch out! We have been on these days as well and the park is not equipped to handle the amount of people that come in. With only select rides open, lines are usually long because people are enjoying coaster rides in the weather. The food options are limited to some specialty food booths and one or two eateries and this makes food lines everywhere crazy long. There are a lot of people on the paths which make outdoor entertainment like the Mardi Gras Street party in France and Samba in Killarney congested areas to get around.

Word of warning to anyone planning a visit this weekend. Tonight Apollo was running one train and was a 20 minute wait. DarKoaster was a 2 hour wait no idea how many trains it's running as I am a not waiting 2 hours for it. Finnigan was only running one side and was a long wait. All with fairly small crowds. If tomorrow stays nice expect it to be packed and to be waiting a long time for rides.

Why would they ever run Apollo with one train? They have three, so even while they take one offline for maintenance, there should still be two left…

Waiting for the train to cycle through Apollo’s entire (and long!) course, plus BGW’s increasingly glacial ops, sounds miserable.

Why would they ever run Apollo with one train? They have three, so even while they take one offline for maintenance, there should still be two left…

Waiting for the train to cycle through Apollo’s entire (and long!) course, plus BGW’s increasingly glacial ops, sounds miserable.

Because two are offline for annual maintenance. It is the off-season after all.

Because two are offline for annual maintenance. It is the off-season after all.
I can understand that but my personal hope was given that Apollo was down for almost 3 months that BGW would have two trains ready to go. I know that it might not always be practical but I think that if BGW plans on continuing year round ops that they should try to plan that what ever coaster isn't running during Christmas Town be ready to go When they open for Mardi Gras.

Also I want to give BGW huge credit the Wild Resver area looks incredible with the light package that they used if you are going on a Friday night be sure to plan to stroll through it after dark.

Attachments

• 20240126_191333.jpg
    20240126_191333.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 48
  • 20240126_191324.jpg
    20240126_191324.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 20240126_190934.jpg
    20240126_190934.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240126_190916.jpg
    20240126_190916.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 20240126_190911.jpg
    20240126_190911.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240126_190854.jpg
    20240126_190854.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240126_190853.jpg
    20240126_190853.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 48
So my review after today…
1) Carnaval was really a good show. It’s not the reason I’d return to Mardi Gras in particular, but it was quite the crowd pleaser. The guy spinning stuff with his feet was impressive. The guy running in and on the hamster wheel was…either a good actor or needs some practice. He had a lot of people worried in the audience.

“Reserved seating” for Platinum members was kinda interesting…we showed up early for the first show and showed up intentionally last-minute (five minutes early?) for the last show of Carnaval and there were two rows just ready for us to sit in both times, even when the rest of the room was filling up for the 5pm.

2) The samba jamboree by far the best crew and fun that just keeps going on and on. Once again Killarney has the best of the best. The Festhaus show with live music was really awesome. It wasn’t like crazy impressive, but just having live music made it awesome.
3) The wolves were on it today, howling away the entire day.
4) The space was about 75% full for the “rock show.” The performers were into it, but just not my thing. I’d say all the shows were about 75% full.
5) The street party was “eh.” Like, Jack is Back has a tiny bit of storyline, dancing, crowd interaction. They tried a bit of that, but it needs another iteration.
6) There was so much juggling. Everything had someone juggling.
7) Food-wise, blackened chicken from Trapper’s was the best thing I had. Beignets were fine, hush puppies were fine. The sauce with the hush puppies does not belong. It’s a good sauce for something else.
8) Quick-queued Apollo’s and Finnegan’s. Apollo was single-train and had maybe three cycles in the queue that I could see. Finnegan’s was maybe two cycles deep. DarKoaster was impossible. Who in their right mind is waiting 120 minutes?
9) Got some good “free” stuff with my Busch Bucks for my children. Felt like my membership cost gave me a little back today.

After watching all three shows on Friday and watching him in Cirque Electric at BGT, I can say he is very good at what he does and has plenty of practice😋
How often did he jump rope on the outside of the wheel? Did he wear the black mask long?

The two shows I went to on Saturday, he tried twice jumping rope and kept tripping on it, and then he wore the black mask for maybe two seconds.

The second show he did a little better and was successful jumping rope both ways/times. But the mask was worn only going up.

It was certainly exciting, but people were more shouting in terror than amazement!

Reactions: Le Moose
How often did he jump rope on the outside of the wheel? Did he wear the black mask long?

The two shows I went to on Saturday, he tried twice jumping rope and kept tripping on it, and then he wore the black mask for maybe two seconds.

The second show he did a little better and was successful jumping rope both ways/times. But the mask was worn only going up.

It was certainly exciting, but people were more shouting in terror than amazement!
The first time I saw it, he wore the mask for a full spin, second time was for about half a spin, and the third time was roughly 2 and a half spins. I wasn’t really paying attention to the jump rope parts though.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad