Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
CNN has lost all credibility. Not getting political, but if you look at sites that rank news sources based on bias and facts vs opinions they fail at both. Unfortunately Blackfish was very popular for them.

For the record: CNN Films ≠ CNN (TV) ≠ CNN.com ≠ CNN+

Turner lumps a ton of stuff under the CNN brand and most of it isn't journalism. That doesn't invalidate the legitimate journalism that does occur in the news division though. ad fontes' most recent media bias and accuracy study found CNN.com to be in the second highest tier of factual reporting and only slightly left of center. The CNN television programming scored notably worse in both categories.

I think Blackfish is a incredibly shitty "documentary" and I think Turner associating the CNN brand with it by purchasing the distribution rights through CNN Films is abominable. That said, attempting to draw a line from awful corporate decisions made on behalf of non-journalism-focused CNN brands to the quality of the actual journalism happening within the actual newsrooms is wrongheaded if you ask me.

Hate Blackfish, hate Turner, hate CNN Films, hate CNN+, just don't blame the journalists who are doing legitimately good work for the sins of the corporate overlords at Turner/AT&T. Good work can happen in bad places and, according to the data I've seen, CNN's actual news team is still doing good work.

Last edited:
For the record: CNN Films ≠ CNN (TV) ≠ CNN.com ≠ CNN+

Turner lumps a ton of stuff under the CNN brand and most of it isn't journalism. That doesn't invalidate the legitimate journalism that does occur in the news division though. ad fontes' most recent media bias and accuracy study found CNN.com to be in the second highest tier of factual reporting and only slightly left of center. The CNN television programming scored notably worse in both categories.

I think Blackfish is a incredibly shitty "documentary" and I think Turner associating the CNN brand with it by purchasing the distribution rights through the CNN Films brand is abominable. That said, attempting to draw a line from awful corporate decisions made on behalf of non-journalism-focused CNN brands to the quality of the actual journalism happening within the actual newsrooms is wrongheaded if you ask me.

Hate Blackfish, hate Turner, hate CNN Films, hate CNN+, just don't blame the journalists who are doing legitimately good work for the sins of the corporate overlords at Turner/AT&T. Good work can happen in bad places and, according to the data I've seen, CNN's actual news team is still doing good work.
The CNN10 team is neat, they take the news and cram it all into 10 mins (like from that week)

Reactions: belsaas
To defend cable news, BBC World News is great. Although, I probably prefer BBC World Service.

For a interesting perspective and reasonably unbiased take, Channel News Asia (based in Singapore) is available live on YouTube.

A new comedy on Hulu, called Reboot, indirectly talks about Blackfish...

Gordon (Paul Reiser) mentions SeaWorld as an example of a fun time. Hannah (Rachel Bloom) huffs at the idea. He shrugs, “Who doesn’t like SeaWorld? There’s dolphins there.” “The dolphins,” she exclaims.

Ugh. Like, I’m glad SW dropped the programs to breed. But transporting and doing the natural pen is so so so dangerous to the Orka (in this case Corky). I hate PETA has even said it can be used to potentially reunite her with her family. I hate to sound heartless but that’s not likely to happen. I’m someone you cannot convince that it would end in a good outcome.

Ugh. Like, I’m glad SW dropped the programs to breed. But transporting and doing the natural pen is so so so dangerous to the Orka (in this case Corky). I hate PETA has even said it can be used to potentially reunite her with her family. I hate to sound heartless but that’s not likely to happen. I’m someone you cannot convince that it would end in a good outcome.
From what I heard about Keiko, it did not work out well the last time people tried to reunite an Orca with their family. He would only interact with humans, so the government put restrictions on the public to where only his care takers could interact with him. Despite many attempts, Keiko never found his original family.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

From what I heard about Keiko, it did not work out well the last time people tried to reunite an Orca with their family. He would only interact with humans, so the government put restrictions on the public to where only his care takers could interact with him. Despite many attempts, Keiko never found his original family.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Keiko actually kept fleeing his caretakers and seeking out other human interactions which was part of what led to the situation that led to his death. To be blunt Keiko died starving, lonely, and extremely ill. It's a great example of good intentions but bad ideas. The fact that any group would actively campaign for subjecting another animal to that fate is mind boggling

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad