Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 11, 2017
Why does everyone say it would be hard to fit a coaster in where Anaconda already is?
View attachment 27067

Almost 50% of the area is unused. While they probably could not fit a Giga in here I absolutely see no reason they couldnt fit any sort of looping coaster.

I agree with this. That's why I thought a decent indoor coaster could be added if they used Stunt Coaster and Anaconda's spot. Just like Verbolten, the loading station would be stand alone from the event building. I'd say go for a big event building because it gives you more elements for thrills and surprises. A lot was held back on Verbolten because Sea World went with the family theme. If they used a Dinosaur theme, I'd try and do what Island of Adventures could have done. I am a firm believer that family rides can still have a little bit of jump scare element to them. Animal Kingdom's: Dinosaur had this with the second Carnotaurus encounter. That's until Disney toned it down and the animatronic became less aggressive.

I'd consider the indoor event building to be the theme of a dark-prehistoric Jungle-X environment. If done right, the park could do some real damage with this one.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
While I can get behind the idea of maybe a full indoor coaster somewhere in the park, removing Lake Charles to do so not only ruins park aesthetics but also would add a lot more cost to the project with minimal returns for that particular placement over another.

Also, as others have indicated, I think Anaconda is fairly reliable, relatively low maintenance, low cost to operate, and is a capacity beast. It's probably not going anywhere unless something major and expensive/incredibly difficult to source a replacement for breaks.

Last edited:

Nibbins

Resident Rat - They/Them
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
Kinda crazy to think Anaconda would go away anytime soon when it is already clearly hinted at on the X-Pedition map.

Would not make any financial sense to tear it down and replace it when they still have other coasters in the area that need to be replaced or at least re-themed to fit the area.

Anaconda is basically done and would look great again with just some theming refreshments to fit in with the rest of X-Pedition.

1655478075093.png1655478105838.png

Mar 19, 2015
Clean up the landscaping & the lake, and giving it some new paint & new theming in the station would be an ideal way to keep for the next 10 years. Not sure it's worth the couple million $ for upgraded trains with vests, but I think that'd be a welcomed upgrade in most people's eyes.

Jul 14, 2019
Clean up the landscaping & the lake, and giving it some new paint & new theming in the station would be an ideal way to keep for the next 10 years. Not sure it's worth the couple million $ for upgraded trains with vests, but I think that'd be a welcomed upgrade in most people's eyes.
I think if they are planning on keeping it for another decade trains would be worth the investment

Apr 11, 2017
I'd like to think that too, but you never know how these companies are thinking. Did we ever think Volcano was going to get removed? Yes, Anaconda does fit the theme, but the company has to consider the park's power to compete with it's competitor. BGW just opened Pantheon and is set to open Dark Koaster next year. I don't count on KD getting a new ride for maybe another season or two. Not saying that attendance will take too much of a hit, but let's not fall too far back. KD was neck to neck with BGW for a while. For many years, I never considered driving to BGW because KD had Volcano in the lineup.

Something just popped up in my mind. Does anyone ever think about what a Volcano themed ride would look like in Anaconda's spot? Right now, I can only picture Volcano's layout sitting there, but when I come to think about it; wouldn't that of given it more space? When considering the station queue and the mountain, it sat in a small spot. The only space that was needed for the actual course was big turn, after the first launch. If Cedar Fair were to construct another mountain; would the lake permit a longer ride course for the S&S-Axis coaster?

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
… but the company has to consider the park's power to compete with it's competitor. BGW just opened Pantheon and is set to open Dark Koaster next year. I don't count on KD getting a new ride for maybe another season or two. Not saying that attendance will take too much of a hit, but let's not fall too far back. KD was neck to neck with BGW for a while. For many years, I never considered driving to BGW because KD had Volcano in the lineup.

I think you will find, if you look at the Jungle-X thread, that a lot of people think the opposite. There appears to be a fairly popular opinion that BGW’s quality has plummeted, while KD has been increasingly better and may have surpassed BGW.

I think a lot of people are looking for a comprehensive theme park experience, not exclusively high-thrill rides.

KD seems to be competing quite effectively with BGW in the culinary, entertainment, family attraction, and theming categories.

Last edited:

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I'd like to think that too, but you never know how these companies are thinking. Did we ever think Volcano was going to get removed? Yes, Anaconda does fit the theme, but the company has to consider the park's power to compete with it's competitor. BGW just opened Pantheon and is set to open Dark Koaster next year. I don't count on KD getting a new ride for maybe another season or two. Not saying that attendance will take too much of a hit, but let's not fall too far back. KD was neck to neck with BGW for a while. For many years, I never considered driving to BGW because KD had Volcano in the lineup.

Something just popped up in my mind. Does anyone ever think about what a Volcano themed ride would look like in Anaconda's spot? Right now, I can only picture Volcano's layout sitting there, but when I come to think about it; wouldn't that of given it more space? When considering the station queue and the mountain, it sat in a small spot. The only space that was needed for the actual course was big turn, after the first launch. If Cedar Fair were to construct another mountain; would the lake permit a longer ride course for the S&S-Axis coaster?

Leaving out other factors I am not sure removing another coaster even if it's replaced gives a park that has already list 3 in the last few years an advantage competing with a park that has added three soon to be four with no lost coasters in the same period. Especially when KD has other options as to where to build a new one without losing one.

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011

Have you considered that you might not be part of KD’s current target demographic? Based on KD’s heavy investments into special events, entertainment, family attractions, and general improvements to the park experience, it seems like they’re less concerned with attracting thrill seekers like yourself and are more interested in attracting families. So, I don’t think the fact that you would drive to BGW over KD for their coasters means much in terms of the park’s overall success against its competition, since I don’t think you’re the main type of person they’re trying to get into the park these days.

Jul 14, 2019
Leaving out other factors I am not sure removing another coaster even if it's replaced gives a park that has already list 3 in the last few years an advantage competing with a park that has added three soon to be four with no lost coasters in the same period. Especially when KD has other options as to where to build a new one without losing one.
Agreed. Unless something majorly mechanically fails I don't see them removing Anaconda until somepoint after Volcano's replacment is constructed.

Reactions: CoasterTalkBob
Apr 11, 2017
Have you considered that you might not be part of KD’s current target demographic? Based on KD’s heavy investments into special events, entertainment, family attractions, and general improvements to the park experience, it seems like they’re less concerned with attracting thrill seekers like yourself and are more interested in attracting families. So, I don’t think the fact that you would drive to BGW over KD for their coasters means much in terms of the park’s overall success against its competition, since I don’t think you’re the main type of person they’re trying to get into the park these days.

I'm not just there for thrills. I go there for everything. But if they let it go too long, they can lose thrill seekers too. Good example of that was Six Flags America. I remember getting chewed up in the forums for thinking the same thing and I eventually ended up correct. Overtime, more people preferred KD over SFA, because they had better rides. KD still has time, so I won't judge too soon. If KD is holding off for something great; then I'm all for it. They could be waiting for newer technology in order to build their next record breaking ride.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Well, like you just said - KD has always been known for rides, but has been lacking in family friendliness in the ride selection - Planet Snoopy is great for little ones, and of course there's plenty of coasters for those big and brave enough to handle them... But there's still a need for middle ground, which is what Anaconda fills.

KD still has a pretty good 1-2 thrill punch with with I305 and TT, and with a likely Volcano replacement in the works it is definitely not hurting in that space.

They don't need to remove Anaconda unless it becomes far too expensive to operate, necessary parts are completely unavailable, and/or the ride structure becomes deficient - one day any/all of these things may happen even with a great maintenance plan in place as they do have a service life, my guess is it'll be quite a while before they do though.

Reactions: outhikn and Mwe BGW
Nov 30, 2018
I think if they are planning on keeping it for another decade trains would be worth the investment
This plus some theming updates could really give it another lease on life inexpensively. I find the ride itself to be pretty good, especially the drop and first half, so if the restraint issue could be improved the ride could continue to be a good part of the park’s lineup.

Reactions: CoasterTalkBob
Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
I'm not just there for thrills. I go there for everything. But if they let it go too long, they can lose thrill seekers too. Good example of that was Six Flags America. I remember getting chewed up in the forums for thinking the same thing and I eventually ended up correct. Overtime, more people preferred KD over SFA, because they had better rides. KD still has time, so I won't judge too soon. If KD is holding off for something great; then I'm all for it. They could be waiting for newer technology in order to build their next record breaking ride.
After Volcano was removed I was very vocal about my belief that SFA was a better experience than KD. I still really enjoy SFA a lot but that has drastically changed. KD is by far the best park in the area right now unless you include Hershey.

What I really don't understand is your desire (or anyone's desire) to trash Anaconda. It really bugs me that people can't let rides hang around for others just because they don't like them. I honestly am not a huge fan of Anaconda but I appreciate the value that it provides to the park for others. I don't understand why enthusiasts always feel the need to sacrifice something that they don't like (and someone else probable does) in order to ask for a new coaster.

Mar 16, 2016
What I really don't understand is your desire (or anyone's desire) to trash Anaconda. It really bugs me that people can't let rides hang around for others just because they don't like them. I honestly am not a huge fan of Anaconda but I appreciate the value that it provides to the park for others. I don't understand why enthusiasts always feel the need to sacrifice something that they don't like (and someone else probable does) in order to ask for a new coaster.
For me personally I wouldn’t go super out of the way to make it last, but I wouldn’t rip it out while it’s operating fine.

Nov 30, 2018
I could see a small rehab for another 10-15 year run to be a good investment. Could they replace it with a more modern ride, sure. However, there is so much more of the park that has opportunities to really get value out of, why throw out a working ride that’s attractive to several demographics (e.g. the younger 48 inch crowd can ride it).

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
For me, no amount of new trains or modifications will ever solve Anaconda’s biggest problem: its layout blows. The first half of the ride, before the MCBR, is great — and frankly doesn’t get talked about enough. The first drop really whips you off the lift hill, and those first two inversions are snappy, well paced, and forceful.

But it’s game over when you hit the MCBR. It’s followed by some of the most ill-conceived, pointless maneuvers imaginable on a coaster. As you creep off the MCBR, you’re thrust into a janky heap of jagged circles that you slowly careen, seemingly designed to accomplish nothing except slam you against the sides of the train. It doesn’t even seem like there was an attempt to make this portion of the ride make sense. It’s not forceful. It’s not interesting. It’s not fun. And even when you, like me, have spent over a decade riding the coaster and know exactly how to brace yourself to avoid the head banging, it’s not comfortable. It’s like Arrow decided to take a mine train and put it on a looper and strip away all the fun of it.

Admittedly, the coaster’s finale — the two slow corkscrews over the water — is also great. But it’s the hefty middle part of the ride that, for me, prevents Anaconda from ever being a truly good ride in my book, no matter how comfy the trains are.

That doesn’t mean I think it needs to be removed, though, at least not yet. I doubt KD will want to invest into another coaster in that area given Tumbili, Volcano’s replacement, and all the other rethemes and improvements in Jungle X. Anaconda is inoffensive in my eyes — not a great coaster, but not so bad that it actively detracts from the park’s lineup (compared to its siblings Shockwave and Hurler). I’m content to see it decked out with Jungle X theming, gobble up capacity, and remain an anchor in the area while the park eventually turns its focus to the eastern side of the park and balances out the park’s layout a little more.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
As you creep off the MCBR, you’re thrust into a janky heap of jagged circles that you slowly careen, seemingly designed to accomplish nothing except slam you against the sides of the train. It doesn’t even seem like there was an attempt to make this portion of the ride make sense.

Pretty sure it was only because from a top-down view it looks like a figure-8. That's it, no other good reason for it.

Also sure that if Arrow had modernized their design/build process (I believe someone had once posted an interview with Alan Schilke where he indicated that even with CAD-like drafting and engineering, the problem was track fabrication was not also upgraded to take advantage of being able to integrate with the design, meaning the designs had to be limited to allow for hand bending sections), perhaps this section wouldn't be so janky.

Nov 30, 2018
In an alternate world where Arrow used more modern track building techniques, that figure 8 being taken at speed could be an interesting element. However, there would need to be a better brake system at the end as it would be even more of a car crash than now.

Nov 1, 2012
For me, no amount of new trains or modifications will ever solve Anaconda’s biggest problem: its layout blows. The first half of the ride, before the MCBR, is great — and frankly doesn’t get talked about enough. The first drop really whips you off the lift hill, and those first two inversions are snappy, well paced, and forceful.

But it’s game over when you hit the MCBR. It’s followed by some of the most ill-conceived, pointless maneuvers imaginable on a coaster. As you creep off the MCBR, you’re thrust into a janky heap of jagged circles that you slowly careen, seemingly designed to accomplish nothing except slam you against the sides of the train. It doesn’t even seem like there was an attempt to make this portion of the ride make sense. It’s not forceful. It’s not interesting. It’s not fun. And even when you, like me, have spent over a decade riding the coaster and know exactly how to brace yourself to avoid the head banging, it’s not comfortable. It’s like Arrow decided to take a mine train and put it on a looper and strip away all the fun of it.

Admittedly, the coaster’s finale — the two slow corkscrews over the water — is also great. But it’s the hefty middle part of the ride that, for me, prevents Anaconda from ever being a truly good ride in my book, no matter how comfy the trains are.

That doesn’t mean I think it needs to be removed, though, at least not yet. I doubt KD will want to invest into another coaster in that area given Tumbili, Volcano’s replacement, and all the other rethemes and improvements in Jungle X. Anaconda is inoffensive in my eyes — not a great coaster, but not so bad that it actively detracts from the park’s lineup (compared to its siblings Shockwave and Hurler). I’m content to see it decked out with Jungle X theming, gobble up capacity, and remain an anchor in the area while the park eventually turns its focus to the eastern side of the park and balances out the park’s layout a little more.
Arrow's terminology for those "jagged circles" are the Butterfly loops. Every coaster manufacturer sometimes have elements that look good on the design board; but, don't turn out so well in 3 deminsions. Plus, we are talking about Arrow and the era of tech to design coasters back then.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad