Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
Just announced: Lumina: A Spectacle of Lights

Kings Dominion said:
See International Street like you have never experienced it before as we present Lumina - our all new night time light spectacular! The lights explode over the midway as the International Street fountain and Eiffel Tower come to life!
Source

Looks like we have our replacement for Starlight Spectacular after all! So happy a nighttime presentation is coming back to International Street; it adds so much life and magic to the park. I wonder if this is a specific show or a continuous, 8pm-to-close presentation like Starlight Spectacular.

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
According to the in-park entertainment guide, there WILL be a show on the Grande Bandstand this year called “Hot Rhythm Nights.”

Kings Dominion said:
Join is as we bring the park to life with Hot Rhythm Nights. This incredible new show features singers, dancers, and a 9 piece live band. The music will get you moving as International Street turns into a party like no other.

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
I’m with ol’ Duncan....Hot Garbage on that stage as of late. Anything would be better than pop shows there. A brass band, a juggler, a drunk guy telling jokes, Anything! Hell, I would enjoy the singing mushrooms up there more than any show that’s been there in the last few years.

• Love
Reactions: Joe and Zimmy

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
Careful what you wish for...

We are talking about a space directly in front of the Eiffel Tower.

Apr 4, 2017
According to the in-park entertainment guide, there WILL be a show on the Grande Bandstand this year called “Hot Rhythm Nights.”
I hope this is the case, the website isn't reflecting it yet. If so, it appears KD is stepping up their entertainment lineup some this year since they added the country show as well. It sounds like a choreographed, live band show, which Cedar Fair has been leaning toward the last few seasons at several parks. The vocalists/dedicated dancer/live band formula usually makes for outstanding shows.

The version they had called "Turn It Up" at Carowinds last year was all around excellent.

King's Island has had a version since around 2013 first called "Playlist Live", then called "Off the Charts" since 2015. It features a full live band and 5 vocalists that also do choreography. In 2015, they moved the show to the International Showplace and it also featured dedicated dancers. That was the best year for that show. This will be at least the 7th year for that show. The band that performs in that show with 4 of the vocalists that perform at the park also perform as River City Band around Cincinnati.

IMO at KD at last 3 shows have been excellent and full of good energy with great talent.

2016 "Playlist Live" was by Moonmax. The choreography was super tight with something going on every second. There were a few live instruments, but not a full live band. It also had a great flow from song to song.

2017 "Turn It Up" was also Moonmax. The same choreographer did the same great work. A few live instruments. That show had some harsh stop and go transitions from song to song however.

2018 "Sunset Party Mix" was RWS, which was initially disappointing after the great work by Moonmax. But after watching the show with an open mind, it also had great choreography and overall good flow. This show featured a full live band, and less vocalists. Which In a show like this normally 4 vocalists are enough because when you go over that, you don't get to hear enough of each one.

Apr 4, 2017
Hot Rhythm Nights at the International Bandstand has been added to the website. I wonder why they left it off the site earlier. The vocalist/dancer/live band combination is a winner.

Reactions: Joe

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
I currently plan to go to the park tomorrow afternoon (for the first time this season!) to watch the new shows and to check out the new renovations around the park. I may or may not post a review of the shows afterwards.

Reactions: Joe

belsaas

Prince Ludwig is my Daddy
Silver Donor
I currently plan to go to the park tomorrow afternoon (for the first time this season!) to watch the new shows and to check out the new renovations around the park. I may or may not post a review of the shows afterwards.
Hey, I was planning to do the same! I do really want to see the fountain lights. I just wish Gravity was up and running yet.

Maybe I'll see you there!

Reactions: mtorange and Joe

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
Just arrived at the Park! I won’t be able to watch all the shows today, but my first stop is Space Beagle!

It’s about to start!!!

Reactions: Zachary

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
I may post a more in-depth review later on, but every show I’ve seen today has been spot-on! Space Beagle, Country Crossroads, Pub Crawlers, and Hot Rhythm Nights were the shows I’ve seen.

Sadly Twisted Grooves isn’t playing tonight and I wasn’t able to see the Yacht Rockers.

I plan to see Hot Rhythm Nights again during Lumina as I’ve heard the light show adds a whole new element to it!

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
Okay, so here's my review of the shows that I was able to see yesterday.

Space Beagle: This was a fun little show with the Peanuts characters and two actors that danced along with Snoopy, Lucy, and Charlie Brown. I appreciated a lot of the references and I found myself laughing more than a few times at some of the lines! I'm sure that most of the references went over the smaller viewers' heads, but either way, I walked in not expecting too much, but I went out appreciating it entirely!

Country Crossroads: This is more or less just a show with four singers and two instrumentalists playing various country songs. I don't usually like country music, but I found myself singing along to more than a few songs! Great show!

The Pub Crawlers: This was an interesting one. When I was looking for where the show would be, I assumed that it would be a band playing inside The Parched Pig, but boy was I wrong. It was actually a dance troupe that performed line dances and they encouraged guests to take part! Did I join in? Of course! I had a really fun time with this show, even though I can barely dance... I'll definitely be sure to dance with this group again soon!

Hot Rhythm Nights: This was definitely the highlight of my day! I made sure to watch this show twice: once in the evening and once at night during Lumina! There is a big difference between the two for sure... the nighttime showing is required if you want to get the full experience! This show's soundtrack is infectious and it had much of the audience dancing throughout; the Latin soundtrack was a great choice! The singers and dancers were part of Country Crossroads and The Pub Crawlers, so it was cool to see these same actors in a different show! It's a shame that this won't be playing during the Grand Carnivale, as I feel it could have easily fit itself in if the event had a Central American country amongst its ranks. Anyhow, this was the best show of the night!!!

Kings Dominion's Entertainment lineup absolutely wowed me! I don't think I've enjoyed their regular season lineup this much ever before! If you have a chance to stop by this summer, definitely do! Just remember that these shows will not be playing during the Grand Carnivale, but will resume operation after it ends (The Grand Carnivale is going to have a completely different entertainment lineup exclusive to that three-week period)!

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
It's funny, back in 2007-10 or so the quality/quantity of the park's entertainment lineup was something of a joke. But since 2014 not only do we have a total of 9-10 shows a season, but the hard work and effort everyone put into them is now visible that it can stand up against even Busch Gardens Williamsburg IMO. Whoever's in charge of the entertainment department deserves a well earned clap from me. 😁

Apr 22, 2019
I've been to the park a bunch of times last season, a couple times the prior season, and once so far this season. I still do not even know where any of the shows are. lol. Admittedly it hasn't been a priority for me to figure this out. I haven't historically been impressed with shows at amusement parks at all, but I should probably try these. So where is this Pub Crawlers one if it's not at the Parched Pig?

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
Gravity: A Cirque Experience - Kings Dominion Theater in Old Virginia
Hot Rhythm Nights - Grande Bandstand on International Street
The Pub Crawlers - on the path in front of The Parched Pig, between the taproom and the Shenandoah Lumber Co. exit
Country Crossroads - the new Candy Apple Grove stage located between Twist & Shop and Racer 75's entrance
Twisted Groove - Candy Apple Grove Stage
The Yacht Rockers - on the right side of Tidal Wave Bay beach near the Coastal Coolers bar (edited)
Franklin's Dance Party - Peanuts Playhouse in Planet Snoopy
Space Beagle - Peanuts Showplace in Planet Snoopy
Lumina: A Spectacle of Lights - International Street

Last edited:

belsaas

Prince Ludwig is my Daddy
Silver Donor
So, went to the park yesterday just to see shows. Brief thoughts:

The Pub Crawlers: Fun, loud, Line Dances galore. I still do not understand how to Wobble.
Country Crossroads: Really good. It's a great location for a show, and the performers bring some good energy to the show. They're put in benches in front of the stage, so if was better attended than Hot Summer nights even.
The Yacht Rockers: Only caught the back half of the show. There was Jimmy Buffet galore, which I appreciate. Very thematic.
Hot Rythm Nights: Fun show, weird song selection. It's obvious they're going for something Miami-esque, but as opposed to the recent top 40 shows, this just did not bring in people to watch. Great dancing though.
Twisted Groove: A purely instrumental Jazz-covers show. Performed well enough, but not entirely engaging.
Lumina: Really pretty. They do know how to use those fountains.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad