2019 Entertainment Lineup

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
A handful of new shows have been revealed by the 2019 park map which was released today:

Gravity: A Cirque Experience debuts in the Kings Dominion Theater. This show premiered at Kings Island in 2018.

Country Crossroads and Twisted Groove, two different shows both premiering on the "new" Candy Apple Grove Stage. There was a "new" Candy Apple Grove Stage last season on the Juke Box Diner patio, so either the stage has moved this season (the map placed it between Twist & Shop and Racer 75's entrance), or this was just a mistake.

Space Beagle premiers in the Peanuts Showplace. It's nice to see this large venue being used again after sitting dark in 2018, and to my knowledge this is the first time a Peanuts show has performed in the ampitheater.

Franklin's Dance Party debuts in the Peanuts Playhouse.

The Yacht Rockers will perform at the Tidal Wave Bay beach in Soak City. From what I understand this is a live band, which should be a huge improvement over the lawn games of the Soak City Soakers "show" last season.

I also believe the Clown Band is returning, and I have also heard rumors that The Parched Pig may have a designated pub band.

Finally, I have it on good authority that the park still has some entertainment offerings not yet announced on the park map.

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
I can’t wait to hear what else is coming! Such a promising lineup this year so far... I just hope we hear about the rest before Opening Day!

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
I was just taking another look at the park map and noticed that three of the shows are not running between June 16th and July 8th. I wonder what’s going on during those dates?

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
My timing is (almost) impeccable... I was driving to work this morning at KD’s 2019 ad was playing and it mentioned an event called “The Grand Carnival” (sounded like CarnivALL if I remember correctly). It sounded like there is gonna be a month-long event with a gigantic nighttime parade. Cedar Fair must’ve been REALLY impressed with the acting talent at WinterFest to have our park debut a new event like this!

EDIT: The correct spelling is Carnivale. I just learned this.

Last edited:

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
Not only will it feature the international entertainment component hinted at above, it also sounds as though there will be a big food component to it as well. Taste of VA died for this event, but if its execution is even close to the concepts I heard during its development, it's going to be worth it.

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
So I just saw a TV advertisement for KD 2019 and the event’s official title is “Grand Carnivale.” The ad showed a parade of some sort and then a clip of a light show, presumably from another Cedar Fair Park. Exciting times ahead!!!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
I'm going to take a moment to rant...

What the fuck is Kings Dominion's marketing team doing?! I don't think guests should be finding out about new offerings through TV and radio ads when said offerings haven't actually been announced yet.

Say someone heard that ad and thought it sounded cool. They go to Google the name of this grand new festival they heard about at Kings Dominion. What do they find? This thread. What a joke.

That's not how you drive pass sales or visitation. That's how you frustrate your potential customers.

mtorange

Jul 26, 2014
I agree with this 10,000%. Not sure what they were thinking here with that move. Still excited though!

What the fuck is Kings Dominion's marketing team doing?! I don't think guests should be finding out about new offerings through TV and radio ads when said offerings haven't actually been announced yet.

Say someone heard that ad and thought it sounded cool. They go to Google the name of this grand new festival they heard about at Kings Dominion. What do they find? This thread. What a joke.

That's not how you drive pass sales or visitation. That's how you frustrate your potential customers.

Reactions: Zachary
Nov 1, 2012

TV/Radio ads usually are from the corporate level, not the park level. I'm sure the park has some say to taylor the ads to their marketing region. Not sure if CF wanted to get these advanced event offerings out to the public before the final details of who/what/where is set in stone.

Again, this "Carnival" event is new for KD (Matter of fact, this sounds like one of the new event driven activites CF stated they wanted to focus on in the near future. This might be a "prototype" event that KD has been selected to host for 2019 (Like the Winterfest branded event started with one park, CGA) or a subset of CF parks for 2019.

What drives/motivates folks to buy tickets and/or season passes is subjective. You want more details about a summer event and cannot find any further details right now and it frustrates you that no details are currently available. Given that KD is not a destination park, this "teaser ad" might give some folks a thought to seriously consider visiting the park when passing through the area or, for local folks to make a decision to visit during the event.

Anyway, the "cat is out of the bag" as far as the event is concerned. At least it is something different to motivate folks to make a visit to the park during that 3 week period.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
TV/Radio ads usually are from the corporate level, not the park level. I'm sure the park has some say to taylor the ads to their marketing region. Not sure if CF wanted to get these advanced event offerings out to the public before the final details of who/what/where is set in stone.
Oh, I totally understand how this madness happened, but my point is that Kings Dominion shouldn't have allowed it to happen. Marketing knew this ad was going to start running. All they needed to do it as announce the name, dates, and general idea behind the event. Toss that information on a web page with a filler image and "More info coming Spring 2019!" written at the bottom and... voilà! Problem solved!

I have no problem with the park not having all the details yet. I have a problem with the park nullifying their own advertising by not facilitating any exploration of the very items they are promoting. This is an event that should be able to drive sales. More importantly, it's an event that can drive sales to a market that normally doesn't belong to KD. That said, if those normally-not-KD-guests hear this ad, look it up, and don't find anything, chances are they're never looking it up again.

Moves like this actively turn intrigue into disenfranchisement. It's mind-bogglingly stupid.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2017
Apparently they eliminated the choreographed show at the International Bandstand this year ☹ ( Sunset Party Mix, Playlist Live etc). That has been the best show at the park for many seasons.

• Angry
Reactions: belsaas

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
I disagree, I’m glad the park has given up on the pop music shows on the Bandstand. I always felt like the whole Top 20s genre was a lazy show theme, and it killed the classy vibe of International Street in my opinion. My understanding is that the Bandstand will be used for Carnivale performances both during and possibly after the event’s run.

Apr 9, 2013
While I don't find much at KD (or really any other park) classy, those Top 20 mix shows are hot garbage.

I liked the 9 or 10 piece marching band in that area. Its nice seeing and hearing kids play real instruments. They should do more of that.

belsaas

Prince Ludwig is my Daddy
Silver Donor
Man, I really can't disagree more!

Maybe it's my show choir pedigree, but I loved those pop shows, and would always hang out to sing and dance at them. I may have been a couple decades older than most of the other people dancing, but I prefer to think of myself as young at heart.

It was a fun way to wind down the evening, and a great chance for those kids to showcase their talent! I'll miss it.

Nov 1, 2012
Im excited for Gravity. Kings dominion needs 1 more indoor theater.
I have felt that was a good idea now for the last 40 years.

With these major special entertainment events on the operating calendar currently, I think having another indoor theater should be higher up on the capital investment list for CF/KD. A new indoor theater does not have to have a huge 1100-1200 seat capacity like the KD Theater. It could have a capacity of 600-800.

I know Cedar Fair has built a new theater in the last 8-10 years. Dorney park got a new indoor theater that has a seating capacity of about 700-800. The theater building was of a modular nature and only took 6-8 months to build.

Reactions: Joe
Login or Register to Hide This Ad