Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I honestly expect something very close to Winter Weekends to return. Striking Christmas Town takes a ton of time—it only makes sense to make use of the decorations until they're gone. Hence, Winter Weekends.

The animal aspects make a ton of sense as well. Easy and cheap to facilitate, can vary based on weather pretty easily, and the park doesn't have an animal event anymore without it.

I would argue it was fun because of the restrictions.

Judging by the latest track record BGW will try to pack the park way past what they can support with their staffing this time around.

Also, it looks like the free sample per visit for members went down to a 1 time benefit, which definitely takes quite a bit of fun out of the event for me.

Busch is really pushing the year round opertion.....its closed for a month and they are tearing shit apart left and right thrashing to do what they used to do in the 3 months they were closed in the off season. When they reopen so many things will be still in repairs that its really pointless to go. Its really a marketing lie that they are year round.
This seems like the better area to continue this conversation.

I recently had a chat with someone who is high enough up in a Park that is looking at possible year round ops for a future season. The financial aspects of doing so are much more complex then what many here are thinking. One of the driving factors in this particular park to making the transition is the impact it might have on staff retention and the cost of staff training especially in the ride ops areas. Long story short at least based on the unnamed park's announces they anticipate that cost reductions and other benefits in other areas will more the offset the cost of staffing slow winter days. Based on this conversation I wouldn't be surprised to see more parks moving in this direction in the near future.

Also thinking - while my perception of @WDWRLD's comment is that the new slow seasons are not particularly valuable to visit, by the fact the park is open throughout the year by definition means it's year-round.

Though I guess technically an argument could be made if there's weeks where the park could have opened but chose not to.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
If BGW really went all in on year round opertion it could be amazing but there needs to be some massive changes. I think of things like a legit italian resturaunt, or a germanplace or Irish pub. This crap they pass off now is tourist crap. If they could appeal to locals that would go for a actual nice experience and not just trying to pass off crap park food as gourmet it could be a winner. They could also lease out shops and booths yeat round for local artists to sell their goods, but again they pleces that appeal not the people that are selling the cheap tumblers with John Deer in pink or dolls. I think of places like the blacksmith at Knots Berry farm, which would fit perfect in new france selling handmade horseshoes with you name on them or things like coat hooks or they could take on comissioned projects. What about a wood carver, when the park had the wood sign shop they had to do a better business and have more appeal than the art place there now. Heck I remember buying random mirrored on wood names and we even bought a really nice sign we still use for RVing. Make the park more consistant with hours and whats open, its a crap shoot now and whats open one minute will be closed for the day the next. Make it a place people are proud to say they work and have worked for years and make it so they can afford to work there.

What about a wood carver, when the park had the wood sign shop they had to do a better business and have more appeal than the art place there now.

Not entirely sure, but I thought the space has always been leased to a tenant so the artist took over after the carver left. Same deal with the wax candle carver that used to be there too.

Also not sure if the park chose those particular tenants or not either.

Right, im sure they were leased but just because someone wants to lease space in a location dosent mean the park should just lease to them. They need to bring in things people are interesyed in and they need tohave rules about them being openn during prk hours. The painting place always seems to close early.

You may have a point, but anecdotal evidence on popularity is just that, not necessarily the truth on popularity. Also, not sure if the park is even able to effectively measure it.

My guess is that the general guidance for tenants in that space are arts/crafts related so non-thoosies can enjoy the creations.

And my second guess is that in the current operations of the park appearing to put profit first, the park isn't concerned about throughput or popularity of the tenants as long as they both keep on being an arts/crafts shop (no MLM or technology or whatever tenant - it's not a mall kiosk) and paying rent on time in full.

Last edited:
Just the fact they let them paint the bear out front pissed me off and can never be corrected!

You may have a point, but anecdotal evidence on popularity is just that, not necessarily the truth on popularity. Also, not sure if the park is even able to effectively measure it.

My guess is that the general guidance for tenants in that space are arts/crafts related so non-thoosies can enjoy the creations.

And my second guess is that in the current operations of the park appearing to put profit first, the park isn't concerned about throughput or popularity of the tenants as long as they both keep on being an arts/crafts shop (no MLM or technology or whatever tenant - it's not a mall kiosk) and paying rent on time in full.
I would add: the park (not this time of year) has long hours that are 7 days a week. Many of these artists likely have shows, fairs, and other things they want to go to. It can cause closings. One person working 7 days a week, 12 hour+ days, shouldn’t be expected.

The artists should be outside the area short term residences IMO.

Reactions: Jonesta6
I wonder if Mach Towers removing played any part in closing these two weeks. Perhaps the park planned on doing that so scheduled as such. I wouldn't be shocked to see Winter Weekends or something back next year.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad