Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Well thats a bummer :/
1305 also has the highest minimum temp of any ride in the park and would have a very limited time frame even if they were to open up more in tge future I can't see it being one.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
1305 also has the highest minimum temp of any ride in the park and would have a very limited time frame even if they were to open up more in tge future I can't see it being one.
Like all the other rides in the park, it no doubt HAS operated below 40 degrees during Haunt, before they started watching temperatures. In fact, it was extremely popular on the coldest nights, with lines increasing as temps fell.

Winterfest is a limited event, and if we have to go down to 2 coasters, Dominator will chill you enough, and has the best view of the lights in the whole park, and TT is quality and slightly less freezing. To me, it makes for a short and somewhat repetitive outing, but well worth my short drive, esp. with dining plan, even though I'm not that much into the many added entertainments. Coaster lines are still often shorter than the main season.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Like all the other rides in the park, it no doubt HAS operated below 40 degrees during Haunt, before they started watching temperatures. In fact, it was extremely popular on the coldest nights, with lines increasing as temps fell.
I can't say for sure if it has but I know many a spring day where it wasn't operating because of temps in the mid 40s. K remember the first pass members day the park kept it closed for that reason and were actively telling members it would not open.

Operating temperatures are strange because they are affected by multiple factors. Has the ride been running all day and temps drop at night? Type of wheels? Wind speed? Gusting or sustained winds?

I305 has a min operating temp of 41 degrees (Backlot is the highest in the park at 46 degrees). However, the biggest issue is getting the ride up to speed (aka the mornings or extended shutdowns). So generally if the temps drop at night and the cycle times aren't changing drastically , then the park is most likely going to keep the ride running. Also, they may also keep the ride closed if there is sustained/ gusting winds because that or a combination of wind and low temps will also hinder the ride's performance. Dominator and most other rides in the park have min temps set at 40. Some others are a bit more lenient and are set at 38 degrees.

As far as what operators tell the guests, sometimes take it with a grain of salt. They might know, they might not. They also may tell the guest what is easier to explain. From experience, guests tend to understand the "closure for low temps" better than high winds (especially if it's not windy at ground level).

KD put much more effort into their lighting this year than BG. The cutbacks at BG are obvious. KD has no cutbacks.

The only issue at KD is they don’t seem to try to keep the lights working.

The rides most needed at Winterfest us not coasters. It’s a train and a skyway. But Paramout killed that.

The event also needs bigger quality entertainment (nothing against the performers) but most shows are stand-up
sideshows and not more involved productions like BG.

If Winterfest had family friendly rides like the train and skyway, and quality shows there would honestly not be much of a reason to go to high priced Christmastown with its pitiful lights

Maybe that is why Christmas Town has a higher price tag?

So if Winterfest had additional entire attractions and entire production level shows (both of which are costly and time consuming to produce) it would easily blow away that darn pricey Christmas Town? Sounds like you are really saying "if Christmas Town invested some money into more lights it would blow Winterfest away entirely" since adding more lights is a relatively simple thing to implement as compared to production level shows and entire winter-suitable rides.

Kinda like saying "man if McDonalds took their speed of putting out orders, and implemented the freshness and quality of Five Guys, there would be no point in going to that high priced Five Guys". Like duh, taking the best aspects of everything and dumping it into one bowl would make an even better product, but I don't see how that makes any sense as a "CT is overpriced and lucky Winterfest doesn't do everything they do for cheaper".

Dominator and most other rides in the park have min temps set at 40. Some others are a bit more lenient and are set at 38 degrees.
I was not aware dominator was set at 40… when I went to Winterfest in 2018 I rode it at 36.

KD put much more effort into their lighting this year than BG. The cutbacks at BG are obvious. KD has no cutbacks.

The only issue at KD is they don’t seem to try to keep the lights working.

The rides most needed at Winterfest us not coasters. It’s a train and a skyway. But Paramout killed that.

The event also needs bigger quality entertainment (nothing against the performers) but most shows are stand-up
sideshows and not more involved productions like BG.

If Winterfest had family friendly rides like the train and skyway, and quality shows there would honestly not be much of a reason to go to high priced Christmastown with its pitiful lights
BGW has the benefit of the un-broken show development/production tradition in their entertainment department that goes back to the mid 1970's. I do realize they sometimes go a little "wacko" with some show productions over the last decade (based on what I have seen on here). And maybe an occasional bomb (usually that production was thrown out after one season). But, overall, BGW has had a continuous history of creating shows with high production values.

In the Taft-KECO years (mid 1970's to early 1990's), KD produced entertainment on par, and occasionally exceeded, BGW. The park chain entertainment division, Kings Productions, was a entertainment powerhouse in that era. Sadly, Paramount ended Kings Productions and the entertainment offerings plummeted to almost nothing. I still firmly believe the KECO parks lost 8%-10% of the visitor demographic in the first 3-4 years of Paramount ownership. We lost 3-4 dedicated entertainment facilities in the park. What is worse, is that almost all of the entertainment creative team members, with all the knowledge and abilities to produce high quality entertainment, left to find work elsewhere.

About 14 years later, Cedar Fair came into the picture. I don't think the upper management of CF put much priority into live entertainment at that time. Most of the entertainment was small scale, think cabaret size. The old KECO parks got what the rest of the Cedar Fair parks were getting. For us old timers, too many show offerings looked like an amateur hour special.

But, I have noticed a slow transition over the last 9-10 years. It started with the performing talent gradually getting stronger with higher quality performers and better consistency in the casting. The show creation team has advanced in leaps and bounds over the last 4-5 years ("Heads Will Roll" anyone?). The one hurdle at this point is having one or two major shows with high-production values (i.e. expensive to create, produce, and run).

Not sure why Cedar Fair won't open the purse wider and at least test the waters in a handful of parks for a couple of seasons. I think the former Taft/KECO parks should be the test subjects and try it out on them. KD and the rest of those parks have an entertainment legacy.

It seems lately the special event entertainment (Carnivale, Halloween Haunt, and Winterfest) comes closer to the show quality of the Taft/KECO entertainment era than the regular season shows. Maybe the next move will be to take show production values up another step. One can only hope.

Cedar Fair is capable of some great shows. But then the stuck them in some awful, outdoor stand up venue like the I Street Band Stand. Where you can’t fully see the show.

This year Center Stage Live at Kings Island and Monster Mash Up at Cedar Point we’re EXCELLENT. Both shows had vocalists, dedicated dancers and live bands. Both of them had top rate choreography done by park employed choreographers.

The show at KI in fact had the same playlist as Bandstand Beat at KD, but totally different choreography. The KI show has almost every second of the show choreographed where the one at KD wasn’t.

The two major shows at Winterfest aren’t even Cedar Fair productions. They are through RWS, at least at KI. And they are BAD shows. Not the performers. The show content.

One huge problem with Winterfest entertainment is not using the local talent to perform in and to produce the major shows. At KI, that choreographer is dancing in Tinkers, the best local vocalists are stuck in the donkey barn and the band is strollling the midway.

CF has the talent employed but they prefer cookie cutter BAD RWS identical shows at all the Winterfests instead of allowing the local talent to create something great.

KI stuck this excellent show on the bandstand. And their bandstand is awful. Fully exposed to the sun and it sits lower than KDs so you really can’t see if there is a crowd. While their sit-down International Showplace sat empty all year.

I agree that Paramount put the wrecking ball to the entertainment venues. They decided they wanted to market the parks to the coaster rider demographic with less disposable income instead of the Dollywood type show watching train riding demographic with more disposable income. This is one reason KD is a ghost town a lot of days. They only appeal to thrill riders and their coasters are B class at best.

Went last night, very empty for any night much less a Saturday. Forecast was rainy but ended up being warm -- I got my barefoot Dominator winter rides. Some rides closed, at least after 9, incl. Dodgem & Great Pumpkin. Should be more of the same tonight. Winter returns tomorrow!

Reactions: Coasternerd
Sunday Jan 2 was the smallest crowd I have ever seen at KD. Will they operate this Saturday with high of 40 low of 18? Cedar Fair is known for park closures based on crowd size. At least last Sunday they stayed open until 10 for the people that came.

Reactions: bill s and Mwe BGW
Sunday Jan 2 was the smallest crowd I have ever seen at KD. Will they operate this Saturday with high of 40 low of 18? Cedar Fair is known for park closures based on crowd size. At least last Sunday they stayed open until 10 for the people that came.

No idea if things will be different for Winterfest, but note that Cedar Fair closed its parks significantly less in the main portion 2021 compared to past seasons. In fact, I don’t think KD closed early once the entire season, despite several dismal weather (and attendance) days during the summer. I believe this is at least partially a result of operational leadership changes at both the corporate and park levels.

No idea if things will be different for Winterfest, but note that Cedar Fair closed its parks significantly less in the main portion 2021 compared to past seasons. In fact, I don’t think KD closed early once the entire season, despite several dismal weather (and attendance) days during the summer. I believe this is at least partially a result of operational leadership changes at both the corporate and park levels.
Thanks for the info. I have been burnt by KD several times in past years with closing due to weather in which they could have operated, but would have attracted a small crowd. Now I am very hesitant to make the trip there if weather is less than ideal.

This happened to me at Carowinds once too. 50 degrees. No rain. Closed 4 hours early due to crowd.

In the past when KD pulled that trick, BG WAS open. But im hesitant oh BG these days too as they try to save money every way possible.

I was at Kings Island on 12/28 and they closed 90 mins early. They announced due to rain, but it wasn’t raining hard or continually. It was obviously due to low crowd.

So Cedar Fair is still up to they’re sleazy tricks. They sell their season passes and dining plans at low prices. I think their attitude is that if there is a low crowd (usually season pass holders) that they can pull these trucks because they sell the passes cheap. I can close to not renewing in 2022 because of these experiences.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad