Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Apparently the Pretzel World situation is bigger then it first appeared they closed around 6:30 and water can be seen POURING out of the storm drain under Mach Tower. I heard one staff member refer to it as "flooded out".

Attachments

• 20210513_194213.jpg
    20210513_194213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • 20210513_194208.jpg
    20210513_194208.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118
  • 20210513_193846.jpg
    20210513_193846.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
  • 20210513_193746.jpg
    20210513_193746.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
Is that a permanent pipe? I can't see the logic of a drain pipe flowing directly onto mud like that, or the county being ok with that design either

Uhh... I'm no erosion expert but... That last photo looks really bad... Right?

Well it could be and couldn't be. Those might be emergency drainage outlets that aren't used regularly and therefore one could say that the erosion is sporadic so it's not a huge deal. Those posts could have a much deeper bottom to them to account for the fact that erosion has happened.

To my eye I would say it's likely not an issue. It looks like they are doing work down there, so whatever grass, rocks, or shrubbery used to impede erosion in the first place may have been stripped away for them to do the work that they are doing. If they come behind with anything that can prevent erosion when they are done with the work it will likely be ok, especially given the location near MT and being that far above the water table, the inconsistent periods with which it drains could give the area time to dry and slow erosion.

Reactions: Zachary
I kept trying to scroll then realized the scrollbars were part of the screenshot LOL

Ah yeah... That's just an artifact. There isn't any relevant info below. Just instructions for the 811 people to enter the employee gate and proceed to Oktoberfest.

Was the pretzel place open over the weekend?
The reason I'm asking is: On Thursday night it closed early and we could rushing water over there.
That may be the location for the repairs.

Was the pretzel place open over the weekend?
The reason I'm asking is: On Thursday night it closed early and we could rushing water over there.
That may be the location for the repairs.
The location was definitely the water main right behind the place. Based on the description I don't think there was any way that the place had water over the weekend. It's a health code violation to open without hot water available so they would have had no option but to keep it closed.

Reactions: Zachary
Well it could be and couldn't be. Those might be emergency drainage outlets that aren't used regularly and therefore one could say that the erosion is sporadic so it's not a huge deal. Those posts could have a much deeper bottom to them to account for the fact that erosion has happened.

To my eye I would say it's likely not an issue. It looks like they are doing work down there, so whatever grass, rocks, or shrubbery used to impede erosion in the first place may have been stripped away for them to do the work that they are doing. If they come behind with anything that can prevent erosion when they are done with the work it will likely be ok, especially given the location near MT and being that far above the water table, the inconsistent periods with which it drains could give the area time to dry and slow erosion.
Not visible in this photo because the trees are blocking it is that the water is running down a photo that appears to have stone back filling and heading to the Rhine. That led me to assume they were normally there but that is a guess. It's also seems possible that some of what we are seeing as erosion is actually related to the work and deliberate and not caused by the water. Either way I don't see the water having come out with enough force to have made those if it only started flowing from the main break that day.

Not visible in this photo because the trees are blocking it is that the water is running down a photo that appears to have stone back filling and heading to the Rhine. That led me to assume they were normally there but that is a guess. It's also seems possible that some of what we are seeing as erosion is actually related to the work and deliberate and not caused by the water. Either way I don't see the water having come out with enough force to have made those if it only started flowing from the main break that day.

It's also feasible that the main could have been leaking long before it gave away... Usually mains break in the cold as far as I know.

It's also feasible that the main could have been leaking long before it gave away... Usually mains break in the cold as far as I know.
The main was broken between Pretzel World and the swings. There is no way it was leaking enough long from up there to cause this erosion under Mach Tower facing the Rhine. way to much surface area to disperse a small water flow for that kind of damage.

Any changes in this area @horsesboy ? Just noticed from other threads you're at the park.

Any changes in this area @horsesboy ? Just noticed from other threads you're at the park.
Funny you should mention cause I just walked through and was about to update. The main appears fixed with Pretzel World fully reopen. Backing up my gut feeling that the situation under Mach Tower was work and not erosion from the main break is that it has been filled in and it appears that everything around there is complete.

Attachments

• 20210520_180704.jpg
    20210520_180704.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
There was what looked like new concrete in front of Pretzel World....at the time we were walking past I had forgot about the main break or I would have looked more.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad