Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
My non-insider takes on the SEAS COO/CEO revolving door involves 1 of 4 base things:

1) SEAS board gets sold on an elevator pitch very easily. Guy comes in says all the right things, they get all excited, then they realize when they hire him that it was all talk and they were got. Seeing as not many were outright fired I put this at 10% likelihood.

2) SEAS board is overselling the position and freedom to the CEO/COO position of what they can can cannot do in their position. Basically they interview on ideas, and then when they get the job their ideas are shot down. I would put this as a 70% likelihood, mostly dinged for lack of time.

3) SEAS board wants to be Uber involved, flashes a big amount of money, and they (the hired person) realizes they are a board “yes man”. Given how much we’ve heard about board involvement I’d put this one at 80% chance.

4) They don’t even interview someone. They just look at an entertainment company that pulled itself out of problems and throw money at them. They take the job then realize how bad things are with the board and/or plans/finances and leave. I’d put this at 60% because they aren’t too quick to replace someone.

In all honesty I would love to see the SEAS Board do two things on this go round. One, get out of the way of the people you hire to do this job. Give them a budget and let them do what they want with it. And Two, hire someone that came up in your parks. As much as I would hate to see him go, the reverence with which Kevin speaks of BGW would make me feel awesome of him getting a position like that if they let him have control. I honestly think that’s what they need.

In all honesty I would love to see the SEAS Board do two things on this go round. One, get out of the way of the people you hire to do this job. Give them a budget and let them do what they want with it. And Two, hire someone that came up in your parks. As much as I would hate to see him go, the reverence with which Kevin speaks of BGW would make me feel awesome of him getting a position like that if they let him have control. I honestly think that’s what they need.

So much this - I think this is something that many companies do at all levels, but it's incredibly ridiculous for boardroom micromanaging officers of the company. Might as well not bother having their roles at all except something something SEC grumble grumble etc.

My non-insider takes on the SEAS COO/CEO revolving door involves 1 of 4 base things:

1) SEAS board gets sold on an elevator pitch very easily. Guy comes in says all the right things, they get all excited, then they realize when they hire him that it was all talk and they were got. Seeing as not many were outright fired I put this at 10% likelihood.
I've been in places where this is more common than you'd think. It's usually because the person doing the hiring doesn't do any real analysis on candidates and just goes with their gut. There aren't multiple rounds of interviews or background review of the candidate, just a quick look and hire.

One place I worked in brought it what seemed to be executive after executive that looked the part, but really had no actual management skill. On the flip side, good managers don't want to work for these kinds of leaders, so they tend to keep attracting poor candidates.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad