Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Location (Asia)
Japan
Just found out that the Big Thunder in Tokyo actually has 7 trains! Compared to the American and Parisian versions which only have 6, this incarnation can run up to 6 at a time. I found this out through online photos of the trains and timing the dispatches on videos.
 
I haven't seen a thread for this yet, but I think this might be one of the most exciting roller coaster projects to look forward to in the next few years.

1711907258959.png

Even though Tokyo Disneyland's Old Space Mountain's closing date is July 31, 2024, the construction has already begun for the new version of the attraction, and the track is on-site, showing that this is potentially an Intamin project (surprisingly).

After Cosmic Rewind, and with this being Intamin, I'm excited to see where this goes!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source
 
I heard a rumor that Vekoma and Disney may have had a falling out after Disney started running more trains than Vekoma wanted them to on Tron and Guardians (8 instead of 7 trains). It apparently leads to some very weird evacuations. But this same rumor also pointed out they could have Intamin be making a near clone of guardians for the space mountain at Tokyo. Take it with a grain of salt, but definitely something I found interesting.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mwe BGW
I'm wondering if they went with Intamin because of what Universal has been able to do with syncing up show scenes?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Coasternerd
An interesting piece of track was spotted. Some speculation online is that this is Disney's first drop track of some sort. If that is the case, this could be the reason Disney went with Intamin and not Vekoma, as I don't think Vekoma does drop tracks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source
1713713414176.png
1713713398863.png
 
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

This seems like such a great change. Perfect IP fit for the Astro Blasters ride system. Good, underrepresented, modern-Tomorrowland-appropriate IP. Finally replacing what is a very dated dark ride.

Hopefully we see this cloned to the US castle parks in the years ahead too. They could both use it.
 
Does this mean the Buzz IP moves to the new Space Mountain?

I do like the idea that this goes to MK one eventuallu because Toy Story pretty much should be concentrated in Hollywood Studios so the Buzz theme seems out of place.
 
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Ok that launch is cool looking. While I know they are not redoing Space Mountain in the US parks, I could totally see them using this on something in Disneyland Forward and/or as the coasted in MK's Villains land at WDW. Thinking the "wrong lever" bit from Emporer's New Groove"
 
Space Mountain Earthrise will have Omnicoaster controlled spinning vehicles a la Hollywood Drift/GotG
Are they putting Vekoma cars on an Intamin coaster track? Or has things changed and Vekoma is making this now? I know Disney probably owns the patent but I would think adapting the tech to an Intamin track would take some additional development.

Also is this still going to be Wreck it Ralph themed in the new Space Mountain? IIRC the Guardians Ride was supposed to be themed to the Big Bang which would work in Space Mountain.
 
Are they putting Vekoma cars on an Intamin coaster track? Or has things changed and Vekoma is making this now? I know Disney probably owns the patent but I would think adapting the tech to an Intamin track would take some additional development.
No, I'd imagine it's the Intamin spinning cars (e.g. Fast and Furious Hollywood Drift)
Also is this still going to be Wreck it Ralph themed in the new Space Mountain? IIRC the Guardians Ride was supposed to be themed to the Big Bang which would work in Space Mountain.
No, it was never supposed to be. Wreck it Ralph is an entirely separate ride replacing their Buzz Lightyear, that opens this year while Space Mountain opens next year. This is going to be themed to the earth in some way - the name is currently set as Space Mountain Earthrise according to trademarks
 
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad