Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
PJ! That man is awesome if you follow him on Facebook.

I saw the same thing, good chance there for KD is my guess.

Honestly I think I enjoyed TT more when it wasn't hauling quite as fast. It was less painful. Anyway, the fact that only Dominator will be open means it's unlikely we'll go. Especially since I don't feel entirely comfortable with the idea in the first place. COVID cases are increasing, not decreasing. I will miss the lights and music, though. Who knows. Maybe we'll end up making the trip.

Hopefully they're deciding. It's not a match with Carowinds without another major coaster at least.

Someone posted a map of the event on a Facebook page showing Racer as part of the lineup too. Not sure if that's official though. The layout looked really similar to Winterfest's 2018 layout minus most of Old Virginia.

Someone posted a map of the event on a Facebook page showing Racer as part of the lineup too. Not sure if that's official though. The layout looked really similar to Winterfest's 2018 layout minus most of Old Virginia.
Racer 75 would be easier to run than TT with restricted capacity. They can run 2/3 of the rows and both sides. If TT is run at half capacity it would probably require timed tickets to keep the queue from getting out of hand.

Referring to the screenshot above, the park's website says it will be open each day from 2pm to 8pm, which is different than what is on the picture.

Despite that detail, there is a good chance that the other information is true. For example, the calendar lines up with the one on the website and there are rides in each part of that map that have already been confirmed (Delirium, Dominator, Planet Snoopy Rides).

I'm very interested in seeing how this event plays out!

I didn't realize that they were opening so few days. Especially compared to BGW.
I dont believe that schedule is much of a reduction from Winterfest except of course November being missing. There's a Friday not on there and the week of New Years cut back, but its pretty close otherwise.

I dont believe that schedule is much of a reduction from Winterfest except of course November being missing. There's a Friday not on there and the week of New Years cut back, but its pretty close otherwise.
I guess I just didn't realize how few days they opened for Winterfest compared to BGW for Christmas Town.

And I think the week of Thanksgiving as well, which of course doesn’t apply in this case.

KD's 2020 Holiday event is 10-12 operating days shorter than the full 2019 Winterfest schedule from last year. This year the event opens the Saturday after Thanksgiving 12/05. Last year, KD opened Winterfest the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That means they lost 5-6 operating days for 2020. They lost another 5-6 operating days since this event closes Sunday, 12/27. So, no New Year's week operating days.

Carowinds had a 6-8 week leeway in planning their event because the state governments eased up COVID restrictions earlier. Carowinds Holiday event opens the weekend before Thanksgiving and close on Sunday, 12/20.

All that being said, I don't think there will be ice skating this year at KD. Also, some have reported that the Old Va section will not open this year (mobile KD app map).

Reactions: Mushroom
It was hauling last winterfest

I can testify to this.

For those who weren't there; I visited WinterFest 2019, on December 14th, 2019. I got to ride Twisted Timbers twice. That thing was hauling through the course like "I WAS LATE FOR WORK". But for those who think the cold effects it more; I would say that's up for debate. After the first drop; the train rips through the right turn like the bank got robbed.

It would be a shame for KD not to open it for WinterFest 2020. Me and my sister almost went to SFA's event; but when I looked at KD's ride list and saw that Twisted Timbers was open; we decided to take the 2 hour ride to the park. KD would literally be shooting themselves in the foot to keep Twisted Timbers closed. I hope they are reading these forums. The only other reason for closing it, could be for the threat of cold weather. The second time I went to Winterfest 2019, TT was closed for cold weather. The ride manufacture recommends closing it under 54 degrees for the threat of the fiber in the track breaking. This also called for Dominator to close too. With Dominator being a steel coaster; I was shocked that it closed.

KD, may want to consider installing heat lights underneath the loading station, to keep the wheels warm. SFA did this for Fright Fest 2020. Superman: Ride of Steel had heaters underneath the station. Pretty impressive and served the ride well.

Reactions: aerobadger
I can testify to this.

For those who weren't there; I visited WinterFest 2019, on December 14th, 2019. I got to ride Twisted Timbers twice. That thing was hauling through the course like "I WAS LATE FOR WORK". But for those who think the cold effects it more; I would say that's up for debate. After the first drop; the train rips through the right turn like the bank got robbed.

It would be a shame for KD not to open it for WinterFest 2020. Me and my sister almost went to SFA's event; but when I looked at KD's ride list and saw that Twisted Timbers was open; we decided to take the 2 hour ride to the park. KD would literally be shooting themselves in the foot to keep Twisted Timbers closed. I hope they are reading these forums. The only other reason for closing it, could be for the threat of cold weather. The second time I went to Winterfest 2019, TT was closed for cold weather. The ride manufacture recommends closing it under 54 degrees for the threat of the fiber in the track breaking. This also called for Dominator to close too. With Dominator being a steel coaster; I was shocked that it closed.

KD, may want to consider installing heat lights underneath the loading station, to keep the wheels warm. SFA did this for Fright Fest 2020. Superman: Ride of Steel had heaters underneath the station. Pretty impressive and served the ride well.

My girlfriend and I drove up from Raleigh, NC (about three hours) on December 30th last year just to squeeze in four more rides on Twisted Timbers and to put a bow on the year we became full-blown enthusiasts.

We had a whole bunch of plans this year with our Cedar Fair passes, but our [any] ride count remains at zero. Just looking forward to the days of when we ease our way back. We miss KD/BGW/Carowinds. She particularly likes the Grizzly standee in the gift shop by Grizzly.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad