Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 6, 2014
Hampton, VA USA
By Austin Bogues, abogues@vagazette.com

May 16, 2015

JAMES CITY — Danny and Janis Biggerstaff have a marriage filled with literal ups and downs. They met at a small amusement park in Pennsylvania and both are roller coaster enthusiasts.

When they got married, they said "I do" at the place they hold dearest.

When they moved to Virginia, the couple tied the knot riding Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 2000, at the suggestion of a friend and fellow member of the Mid-Atlantic Coaster Club.

As the train with their wedding party and officiant New Kent Sheriff F.W. Howard traveled up to the lofty peak, the couple exchanged their vows and shared their first kiss as man and wife.

As Busch Gardens celebrates its 40th anniversary this weekend, the Biggerstaffs are well known as two of the park's "superfans."

The couple visits the park more than 70 times per season, an impressive number considering they annually buy season's passes to King's Dominion, Universal Studios and Six Flags theme parks.

"Busch Gardens is our favorite theme park," Janis said. "It's an easy pick."

The couple estimate they have ridden their favorite coasters, like Apollo's Chariot or Alpengeist, more than 1,000 times. Alpengeist, Janice admits, gives her a little motion sickness, so she tries not to ride it too many times in a row.

They try to avoid Busch Gardens on Saturday nights during Howl-O-Scream because the lines tend to be longer. Most frequently, they go to the park on Fridays and Sunday evenings.

Danny said he has been on 383 roller coasters, and he is hoping to make it 400 within the next year.

"The first time I went to Busch Gardens I was 4 years old in 1978, and I saw the Loch Ness monster." While he didn't get to ride that day, years later in 1992, as a senior in high school, he attended the opening of the ride Drachenfire, which has since been closed and removed.

"I rode it about 37 times that day. That's the first time I knew I was a real coaster enthusiast," Danny said. "We've gotten to know the managers throughout the years and a lot of the people directly under them," Danny said.

"They always stop and talk with us for a few minutes. They've treated us real well over the years."

Source: http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-vg-jcc-busch-gardens-sidebar-couple-married-20150516,0,1275068.story

Aw I'm so happy those two are still together! When I was a wee mer-thing my sister and I had a site called Busch Gardens Online (I actually just found it again on Wayback Machine) and I actually did an email interview with the groom for an article! God that was SO long ago! I'm so glad they're still together and still going to Busch Gardens. <3

Thanks for posting this, Geo!

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad