Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
11,250
20,567
260
I couldn’t find a thread that’s a “catch all” that touches on this. If there is sorry Admins!!

But with BGT losing the park president and SPP being up for sale, SF having leased/sold parks, and Hershend’s recent expansion I have a long winding thought/feeling that I thought could be a good jumping point for conversation:

(And I apologize for the sort of free form thought flow here. This isn’t a topic in my brain that has a natural starting/ending point)

I’m going to start with - I despise the current state of the industry. Private Equity has killed it (like it’s trying with other industries) because they’re after the most valuable asset: the land. Now without getting too political, something needs to be done about PE and these practices that are destroying much more than most realize (because PE has done great marketing to keep the companies they bought the villain). And especially in the case of parks, the local boards need to do better zoning to keep land use EXTREMELY REGULATED so there would be very little value in the land if it weren’t a park.

Ok. Off that soap box and onto the one that matters:
IMO there’s been some bad moves for the industry lately.

I’ll start with the big one - the SF/CF merger. What a doozy of a blow to the industry. The two largest footprint brands merging and basically owning coast to coast park operations. (I know SWSD exists but it’s minimal compared to SF/CF scale)

It took the idea of competing regional parks and basically killed it. Sure United Parks/Hershey/Hershend still exist, but how much harder did it make it to break into that space? Because the new SF isn’t going to sell a bigger park to a competitor unless they absolutely are forced too. They would more likely do what they did with Enchanted. Move some smaller parks over.

Then in response other brands made their moves. Hershend, Enchanted. It basically made them tie up funds to lack the ability to expand. United has their own money issues to boot.

Now - I know and will acknowledge here that United has a fair number of self inflicted issues. There’s no defending that.

But that said.

United is in a place where the likely path to getting capital to fix the issues are to either sell (so saddle Someone else with the debt that maybe has deeper pockets) or offload single gates (which might be more valuable not as parks). It’s kinda a sucky place because the third route out for them is to basically lose money for a few years.

Here’s where I’m frustrated with the state: if SF kind of could have taken care of themselves or sold smaller parks on their own without merging with CF we would have had enough players with flexibility to ensure parks with financial issues could have survived.

Because when SPP gets sold, it sounds like the options are super limited and the options are companies who haven’t operated in this space. So what is United decides it’s time to sell SWSD or the Busch parks. Who’s to step up?

There’s a time where (as annoying as this will sound) I felt the Saudi PIF could have been a potential player. They operate parks with leased names. Maybe they could have decided to jump into owning a chain. But the decision for them to pull back takes them out IMO.

I dont see Disney or Universal doing anything. Maybe Universal could get involved in SPP since they are starting to get into the kid space. But how would they use the IP other than the one park. Maybe the owners of Legoland dive in.

But back to the United problem. If it comes to it, what’s going to happen? I fear we’re going to lose some parks out of a continued slide and issues with United. I dunno. I just hate a state of the industry where very high on the list results for a bad financial decision is park closures.
 
Interesting thoughts. I've heard very little about Universal's regional park ambitions since Frisco opened to self-inflicted influencer damage... but they should continue this program and go into new markets (Raleigh-Durham would be a good target for a second try, IMO).
Thanks for the comment. I’m just annoyed with the state and needed to get it off my chest the frustrations I have. I do fear that the Frisco project getting panned hard might kill and future regional kids parks for Universal too, and maybe scared off Disney too.

I mean too - part of me wants to really trace back my frustrations to the coaster wars and how it basically bankrupt some of the brands just because they were shelling out for unproven prototypes just to keep us and couldn’t maintain them. Maybe another day.
 
Thanks for the comment. I’m just annoyed with the state and needed to get it off my chest the frustrations I have. I do fear that the Frisco project getting panned hard might kill and future regional kids parks for Universal too, and maybe scared off Disney too.
Not sure Disney ever wanted a slice of the Regional parks pie, at least not right now. A lot of things seem to be in a holding pattern until the economy turns around - not going to rehash all the problems with the economy here but I have a feeling everyone is waiting around for things to get better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zachary
I don't think SF and CF were really competing against each other anymore, nor would doing so be productive. They're competing against the big destination parks, everything else and apathy. And even without those challenges, they have a future crisis as the fruits of the coaster wars expire.
 
I share most all of the doom and gloom about the space that you're vocalizing but allow me to paint a tiny bit of a silver lining.

Because when SPP gets sold, it sounds like the options are super limited and the options are companies who haven’t operated in this space.

This would be great news if you ask me. I think the industry could really use some big new brands making a go of things in the space. Netflix buying SPP? Bring it on. Lego buying Merlin out of the Legolands if Merlin keeps struggling? Sign me up. A tech company wants a park to act as a portal to their services and a marketing ploy for their brand? Let's see it.

Parks can be a great business—both in a vacuum and as a brand promotion play—but given all of the turbulence in the world, they can be an inconsistent business too. A lot of these properties would do well if they had a much larger, stable, steady-handed parent company that could take the occasional downturn in stride without having to hit the panic button, nuke the guest experience to save cash, and, in turn, ruin the park's reputation.

I'd welcome any major company to the space with open arms.
 
I share most all of the doom and gloom about the space that you're vocalizing but allow me to paint a tiny bit of a silver lining.



This would be great news if you ask me. I think the industry could really use some big new brands making a go of things in the space. Netflix buying SPP? Bring it on. Lego buying Merlin out of the Legolands if Merlin keeps struggling? Sign me up. A tech company wants a park to act as a portal to their services and a marketing ploy for their brand? Let's see it.

Parks can be a great business—both in a vacuum and as a brand promotion play—but given all of the turbulence in the world, they can be an inconsistent business too. A lot of these properties would do well if they had a much larger, stable, steady-handed parent company that could take the occasional downturn in stride without having to hit the panic button, nuke the guest experience to save cash, and, in turn, ruin the park's reputation.

I'd welcome any major company to the space with open arms.
Fair enough counter punch!

Maybe the industry has gotten stale and needs an outside force to shake it up. You are right that a major company with bigger backing can withstand the turbulence of tourism being up and down. I would say though I hope they do it on a small scale park first with dipping the toes in (like Lego buying out Merlin) than diving in and buying something bigger (like BGT).

But that still brings me back to my starting point of land being the valuable asset and concerns that the land parks sit on it what outside buyers would be after.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zachary
my worry about the industry right now besides pe is the replacements for these aging monsters of the coasters. it seems to me all the industry is thinking right now is just the family market. i think that is why we haven't seem much out of the thrill coasters innovations recently or more of the other ride models get sold like the axis or extreme spinner
 
  • Like
Reactions: wasteman
We may see more monster coasters once the current coaster wars monsters do age out, particularly if industry economics don't get worse/ideally improve. It is hard to fit a gigantic ride into a park, but when you lose one it makes more sense to fit another in. I mean, maybe you end up with a Bakunawa, but that is decidedly not a family coaster by any description. It's also partially that launch tech getting so good (and I assume cost reduced) means you can make a ride that is thrilling without it being necessarily huge, which has boosted the family market more than any other.
 
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad