Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Skyride

one of the best rides in the park, just saying
Dec 11, 2023
Charlottesville
I'm not a big coaster person and am wondering if I'll be fine with sooperdooperlooper if I'm fine with Comet? I've never been on a looping coaster before, but apparently sooperdooperlooper's a good place to start. Thoughts?

I'm not a big coaster person and am wondering if I'll be fine with sooperdooperlooper if I'm fine with Comet? I've never been on a looping coaster before, but apparently sooperdooperlooper's a good place to start. Thoughts?
You'll probably enjoy it. Post loop I don't remember it being all that intense.

Reactions: Zachary and Skyride
I watched the POV and the loop doesn't seem all too bad. The rest just looks like a kiddie coaster so I was baffled why it had a loop in the first place.

By the way, this is coming from someone that gets tense when it comes to the left turn after the drop on Grover's Alpine Express. Maybe it's just the camera that gets me.

Yes, you will be fine. It’s a very calming ride. My first inversion and it’s fun : )

Reactions: Skyride
It was my first looping coaster when I was a kid. I remember being terrified in anticipation of the loop and then the loop happened and it was no big deal - just felt like I was pressed into the seat. I genuinely love SDL, but that's partly nostalgia. Definitely a great intro to looping coasters.

Reactions: Skyride and Zachary
This was my daughters first inverted coaster at age 7 as well (in 2021). She enjoyed it so much that she wanted to go back and do it again right away. At least for us, this ride didn't have a long line, so there was not much time for her to psych herself out before she got on the coaster.

Another good ride in PA that’s a good intro to a multi looper is impulse at knoebels, my first multi looper. PA has a buuuunch of my coaster firsts

I wouldn’t call a vertical lift and vertical drop a good starter looping coaster. Also a slow in-line twist probably isn’t ideal.
No I said multi looper, once you’re comfortable with going upside down once, the only way you can go is up.

Also the only other multiloopers at Hershey are

Jolly rancher remix (shaky, and stupid intense)
Great bear (insanely whippy invert)
Wildcats revenge (another ride with hangtime and whip)
Fahrenheit (vert lift and more inversions than impulse)
Storm runner (intense and whippy as hell)

So impulse is a very good intro to multi looper, it’s not too tall, it has lapbars like SDL, the inversions aren’t insanely fast and whippy, the ride is smooth, and it isn’t too intense.

Reactions: nick
Lol. If you're going for "good first multi-looper," wouldn't that include the Loch Ness Monster, which is basically SooperDooperLooper but taller and faster and with one more loop?

• Haha
Reactions: farfeather and nick
SooperDooperLooper has lap bars only. Comparing a Schwarzkopf to an Arrow is sacrilegious.
More seriously though, although both coasters are great first coasters, why would someone want to drive an extra four and a half hours to ride their first looping coaster?
Jolly rancher remix (shaky, and stupid intense)
I must take exception with your assessment, the fourth generation Vekoma trains are fantastic. Every park needs to upgrade now. That being said, SDL is the better first coaster.

I tell you what. PA used to be the haven for getting into looping coasters. You could start to go on loopers with SooperDooperLooper, then you go to Dorney and you could have ridden Laser, another Schwarzkopf but double looping. Then back at HP you could go on Sidewinder. Then go on to Great Bear, Hydra at Dorney, and Storm Runner at Hershey.

Man, there really was a good time in PA where you could slowly graduate different loopers within a 2 hour drive of each other.

SooperDooperLooper has lap bars only. Comparing a Schwarzkopf to an Arrow is sacrilegious.
More seriously though, although both coasters are great first coasters, why would someone want to drive an extra four and a half hours to ride their first looping coaster?

I must take exception with your assessment, the fourth generation Vekoma trains are fantastic. Every park needs to upgrade now. That being said, SDL is the better first coaster.
I get people like them but i absolutely despiseeee the JRR trains, the vests are so tight. I like B&M vests over them, and i still cant believe that i like LC zoomerang over jrr. I really hope the flash trains vests are better but I’m weary of them.

Looper was my first ever inverted coaster, I rode it the year it opened. Loved it, and got back in the queue to ride it again.

The following year, I rode Loch Ness Monster at BGW.

Because I'm going to be at Hersheypark sometime in the near future anyways.

That was my point. Suggestions on traveling hours to get a good first ride is not helpful.
If this was a discussion on what the best first looping coaster in the country is, I would recommend SDL's sibling, Revolution at Magic Mountain.
If you like Comet, I think you will enjoy the runabout nature of SDL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skyride
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad