Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 21, 2010
Ok so for those that have been around awhile, you'll know I really don't post as much as I used to on here (OG member here). I get to the park around 3 or 4 times a year and when I do, it's for a couple of hours with friends and usually one loop around the park. So this was my first time going the park since HOS last year and my first observation is this place shouldn't be open.

I get that with year around operations now the chance to refurbish rides is much more difficult, but to have the main loop of the park closed off at the bridge AND having all the transportation rides closed is awful. I saw all day families having to navigate this, carrying strollers up and down the stairs down by the river and having to double back around the other side of the park all day. The other aspect is the amount of attractions that are currently closed. I didn't look at an official list, but I'd argue close to 30% of the park's attractions were closed. It baffles me that the park is still charging the full price for entry.

As someone who has a career in convincing people to spend their hard earn money on your attraction, I know every event, I better have everything at 100%. It just blows my mind at the state of the park and labeling it as appropriate to open. I waited years to see the park go to year around operations, but from what I saw, they have no business in doing it at all.

Ok so for those that have been around awhile, you'll know I really don't post as much as I used to on here (OG member here). I get to the park around 3 or 4 times a year and when I do, it's for a couple of hours with friends and usually one loop around the park. So this was my first time going the park since HOS last year and my first observation is this place shouldn't be open.

I get that with year around operations now the chance to refurbish rides is much more difficult, but to have the main loop of the park closed off at the bridge AND having all the transportation rides closed is awful. I saw all day families having to navigate this, carrying strollers up and down the stairs down by the river and having to double back around the other side of the park all day. The other aspect is the amount of attractions that are currently closed. I didn't look at an official list, but I'd argue close to 30% of the park's attractions were closed. It baffles me that the park is still charging the full price for entry.

As someone who has a career in convincing people to spend their hard earn money on your attraction, I know every event, I better have everything at 100%. It just blows my mind at the state of the park and labeling it as appropriate to open. I waited years to see the park go to year around operations, but from what I saw, they have no business in doing it at all.
I went in expecting a shitshow this weekend given the weather, bridge being out, 1 train/station ops, and the number of rides down (30% seems like a low number to be honest), but I only had one goal and that was Pantheon. And I totally hear what you are saying, especially when it comes to those paying full price for a day at BGW.

One thing the park could do is rethink their maintenance calendar, and do something similiar to what BGT does, where attractions cycle through maintenance throughout the year.

I think one thing missing is was this the park conditions that they had planned for. I have pretty good sourcing that both the bridge and the train were originally planned to be ready by mid February but thar the several weeks in a row of bad weather the end of January earlier February delayed them and both involved work that couldn't be paused midway through. The sky ride would have been running had it not been for wind conditions exceeding safety limits. On top of that we know that Griffon and Alpengeist were originally scheduled to open this weekend which was a major hit to park ops.

Now where I do think you have a point is there was no excuse for running Apollo with one train given that they did add one later. They should have been able to run more train a d both stations at Verbolten and I think that Invadr could have been running two trains.

Reactions: Zachary and mikes
Now where I do think you have a point is there was no excuse for running Apollo with one train given that they did add one later. They should have been able to run more train a d both stations at Verbolten and I think that Invadr could have been running two trains.
I wonder if they ever explore the idea of adding an extra train to each ride so they can continually cycle one out for maintinance. Wouldn’t shock me if one was out because they were working on it.

I wonder if they ever explore the idea of adding an extra train to each ride so they can continually cycle one out for maintinance. Wouldn’t shock me if one was out because they were working on it.
Since they gave up that flexibility with Nessie when they bought the new trains I doubt it

I went this weekend to ride Pantheon and while I enjoyed the new coaster the rest of the park was a waste of time. We only stayed three hours and I just rode Pantheon twice (used my wife's pass). AC had just one train and I think it broke down or stopped running around 3. I was surprised how much a beer now costs and none of the food options are worth staying for. My wife was disappointed with the merchandise in the stores (same old stuff). Never doing this again - I'll wait until the park fully opens before traveling down there again.

Honestly, the park is pretty open about what is closed and what is open. It's listed on the website in multiple locations. People hear the park is open and assume that means everything is open. It's a learning curve that will come with time.

When I visit SWO or BGT in January and February they have significant portions of the park closed due to their annual maintenance. It's a pretty standard practice down there. I think this will improve some next year as BGW continues to plan out there closures more. The reality of it is that @horsesboy is correct. They had a significant number of projects like the bridge, the railroad and Griffon and Alpen that were effected by weather and delayed. Being closed in January and February would not have changed their timelines at all.

Another thing to consider is that these events are not necessarily meant to attract guests to drive a great distance to travel. They are more meant to encourage local members to come and visit and spend a few hours and spend some money.

Another thing to consider is that these events are not necessarily meant to attract guests to drive a great distance to travel. They are more meant to encourage local members to come and visit and spend a few hours and spend some money.
And I'm more than happy to in order to keep having BGW as a weekend option! I think it's a mentality thing. Even on days when the coasters are down, I just ride the teacups and the scrambler if they're open. Or just strolling through the park, buying a snack, taking in a show, and my monthly BGW cup. We might be the only park this far north really doing year-round ops, so I try to enjoy what I can however I can.

Honestly, the park is pretty open about what is closed and what is open. It's listed on the website in multiple locations. People hear the park is open and assume that means everything is open. It's a learning curve that will come with time.
They need to do better at marketing as a limited attractions event. An ad I saw up this way leaned heavily on showing rides.

I was pleasantly surprised by just about everything on Friday. Employees were mostly all nice with the exception of a Guest relations lady that was still rambling about her previous bad interaction while I was standing in front of her, but anyways... I think this is an edge case year regarding your transportation issues. I don't expect to see a bridge go down again at the same time the train is down. What BGW needs in the short term is indoor attractions and indoor food offerings if they want to be open all year. Would I have made the trip if it wasn't for Pantheon?? Probably not again without more things open.

We had a great time yesterday. While everyone was crowded over in Italy, it left the rest of the park open. It was easier to catch all the shows and get a beer. I agree with the others that this time of year is really more for locals and pass members.

When I visit SWO or BGT in January and February they have significant portions of the park closed due to their annual maintenance. It's a pretty standard practice down there. I think this will improve some next year as BGW continues to plan out there closures more. The reality of it is that @horsesboy is correct. They had a significant number of projects like the bridge, the railroad and Griffon and Alpen that were effected by weather and delayed. Being closed in January and February would not have changed their timelines at all.

I knew going down that a lot of things would be closed and I was really just there to ride Pantheon. Regardless, it was still disappointing not be able to ride some of my favorite coasters. I do agree that keeping the park open is mostly just for locals, but if I was local there are better options for food and drink in Williamsburg. If the park opened at 10 instead of 12 we could have finished up earlier and found time to do some other things in Colonial Williamsburg. We did have dinner at Amber Ox and between that and Pantheon the trip was worth it but in all honesty I don't think I would do it again.

I do agree that keeping the park open is mostly just for locals, but if I was local there are better options for food and drink in Williamsburg.
I think this is the bigger problem. In a limited park experience they got to make some parts different. Inability to do so is going to take away the novelty fast.

Although for an event marketed to locals it sure seems MUCH busier than it should be.

Reactions: EdK and bill s
I think this is the bigger problem. In a limited park experience they got to make some parts different. Inability to do so is going to take away the novelty fast.

Although for an event marketed to locals it sure seems MUCH busier than it should be.
I would argue that Winter Weekends and Mardi Gras were marketed to locals but that St. Patrick’s Day Celebration was marketed more broadly which is why Pantheon previewed and will open during that. But as stated before the parkbalso was planning to have more open so that wasn't unreasonable.

@horsesboy is correct. This current event was supposed to be geared towards everyone and not just locals like Winter Weekends and Mardi Gras. The weather however that caused all the closures also delayed a lot of projects and that caused stuff to not be ready yet. That's why we are seeing unfinished paint jobs and bridges but being ready. All of that was supposed to be done by last weekend from what I've heard from my sources.

Which kinda points to - this isn't exactly super abnormal weather for Virginia this time of year, so how would they not have contingencies in place when weather delays projects?

Reactions: Nicole and Mamunia
Which kinda points to - this isn't exactly super abnormal weather for Virginia this time of year, so how would they not have contingencies in place when weather delays projects?
The weather wasn't abnormal but the length and frequency is. I remember reading somewhere that the last time we had 3 winter storms 3 weeks in a row was over 50 years ago.

also- we don’t typically get that much snow, and when we do isn’t usually until around this time of the winter.

Fair, but there's always bad storms in the winter even if they don't always bring snow.

There are lots of valid arguments here, but I guess my main point is, if you know you're going to have delays in completing jobs like the bridge, then you should have back up plans in place like the train. Or reschedule how to you plan your maintenance year around so there is a train available.

I also get that this event was catered to locals. Clearly I'm one of them. And my argument isn't that BGW was shady and hid that so many of the rides were closed, but that their schedule for maintenance isn't well thought out with these events in mind and the price should reflect what's available.

It just baffles me that a Saturday in March with so much of the park unfinished and unavailable is the same price as a wide open Saturday in the middle of the summer, and that's on top of a $30 parking fee just to get in.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad