Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jul 18, 2015
Orlando fl.
Amusement-park operator SeaWorld (SEAS) admitted Thursday that employees have posed as animal rights activists to spy on critics and that the company will end the practice.

The acknowledgment came after People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals last year accused San Diego park worker Paul McComb of spying on the organization's anti-SeaWorld protests.

It also comes less than a week after SeaWorld announced a shakeup in its executive ranks, including the departures of the company's chief parks operations officer, chief zoological officer and San Antonio park director.

SeaWorld CEO Joel Manby told analysts on a conference call Thursday morning that the company's board has "directed management to end the practice in which certain employees pose as animal rights activists."
 It looks like their stocks have taken a hit from it too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-25-15-48-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-25-15-48-24.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 12
I saw this today in the Richmond Times Dispatch. For one thing, I hate to see this in the newspaper, on the other hand I'm glad that they fessed up.
qkYgA

I'm upset they got caught cause this was a preemptive measure to prevent PETA from trying to pull its crap on the company of which we have had enough of at this point.

While I totally understand SeaWorld's motivation was just to level the playing field, they really need to appear as the more professional one, if only to appease the shareholders and government.

You know this despite this being the first time we have heard of about it I bet you Sea World has done something similar to this before.

I want to turn this to another possible perspective for a bit. Nobody knows what SeaWorld is aware of. They could know something we don't. PETA has been known to implement radical action including- bombing factories/animal labs,euthanasia,spies, etc. SeaWorld in particular has had numerous threats of illegal activity. I think SeaWorld had/has every reason to be worried in light of this.

I'm not saying what they did was right, or "ethical". However, I think this is all irrelevant if anyone/thing was potentially in danger. The fact is, they got caught. That is never flattering, even when it happens to our own country.

However, I'm sure they could have found another way around this. I'm confident that they will continue to look for ways to ensure their safety, even if it involves our government. Besides, they mentioned that they are implementing new safety measures in their conference call, via an outside source (who's name I didn't catch). I hope that it's just that- safety.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad